A day trip to Irvine.

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: A day trip to Irvine.

Post by meekan »

My buddies and I always went to the Kings before going round to the Ritz. I think it was owned by the two Scott brothers? Three big Newcastle Brown Ales and we were gibbering. We went to the Ritz on a Friday night and a Sunday night, there was live bands those nights.
sweet caroline
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by sweet caroline »

The Bogside course in Irvine

In 1636 the first race meeting was established in Irvine Moor, later known as Bogside, by the Earl of Eglinton. This event became known as the Irvine Marymass Races, and celebrated the feast of the Annunciation, or lady day, on March 25th. The Marymass races took place on the flat, and it was not until 200 years later, with the formation of the Eglinton Park Racing Club in 1836, that jump racing took place.

The first steeplechase recorded in Scotland took place at Bogside on April 25th, 1839. Lord Eglinton owned two of the six runners, partnering his horse "Coventry" to victory over his other hope "Multum in Parvo". The West of Scotland Grand National, a handicap chase over about three miles with 100 guineas added money, was staged at Bogside on May 3rd, 1867. The race was won by the Duke of Hamilton's "The Elk" who is known as the first victor of the Scottish Grand National, which was the title taken up in 1881.
“He that has no fools, knaves, nor beggars in his family, was begot by a flash of lightning.” Thomas Fuller
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Hughie wrote:
The fun that was the special late bus back to the three towns after the Friday late dance at the Ritz.
Hughie,
I was listening to the football while working in the garden yesterday, and a player called Rooney was named.
It triggered something in my old brain box. Am I right in saying the company who owned and run the late night buses at the Ritz were called Rooney and they came from Kilwinning? Maybe john boy could tell us about them. I think they also used to run the workers buses to Hunterson power station when it was being built. :?
georgersweir
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by georgersweir »

sweet caroline wrote:The Bogside course in Irvine

In 1636 the first race meeting was established in Irvine Moor, later known as Bogside...
My understanding is that Bogside is not the same as Irvine Moor. Perhaps it was the race meeting that was renamed? Irvine Moor and Bogside are not far apart but are certainly not the same place under two names. The Marymass races are traditionally held on the Moor (and not at Bogside).
I'm still saving up for a signature.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

George,

I agree with you. Bogside was an actual racecourse. The Marymass races were run over what we referred to in the 1960s as The Moor, roughly 2 miles from Bogside. However, the part of the Moor used for the Marymass Races was previously called Cadgers Racecourse and appears on historical maps as thus.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

A wee photo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Irvin ... ourse2.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

Penny Tray wrote:George,

I agree with you. Bogside was an actual racecourse.
I remember attending a couple of meetings there. If my memory serves me right, it had a large spectators stand and enclosure. It was a very busy venue attracting celebs from the entertainment business. I'm sure it was also the venue for the " Scottish National" at one time.?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

LP,

You remember right! There was a large stand, various enclosures and a fairly substanial racecourse with fences. And the Scottish Grand National was held there until 1966 when the event was moved to Ayr Racecourse. I made a few bobs overtime there in my day.
wmh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by wmh »

Some of you I am sure may know Ian Murray who was a chef in the town for many years in a few of the hotels and later became the owner of the Ship Inn at the harbour in Irvine . Sadlly he died at the weekend of a massive heart attack while at his holiday home in Dubai . I think Ian would probably have been in his early sixties , a great pity he was an excellent business man and a very nice person .
wmh
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

WMH,

Sorry to hear this. I knew Ian from his early days in the Kings. He also owned the Turf at one time.
theresa hodgson
New Poster
New Poster

Post by theresa hodgson »

I remember many a weekend in Irvine, with my Papa Tom Murphy. We would walk the town and down to the Low Green and sometimes we would go to EgeltonWoods and the castle.Always loved the Marymass Fair.wonderful memories. Theresa.
jsmith
Settling In
Settling In

Post by jsmith »

I loved reading a day trip to Irvine, it brought back happy memories especially the ship inn we went there before going to the Ritz. Does any one rember the Garnock pub?