The Lees Lemonade Factory in Dalry Road, Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Helen Lee
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Re: The Lees Lemonade Factory in Dalry Road, Ardrossan

Post by Helen Lee »

Hello

My name is Helen Lee, daughter of Victor Lee. I have really enjoyed hearing your stories of Lees Lemonade and anymore would be received. I would like to see or hear about any stories you may have. The main reason for Lees going down was that my Grandfather, James Lee, passed away when my Dad was only 19. The machines were very old and needed replacing. With my grandfather gone and my dad being so young and not at all interested in the business decided to leave it to his cousin and move to England to pursue his love of racing. He was very successful and went on to run a retirement home for Ex Army Horses. He took early retirement and is living a relaxing life in Shropshire, England.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Welcome to the 3Ts Helen - looking forward to your contributions.

Meg
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 »

Hi Helen love to hear about our 3 T's history your post was very interesting looking forward to more about Lees Lemonade factory. A very big welcome to the boards.

Josephine. :)
bigwull
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by bigwull »

Hi Helen, good to hear you dad done well in what he loved, I do remember Lee's getting 'new' machinery from Turner & Ewing (lemonade) In Kilmarnock, don't know if your dad was still there at that time?
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

Hi Helen when we lived in South
Crescent we were frendly with
you dad and aunt Isabel that
was a long time ago
Margaret
oliver prin
Settling In
Settling In

Post by oliver prin »

I was in the same class as your dad at Ardrossan Academy please pass my regards on.Can you let us know more about the horse racing story
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

I'll second what Oliver says, I was in class with your Dad too. Pass on my regards.

Wee Boney
cdarnott
Settling In
Settling In

Post by cdarnott »

Hi folks reading with interest about the lemonade factory in Dalry road I vaguely remember it , there was a laundry just down from there aswell i lived in Harvey gardens which had just been built around 1967??

colin :D
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

Those of you with an interest in this topic might like to have a look at my posting to 'Jobs in School Holidays' in which I describe the six summers (1951 - 57) I spent working in the lemonade factory.
JHHL
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by JHHL »

Helen Lee,
Just discovered this site and from what you say your father Victor is my cousin, my dad was John Lee, Cameron's brother. Any information you have about my grandfather James Lee's father would be appreciated. I believe Cameron bought out my dad and his brother Tony's share in the business and then died. Victor then took over and as you said had no interest in the business. Interested to hear that your dad is enjoying his retirement. How is Tony?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

This is one of the (many) things I love about Hughie's site. We exemplify the Scottish diaspora, spread all over the globe, but those ties that bind...we're still all Threetooners!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
wardog54
Settling In
Settling In

Post by wardog54 »

I worked at lees for about 6 months, primarily unloading empties and loading full for delivery. When not doing that I was responsible for storage of new product coming off the line, as well as ensuring the amount being stored matched the amount being bottled,, both small and large bottles.

Friday evening was the paisley/Glasgow run, I was pretty excited when I was picked too go on my first run as a crew helper. I was so excited that I tripped on the railway line behind the factor and broke my left thumb and had a cut right to the bone. Needless to say no run for mr keener lol

David