HMS DASHER

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: HMS DASHER

Post by Meg »

Enjoyed the documentary - and like JD, wondered how they got away with the fact that the body didn't have any water in the lungs - but maybe the Spanish didn't watch as many american tv programs as us :-)

Meg
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mike mccann »

Aye, it puzzled me too John. These guys weren't exactly Spilsburys !
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The disaster itself got but a passing mention almost a year after the event:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=XL ... sher&hl=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Kilmarnock Sheriff Court has given North Ayrshire Council permission to carry out excavation work on a suspected mass grave in Ardrossan Cemetery to establish if some of the Dasher victims are buried in it.

The story can be read on http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... e.19078477.

George
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

I'm going to throw a cat among the pigeons! Immediately prior to her loss, my grandfather Captain Edward McCreadie had been sitting in one of the seafront pavilions watching "DASHER" through his large binos. He saw an aircraft land-on and then disappear. This was soon followed by flames and smoke. It occurs to me, as ex-Navy, that the hanger-deck lift (positioned aft) was not in position and the aircraft simply dropped into this deck where ammo and aviation fuel were stored.

My uncle returned from playing at Holm Plantation to fiind my grandfather sitting in front of the fire with tears running down his face and my grandfather told him what he had witnessed. This man crossed the Atlantic in oil-tankers, against the U-boats, lost crewmen and vessels. The following day, two men (one a Saltcoats Police Officer, the other unknown) visited my grandfather and advised it would be best to forget what he saw. My grandfather did not say my uncle knew.

This was told to me by my uncle shortly before his passing. Believe it or not!

Jim McCreadie
Fremantle
Western Australia
danmdan
Settling In
Settling In

Post by danmdan »

But would any Spanish pathologist have the necessary experience to pick up poisoning, especially after getting a body which had been in the sea - the easy assumption would be drowning - and there would be a rush to bury in a hot Country.

If you want to float this theory of G. Michael not having been used as the "man who never was", you will need more evidence.

dan
danmdan
Settling In
Settling In

Post by danmdan »

In addition we should remember that the "body" was sealed in the cannister in London, and then driven north to the submarine - the cannister was next opened only at the point of delivery of the body into the water off the Spanish coast. So there was no opportunity for any decay to be discovered before delivery of the cannister at the submarine.

Ref: "Operation Mincemeat - Ben Macintyre, published 2010, Bloomsbury.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Rereading this thread has jogged an old memory. I first heard this story when I would have been in my early teens, (1950's). I read a book entitled, 'The Corpse that Hoaxed the Axis.' I remember quite well that it was in one of the Readers Digest condensed books.

JD.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Posts within this topic relating to the suspected mass grave dig at Ardrossan Cemetery have been extracted to form a separate topic. See HMS Dasher - suspected mass grave dig
ellenyoung31
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by ellenyoung31 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-20041361
Got this on B.B.C. on computer this morning thought you may
like to see it. Ellen
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

The following is a link to an article pointed out to me by a member from yesterday's Scotsman relating to HMS Dasher.
Paul243
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Paul243 »

The 80th Anniversary of the HMS Dasher sinking. The 'Dasher' weekend 25/26 March 2023 will again start on Saturday with, thanks to Calmac, the service and wreath laying above HMS Dashers final resting place and designated war grave. The ferry will continue to Arran for a short service before heading back to Ardrossan. Shortly after there will be another short service in Ardrossan Cemetery at the graves of the known crew members of HMS Dasher.
Saturday night will see the, now traditional 'Dasher' function, allowing family and friends to get together. This year it will be held in the Stevenston Masonic.
Sunday will see a much bigger parade than normal, starting along the Ardrossan shore around 10.30am with the parade led by a pipe band marching to the HMS Dasher memorial for a service and wreath laying. All members of the public are welcome to join us when we pay our respects on this special day. The media will be present. Any questions or if your group wishes to join us please contact our secretary Boab. sasbranchsecyrbls@gmail.com