Papal Visit

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
BobP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Papal Visit

Post by BobP »

I have not been on the forum for quite a long time for family and personal reasons but having read today the cost of this man`s visit and bearing in mind the fact that my post may blocked I am posting nevertheless -

As an old St Mary`s (Church and School Boy),I felt compelled to come back on and try to say something and it is this: What a disgrace.

Let me ask this question, would the Roman Catholic Church open it`s arms to Rwanda`s Taylor , Amin, Milosevic,
Yet, at this time they are prepared to welcome with open arm`s a leader, part of a continuity of leaders in the past 30 years who, if not complicit in covering up the spiritual and emotional genocide of countless children abused by paedophile priests, must by natural law be held accountable for the actions of their subordinates

Should not this man be holed up in the luxury of the Vatican trying to restore some sense of faith to the ever decreasing and disenchanted catholics across the world who are and for many year,s have been forced to question the "inviolable tents of Christian faith". God almighty, it`s like inviting BP`s Tony Hayward to address the AGM of Greenpeace.

As I understand it, the Catholic Church is contributing 7000,000 pounds towards his pastoral "damage limitation" visit-sorry, when I was at St Mary`s that was a lot of money to help "the black babies"

A part of the reason that I stopped contributing to Threetowners was because I felt that so much of what was on the board was seen through rose tinted glasses and people all over the world luxuriating in the nostalgia of "what was"

Surely, with former Threetowners all over the world and with their benefit of age, experience and understanding of how the world really is, this post is allowable in opening a debate

"Aristotle was still fighting his corner when he was 60"
Lynda
leading Poster
leading Poster

Re: Papal Visit

Post by Lynda »

I dont attend church now but I was at st Mary's.I dont see a problem with the papal visit,as the last one we had was a great day out for a lot of people who would never be able to go to rome to see him there.Yes the church is paying so much towards it but they are having extra collections at mass and if you want to give you can.years ago the pope never left the vatican and not a lot of people saw them but john paul 2 broke the mould on that one.

As for covering up of the abused of children I dont think he can be responsible for that as sadly this goes on in all walks of life not just the catholic church and is also hushed up.

As for what is on the boards yes there is a lot of nostalgia and I for one like to read about what happened when my parents were young or places they went to and so on.To me it is part of local history and my grandkids love to hear about it and see all the old photos.

This post is not as elequent as yours but it is how I see things

linda
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

BobP wrote:
,,,,,Surely, with former Threetowners all over the world and with their benefit of age, experience and understanding of how the world really is, this post is allowable in opening a debate",,,,,
Hope springs eternal...

....Should have posted in McBlethers, though..;-
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

I think it's time the Vatican changed its view on priests not marrying.A god given right to reprocreate.It's one thing saying they are married to the church,but what about the human feelings given to them by God.
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Nobody forces them to join the priesthood. You want to be a priest and be married? There are religions so very close to Catholicism where you can do that. Don't wail and bemoan and try to change what you see as a(n) heritage just so you can stay Catholic. If you don't agree with it's demands by all means leave! Honest, you really won't be missed!
I'll address Bob's initial entry later. I think. Maybe.....lol!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I am much in agreement with Lynda's response. Having grown up, been educated etc. in the Catholic system and until recently ( 10 years?) been a regular churchgoer, I have no qualms about the money spent on this visit. It's not my money and who's money it is will mean a lot to them. The individuals guilty of the heinous sexual, usually, but let's not forget the stripping of your sense of self, especially for women in this very patriarchal society, crimes, should not be pasted on the pope(s). The hierarchy of most religions, Catholicism way up there, is such that, as in most families, the one that should, is usually the last to know. (This I've learnt the hard way!).
Catholics seem to have been given the headlines but I remember not long ago when several religions were guilty, just seems the papers focus on the Catholics. Anyone who aspires to a position of power in any way over others, regardless of the age / sex of those others, should be subjected to the highest tests, and still be suspect!
C.S.Lewis
Anne
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by Anne »

We have a married Priest in our Parish. Granted he was an Anglican Priest who became Catholic, still lives with his Wife and goes to visit His Grandchildren in Cape Town. He carries out all the duties any Priest does, so it can be done.

Politics & Regligion are very sensitive subjects ,and can result in things being said that are hurtful. This is not what I personally want to see taking over 3T's. I am sure there are other forums out there where controversial subjects can be discussed at great lengths. 3T's has brought a lot of laughter, memories & sometimes sadness into our lives. Perhaps I am being selfish in saying that is the way I would like to see it staying.

Anne
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

I agree with Anne , i like to think this is a light hearted site for people to relive their memories of the 3t's,for others to find out about the history and lives of the people.
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

I don't think I agree. This site has gleaned more, much more, than pleasant fluff. I don't think it's always light hearted,( but then, I'm not sure of other sites of this nature or if there are any.) And I don't think ignoring the 'past..present, hopefully not future' is positive. Most of us are beyond that, I'd hope, and so be a move foreward?
C.S.Lewis
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

A crime is a crime, any cover ups are a crime, no matter who does it.

I was brought up to never question what religon you were ,It don't matter, it's your belief.
Leave religion out of it
My answer for what is worth is in the first sentence
BobP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BobP »

With the benefit of reflection and a balanced and thoughtful PM from John Donnelly (John I did respond to you but somehow lost the post) I think that perhaps it would be wise to refrain from any further postings from me in this thread. I did believe however that it was a valid topic for the Forum ,forgetting the old adage about discussing religion or politics.

John, I will repost when I get some time

I
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

Stivis,
Yes it was a crime ,and the coverups .What steps are taken in the future to eliminate this happening again will be judged.

Morag,
Sorry perhaps used the wrong words ,as history is not a lighted hearted subject.I also feel the "McBlether "board is the wrong place for this discussion,perhaps "Topical "subjects,or a new board"Politics and Religion"