The Best FREE Anti -Virus Software.

Computer questions and any issues you have with these forums.
Ross Sturgeon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The Best FREE Anti -Virus Software.

Post by Ross Sturgeon »

Well guys i know allot of people use AVG but you should try avast it has a free version. Avast will block any virus script. Sometimes you can get a false positive alert with many more software's i have had 0 with this. I have not ever had one virus while running this software.

Avast :D
Thank you for viewing my post... :D
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The Best FREE Anti -Virus Software.

Post by georgersweir »

If you want to give Ross's recommendation a try, you can download the free version of Avast from
here.
I'm still saving up for a signature.
Lynda
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Lynda »

I had to put laptop into get fixed at the weekend as I could not get any pages to open up.the guy said it was a couple of programmes fighting each other that caused it..and the virus checker you are talking about is what he has put in.So would I be better keeping it in

linda
Bob Bryden
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Bob Bryden »

I have been using the Free version of Avast for several years & find it excellent. I wouldn't trust AVG especially after an incident at the local C.A.B. a few years ago. I used to work there as a volunteer & they had AVG installed on their computers until on one occasion it found a virus but could not delete it. The computer technician replaced it with the free version of Avast & thereafter no problems.

Bob
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Last night I logged in to the 3t's, everything was fine. My remote mouse wondered off as it often does, and on return to the 3t's I had this notice.
blockout.jpg
My hard drive had taken on the persona of a hairdryer I ran various virus checks without any problems identified.
I systematically shut down the programmes running in the background, each time trying to log on to the 3t's.
During this process I received a notice from AVG with the same information as earlier, I thought this strange, I have removed AVG from my comp and installed Avast.
Back in the 3t's and posting. :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

LP, Around twenty-four hours ago our site and all other sites on our host's servers were down for around four hours - nothing I could control. They were probably doing emergency work on the servers, otherwise we'd have been informed there was down time expected. It's a rare occurrence. :wink:
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

I had the same problem here, Hugh. Nearly rang you to find out if it was a fault of mine, but got in a few hours later.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Hughie, had the same problem tonight but much less stressful knowing that its out of our hands. Tried to log in just after 8pm, no joy, did I panic and start running checks, NO. Went off and done other things, watched a documentary on " Turtle Boy", returned to the comp 11 pm and it was sorted. Stress free. :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ditto, LP.
Approximately 7ish-10.45ish ?
:?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I couldn't log in earlier..thought it wiz just me, glad to know for once it wiznae..!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Richard

Post by Richard »

No, not just you, Morag.
Everyone, I think.
Same last night for about 3-4 hours.
Something to do with servers I think.
Outwith Hughie's control.
:roll:
Witterquick
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Witterquick »

I can confirm that just now Avast is the best lightweight free anti virus program going - been using it for a while now, and have been recommending it to anyone who asks for advice. AVG used to be good but has since become a bit resource hungry!