Kind acts remembered

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Kind acts remembered

Post by Hughie »

When I was a wee boy going to the "Wee school" Winton Primary, the teacher I remember most, apart from the headmistress Miss McIlwraith, was a Miss McCallum. She must have thought me a poor wee soul in that snowy
winter of 1948/49 'cause she gave me a lovely warm balaclava. :)

I recall her walking to school from the direction of Hunter Avenue. A few years ago while doing some research into my McCallum name I was looking through the 1965 phone book and found a Miss C. H. McCallum living in Hunter Avenue and again in the 1990 phone book. Anyhoo her kind act stuck in this former wee six year old's memory.

Is there a kind act that sticks in your memory?
sparralegs
Settling In
Settling In

Re: Kind acts remembered

Post by sparralegs »

Hi Hughie . Miss McCallum was an angel. Between ages of 6-8 I spent a lot of time in Seafield hospital and she came to visit me most weekend's whith some homework and of course she also had a few treats for me like sweets, crayon's, coloured paper and comic's. She even came up to the house to visit me.I lost a lot of schooling which held me back a year all through school, It could have been a lot more if it hadn't been for Miss McCallum.I loved that wee lady.
BobP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Kind acts remembered

Post by BobP »

Hamish Fraser, another teacher, always sticks out in my mind.

Hamish taught at St Mary`s in Springvale St and for a child, he could be an intimidating man with a larger than life presence and an ever present stammer- but what a good teacher, instilling in me a love for language .

Hamish and his family lived near me in the bungalows, but up in the posh houses near Canal St and I always remember one of his son`s, was it Stephen, inviting me to come to his house to read books (no doubt instigated by his father)

Given that the usual entreaty in my house was "get your bloody head out of that book", it was an interesting counterpoint

What I remember most was Hamish allowing me to borrow books on the promise and "on my word of honour" that I would not draw on it and when I brought it back I could have another.

I know that terms such as non-judgemental and encouraging inclusion are contemporary concepts but with the benefit of hindsight. Hamish and his family "walked the walk" long before the individuals who coined these phrases were born