Fish Pie

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Fish Pie

Post by little plum »

I love fish pie, it's usually supermarket stuff I have, and this can vary in quality. I decided to make my own last week using smoked Haddock. If I say so myself the outcome was quite successful flavour wise, but to be honest, the texture of the mashed potato topping was quite watery. I boiled the potatoes, drained, added a wee drop of milk and a knob of butter, seasoned, then mashed. Have I missed out on some process to remove the moisture from the potato. ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Fish Pie

Post by morag »

Aye.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

morag wrote:Aye.
Morag, I would like to thank you with the quick response, but I dont think this was the problem. I had already removed the aye's and skins anaw.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I'd skip the milk. Or, use instant potatoes, yes, it goes against the grain, but sometimes it works..
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

little plum wrote:Have I missed out on some process to remove the moisture from the potato. ?
Think it might be more the type of potatoes you were using LP - I use either King Edwards or, if I can get them, Golden Wonders. At a push, I use Auntie Delia's favourite, Desiree but they aren't my favourites.

Meg
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

We're making Sheppard's pie tomorrow in our men's kitchen in addition to a Tuna bake. As for the soggy tatties, I'd consider powdered milk. But what do I know. :roll:

Mind you I'm awful popular at home as is Netta's Bobby - we save them cooking for two days each week ... oh yes three days, counting our fish and chip night. //perfect
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

have a recipe, untried, that calls for using salt and vinegar kettle style chips (crisps) as a coating for fish. You spread mayo on the fish, then the slightly crushed chips and bake. I'll try it and let you know!
C.S.Lewis
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi LP,

even though I say it myself, I make a mean mashed tatty.

Don't let them get too soft. When they fall off the fork, they're ready, then drain and let steam dry for a couple of minutes.
No milk, just butter; trial and error will get you there; no' too much, no' too little.
Once mashed and the butter mixed in, stir it round vigourously with a fork on a high gas for a minute or so.
It will become like a lump of dough. Keep turning it over so that it doesn't stick to the pan.
Then add your fish.

Good luck,

JD.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Thank you for the suggestions, a bit of trial and error required. :)
morag wrote:have a recipe, untried, that calls for using salt and vinegar kettle style chips (crisps) as a coating for fish. You spread mayo on the fish, then the slightly crushed chips and bake. I'll try it and let you know!
Morag, this recipe sounds very similar to one that I use for Salmon steaks. I put the fish in tinfoil (aluminium) , add a knob of butter, season and sprinkle it with mixed herbs and then make a parcel. When ready, coat the fish with spreading cheese and then sprinkle bread crumbs on it. Toast under the grill until the breadcrumbs turn golden brown, serve with a salad. Yum. 8)