Scottish Special Housing Association

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Scottish Special Housing Association

Post by Mitchy »

When I was replying to another thread it crossed my mind that some rented houses years ago were owned by the Scottish Special Housing Association. In Saltcoats Auchenharvie Road, Mayfield Road, and Craigs Place were all SPHA. Were there any in Ardrossan and Stevenston?
Addie
Settling In
Settling In

Re: Scottish Special Housing Association

Post by Addie »

Hi yes there were sspha in Ardrossan,we lived in Ashgrove road and thats what they were.We moved there in 1954 ,some time after Dad died in 1973 Mum moved to Oak road, don't know if they were. Addie
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

i am in what was a ssha house we have been taken over by cunningham housing association,they bought the stock many years ago, when these houses were up for sale there was a meeting with a housing association from glasgow they had about 5million pounds to spend on upgrading our houses,they wanted only the mayfield housing stock,but ssha said no the sale consisted of all the houses in stevenston saltcots and ardrossan,they showed a slide show of other houses thay had bought and man you would have swore blin they were in londons belgravia,thats the extent of upgrading they went to,as for othere ex ssha houses in threetowns well theres the ones in ardrossan already mentioned, but also in ardrossan theres ones in st andrews road, in saltcoats we have the mayfield and also part of burns ave/boyd orr road (one side),and some in fleming cres,in stevenston there is some up the hayocks not sure the street names but i could go straight to them,maybe some1 can come up with the street names, another thing about ssha,you had to be nominated for one of there houses, if you were nominated for one of there houses (u got nominated by the council) u had to go through a prettty strict interview (dont know why i got one of the houses :lol: ) it was there way of picking and choosing there tenants.
James Barr (brvhrtjimmy)
Last edited by brvhrtjimmy on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Addie,

Your name is not McAteer by any chance?

JD
Addie
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Addie »

Hi John ,not Macateer they were the next door neighbours,Boyle was the name and we were neighbours in South cres. also. Addie
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Thanks Addie,

I was friends with Christopher McAteer when we were boys at St. Michaels.

Do you by chance still have any contact with the family. I would like to contact Christopher again.

JD.
belle
Settling In
Settling In

Post by belle »

I lived in Whitecraig Road in Ardrossan and I understand that the houses there were all Scottish Specials although I don't think there was anything really "special" about them - the lack of any heating is well remembered.

Elizabeth
Redcliffe
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

Plenty of SSPHA homes in the three towns then!
Addie
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Addie »

Hi John not sure where Christopher is maybe Australia,Anne lives in Roundside Terrace and Delia and Stephen still live in Ashgrove at least they did when I was back seven years ago, sorry could not be of more help.

Addie
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Thanks Addie,

Christopher moved to Australia, (via new Zealand - I think), back in the early 60's. I was at his wedding in Irvine,
(to Pat? Gunning), and they left straight from the reception to the boat.
I got his address from Andrew, (who arranged my father's funeral with the Co-op), and he was in Canberra then. That's 20 years ago now. We wrote a couple of times, but lost contact again. I still have that Canberra address, but doubt if he is still there. Maybe I'll write to that. You never know. It's the 3T's that start all the old memories bubbling up.

JD.
Aileen Shaw
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Aileen Shaw »

Hi
There were S.S.H.A. in Stevenston many years ago Wheatley Rd, at the top right hand side, Wheatley Pl I think there only about three or four houses there, and round Hayocks Rd down one side of Keir Hardie, Lesly Pl and along to Morrison Ave, all the houses look the same.
That was'nt yesterday.

Aileen
Addie
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Addie »

Good luck with your search J.D.You could always send short note to Delia with enquiry 4 Ashgrove rd.

Addie