Windows8

Computer questions and any issues you have with these forums.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Windows8

Post by John Donnelly »

Not really a new topic, but don't know where else to put this.

Got a new computer with Windows8 installed on Tuesday.

Nearly threw it out the window, but now the penny has dropped a wee bit. Still struggling.

It's a whole new ball game from my trusted XP.

Anybody else find it difficut? My friend installed it a couple of months ago, and deinstalled it within the week. He went to Windows7, which he says is much easier to get used to after XP.

JD.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Windows8

Post by Bruce »

If it really is windows 8, take it up to 8.1 - it's a free upgrade. Can be done online, but involves some very big downloads. It'll give you back something that is a bit like the old "start button".

For many people, Win7 is "more intuitive" if they're coming from XP - or perhaps it's just "less new fangled". But for many of the newer devices on the market, a windows 7 install is not trivial - I tried it on my daughter's laptop a few weeks ago, and while Win8 worked "out of the box", win7 did not have the correct wireless drivers.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Well I also have had to upgrade to 8.1 from XP .First time I have had to set up by myself. With help by telephone from daughter and Son in law of how to get into things. Now I am waiting for their return from abroad to help me get back into my email account,which I am told no longer exists. :D . Gave me a countdown the other week.Never thought I would need info from 10/11 yrs ago. :(

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

Worry not, or maybe more ... Windows 9 is about to be rushed out, because Win 8 is a commercial flop, like Vista.
Allegedly Win 9 is Win7 improved.

have a gander here;
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=windo ... 2&ie=UTF-8
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Microsoft was supposed to send my daughter an email yesterday with my code that I now need ,in case I ever get locked out of my email account. Now this morning ,as you will have guessed .I,m locked out. Will have to wait till she comes home from work, to see if it came after last night. She is not allowed her phone at work ,and must take out her sim card. :(

SC
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

I also went 'back' to Windows 7 from Windows 8. Because I use iPad and Android tablets more often these days, I get very frustrated at the frequent pauses and hiccups on Windows PCs.
I'm still saving up for a signature.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Well I am now back into emails, thanks to daughter. Microsoft sent me an email at 8.39 this morning ,when I was locked out. Now have my treasured code. :lol:

SC