Jerry's Pier, Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
mo_gacky
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Jerry's Pier, Ardrossan

Post by mo_gacky »

me 2 also ardrossanboy ??
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

The Wayback Machine page only shows One page for Ardrossan Harbour Company but no clickable links to the archived ardrossanships.com . Is there a direct URL link to the pages about Gerry's Pier?
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

From my recollections (search this forum) there was legal action threatened against the website owner. I believe he may have got a 'cease and desist' letter. At the time there may have been bad feelings about the instigator of this action, in that he had history in this area.
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

This is from the 1856 map and it looks like it was a larger sandy bay that smaller boats could have been pulled up and chained to the low wall at the east end.
Richard

Post by Richard »

PT,
I don't know if this has any relevance or not but I note that you, and others, refer to it as "Jerry's pier".
Meanwhile, the link provided by Arb, above, shows a map/plan from 1856 which refers to it as "Gerry's pier".
Just a small observation that may be a clearer indication or clue as to the origins of the name?
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

I believe Jerry's (or Gerry's) Pier was named after Jeremiah McGill, who was a dock gateman in 1871 & according to this old post, harbourmaster.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/thr ... sages/7278
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
Richard

Post by Richard »

Excellent find, Irene.
I think this more or less confirms that it is 'J' and not 'G' (due to the name Jeremiah).
Also, the earliest date on that post in the link is 1867 which is only 10 years out from the date on Arb's map link.
The spelling, especially of names, was also particularly atrocious and inconsistent way back then, for various
reasons and, in a lot of cases, unrecognisable from what we may know nowadays.
Well done, good find.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

hahaya2004 wrote:I believe Jerry's (or Gerry's) Pier was named after Jeremiah McGill, who was a dock gateman in 1871 & according to this old post, harbourmaster.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/thr ... sages/7278
Irene,

What a tremendous piece of information. I've wondered for about 60 years now who the hell Jerry was.

I see now that the 13 March 1869 edition of the Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald intimated the death of JEREMIAH McGILL at Ardrossan Harbour. This was 11 years after Jeremiah himself intimated the birth of a son at Harbour Buildings.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
johndo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johndo »

Check link at the end great views of Jerrys and Winton pier's at the end.
http://ssa.nls.uk/film/4516?search_term ... _fuzzy=yes
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by harrysteell »

Hi all you from Ardrossan I spent many a long day on jerry's pier swimming and fishing, I seem to remember a small steam driven crane at the end of the pier or am I tottaly wrong ?
regads Harry.
johndo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by johndo »

Sorry wrong link
http://ssa.nls.uk/film/3677?search_term ... _fuzzy=yes

Also see on this like photos of infill in 1968 and alterations 1974 on this link to photos of harbour
http://ssa.nls.uk/film/3677?search_term ... zzy=yesour.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Penny Tray wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:22 pm The origin of Mongomerie, Winton and the Lighthouse Piers are apparent but does anyone know who or what Jerry was?
Thought I added some text here earlier today. :roll: It's Just to say I recovered an earlier image posted but lost through Photo_bucket - see up the page a bit Here