bands from saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Vinegarjoe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: bands from saltcoats

Post by Vinegarjoe »

I remember a Stevenston band in the '60's called The Kraze.

Consisted of Tommy Bryce (Vocals), Johnny Walker (Guitar), Auley Graham (Bass) and Rab Grayston (Drums).

Small time but played Thistle Club, St Johns hall etc.

Drove around in a multi-coloured Commer Van.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Robert Grayston used to be a much-loved member of our forum in its earlier years, Phil; and much-missed since he sadly passed away a few years ago. He posted under the username Bobbydarg.

Among his posts was this picture of the Kraze in action:

http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 290#p57290

And there are a number of other mentions, including in this older topic about local groups and dance bands where quite a few others are remembered.

http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 756#p65756

Susan
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Goodness knows the name
Tommy Newell drums, Thomson Ellingham bass,Colin Brown organ, Kevin McDevit vocals And the best Roger Daltrey Impression , and forgotten the guitarist name stay at the house that juts into the Plantation

Technically it was about 50/50 Stevenston /Saltcoats and the rest Ardrossan ????
Vinegarjoe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Vinegarjoe »

[quote]Robert Grayston used to be a much-loved member of our forum in its earlier years, Phil; and much-missed since he sadly passed away a few years ago. He posted under the username Bobbydarg./quote]

Very sorry to hear that. Never knew he was the pseudo Bobbydarg.Saw his posts many times. Knew Rab from LBs, BBs and from Barclays in Kilmarnock where he was a machineman.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Vinegarjoe wrote:Very sorry to hear that. Never knew he was the pseudo Bobbydarg. Saw his posts many times. Knew Rab from LBs, BBs and from Barclays in Kilmarnock where he was a machineman.
Knew Robert (Bobbydarg) well from when himself and his wife were regular customers in the shop I worked in in Stevenston. Didn't know he played the drums in a Band, but can honestly say a truer gent you couldn't meet.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

michaelm wrote:
Vinegarjoe wrote:Very sorry to hear that. Never knew he was the pseudo Bobbydarg. Saw his posts many times. Knew Rab from LBs, BBs and from Barclays in Kilmarnock where he was a machineman.
Knew Robert (Bobbydarg) well from when himself and his wife were regular customers in the shop I worked in in Stevenston. Didn't know he played the drums in a Band, but can honestly say a truer gent you couldn't meet.
Yes, privileged to meet him at a re-union, very self effacing, but had some good banter on here with him!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

stivis wrote:Goodness knows the name
Tommy Newell drums, Thomson Ellingham bass,Colin Brown organ, Kevin McDevit vocals And the best Roger Daltrey Impression , and forgotten the guitarist name stay at the house that juts into the Plantation

Technically it was about 50/50 Stevenston /Saltcoats and the rest Ardrossan ????
Would that Colin Brown be my old neighbour from Castle Ave. in Stevenston? Born mid 1940's.

JD.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

No,
Stayed at the top of Glencairn Street , his father was the butcher in New Street, might have go off to be a Doctor
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Hi stivis, that's jogged my memory a wee bit.
In the early 70's I worked initially as a 'message boy' for John Brown the butcher in New Street Stevenston. I remember his son Colin, as he took me round in the car for the first week or so to help me learn my 'run'. I think he was on holiday from Uni. at the time.

A very well spoken and likeable guy, he used to speak highly of Bands such as 'Yes' - 'Crosby Stills and Nash' - 'Emerson Lake and Palmer' etc.(although at the time I was more of a 'Slade' and 'T Rex' freak myself) Colin just seemed to have that 'Brainbox' look about him - and the round John Lennon type specs probably added to that.

Kevin McDevit is possibly the older brother of a guy I attended old St. John's with, Tony McDevit. I think they lived in Hayocks rd. just a few yards up from 'Pops' shop.

Later on, I also knew of Thomson Ellingham, (sadly I believe, no longer with us) I'm not sure which of the threetowns he originated from but pretty certain he lived in Stevenston for a number of years.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

He had Classical lessons on piano,allegedly hence the " Prog Rock" vibe, still new wave was around the corner.And you could listen to Captain Beefheart,in the meantime
Technically it wasn't ELP but the Nice
Kevin McDevit is possibly the older brother of a guy I attended old St. John's with, Tony McDevit. I think they lived in Hayocks rd. just a few yards up from 'Pops' shop.
You're spot on with that Kevin booked the Who, Slik (,Midge Ure) at the Castle Craigs (circa 1973)On the down side he also booked the Bay City Rollers

Thomson Ellingham was from Stevenston
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

stivis wrote:You're spot on with that Kevin booked the Who, Slik (,Midge Ure) at the Castle Craigs (circa 1973)On the down side he also booked the Bay City Rollers
As the old Meat Loaf song goes .... "Two outa three aint bad" :wink:

And as a wee aside, I remember seeing 'Slik' at the Moorings in Largs round about 73/74. Ure had quite a unique and powerful voice back then - even before his later and successful Ultravox days.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

There was a music TV program called Revolver, it was kind of cutting edge music wise around the time OGWT had kicked off ,Anyway the idea was that Peter Cook was the Cranky old Theatre Manager , and introduced these upstarts
And he introduced Midge Ure when he was without a band , playing a large Wurlitzer or Hammond Organ and he was seriously good.
It was at a period when he played with Thin Lizzie,I think

73/74? I'd moved on to Alex Harvey and Dr.Feelgood