Searching for Smith Family

For those researching family in the three towns area.
bcmj223
New Poster
New Poster

Searching for Smith Family

Post by bcmj223 »

Finally found "where" in Scotland my great grandfather was from!
He was born in Stevenston October 29, 1887. Any suggestion where I might find a birth certificate? His father was David O. Smith and his mothers name was Mary. I don't know her maiden name.
Any help is appreciated!
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Searching for Smith Family

Post by Hughie »

Hi and welcome to threetowners!
You should have no trouble getting a copy of the birth certificate considering the details you have. Just go to the Scottish GRO site at: http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/bdm/index.html

The certificate in addition to having the location of the birth will have details on his parent's wedding including his mother's maiden name.
Good Luck!
bcmj223
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bcmj223 »

THANKS Sooo--- Much for that info.!
I have been trying to find "what part" of Scotland my great grandfather was from for almost 2yrs! I actually came across that answer by accident on Friday! I was playing around online and came across a WWI draft registration card for him and it actually listed his birth City & County! It said Stevenston Ayrshire Scotland. Is the "Ayshire" part the county? Parish? Is that one in the same or something different? I appreciate the website to order the birth certificate! I'll send for that this week! :D I am a travel agent and I'm planning my first trip to England & Scotland, but didn't want to go over there until I knew what part of Scotland the family was from! Now I'm excited to come visit!! Any suggestion on where to stay in the area?
hewmac wrote:Hi and welcome to threetowners!
You should have no trouble getting a copy of the birth certificate considering the details you have. Just go to the Scottish GRO site at: http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/bdm/index.html

The certificate in addition to having the location of the birth will have details on his parent's wedding including his mother's maiden name.
Good Luck!
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Again,

It's nice to get such feedback. Once you get the birth certificate you'll probably send away immediately for his parent's marriage certificate. On that you'll find details of another four ancestors - the bride and groom's parents.

Yes, Ayrshire is the county.

As far as accommodation in the area is concerned I'm not really the person to ask - I've been away from the area a long time. Perhaps someone local can inform you on that.

Good luck!
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

As far as accommodation in the area is concerned I'm not really the person to ask - I've been away from the area a long time. Perhaps someone local can inform you on that.

Hello

Welcome to the group. I live in Ayrshire so am not the best person to ask about local hotels etc, however, I have got the tourist information brochure for friends visiting, and I have used it myself for places on Arran - it is very comprehensive - Hotels, B&B, Self Catering, caravans etc. You can get it by emailing, writing or phoning the Ayrshire Tourist Information Office at 22 Sandgate, Ayr, KA7 1BW Tel. 0845 2255121. They will send the brochure anywhere in the world.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Meg
bcmj223
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bcmj223 »

Thanks Meg!

I'll be sure to send for that information!
Cindy :)
Meg Gordon wrote:As far as accommodation in the area is concerned I'm not really the person to ask - I've been away from the area a long time. Perhaps someone local can inform you on that.

Hello

Welcome to the group. I live in Ayrshire so am not the best person to ask about local hotels etc, however, I have got the tourist information brochure for friends visiting, and I have used it myself for places on Arran - it is very comprehensive - Hotels, B&B, Self Catering, caravans etc. You can get it by emailing, writing or phoning the Ayrshire Tourist Information Office at 22 Sandgate, Ayr, KA7 1BW Tel. 0845 2255121. They will send the brochure anywhere in the world.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Meg
Ann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

finding birth certificates

Post by Ann »

Hello, you can contact the General Register Office of Scotland. Your request for a Birth Certificate can be done all online. I sent for a copy of one of my relatives Marriage Certificates and had it in less than 3 weeks.
I hope this helps
Ann