Swine Flu - Big worry for travellers

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Swine Flu - Big worry for travellers

Post by Hughie »

Let's hope this swine flu which they say appears to be transmittable human to human is conquered very soon. Deaths so far appear to be restricted to Mexico, though it's said to now be in a few countries - USA and now Canada. Unlike other influences which for the most part attack the ill and elderly, this new strain attacks the fit, young and healthy.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Swine Flu - Big worry for travellers

Post by morag »

My cousin tell me a flight attendant to Heathrow has it...hmmmn
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Wildfowler Lounge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Wildfowler Lounge »

Hughie wrote:Unlike other influences which for the most part attack the ill and elderly, this new strain attacks the fit, young and healthy.
Just like the so-called Spanish 'flu which devastated what was left of Europe in the wake of WWI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not good.
http://protectthepope.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Hughie wrote:Let's hope this swine flu which they say appears to be transmittable human to human is conquered very soon. Deaths so far appear to be restricted to Mexico, though it's said to now be in a few countries - USA and now Canada.
Two suspected cases in Monklands hospital this morning Hughie. Glad I am not going to Mexico for my hols.

Meg
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

the two cases here in scotland are man and wife from polmont near edinburgh,across scotland up till now( 21.38pm tues 28th april )23 people are being tested for it ,forunately all cases outside mexico seem to be mild symptoms but a high up doctor in the world health organisation says it is inevitable someone in the uk will die from it, i sure do hope he is wrong.
James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

We flew to Qld last week and a man near us sneezed 6 times and never put his hand near his mouth once. I just got up and moved as far away as possible and that was before it was anounced here.
On the plane on the way home a man sneezed and you should have seen the heads all turn in his direction. Poor man. We were scared to cough to clear our throats for fear of drawing attention to ourselves.
Netta
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Wife got the shock of her life when the Channel Nine National TV news here in Oz did a door-stop interview with her pal who caught swine flu while on a cruise ship. She lives the other side of the city and we only see her two or three times a year - she's confined to home.

I tried a couple of chemists in Geelong today for face masks, but the medical ones are all sold out - only those industrial ones for keeping the dust out are left. Plenty of time though, I think we'll need them for the plane trips.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Bobby and I are sailing to Tasmania next weekend to catch up with Sally and George.
Think I'll take Glen 20 spray with me as we are only booked on the recliner seat area and that means there will be a few folk in a confined area. Or else we could just stand out on the deck all night and let the fresh air deal with the bugs.
Are you and John all geared up for the Celtic festival down your way that weekend, Hugh. We had hoped to visit then but booked the Tassie thing without realising it was the same date.
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

Have a good trip Netta and Bobby
say hello to sally and George Have you got
your mask
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

No, Maggie, we haven't got masks. Bobby says two painters masks put together should do the trick.
The Glen 20 will just have to do for the trip.
I don't think there really is a need for panic, Im sure more people get ill with the normal flu. Anyway I've had my flu injection this year and so has Bobby. That's one good thing about getting old, the injection is now free.
Will pass on your regards to Salgeo.