Barber Shops Remembered

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Barber Shops Remembered

Post by Hughie »

From the Eglinton Hotel topic:
SHarris wrote:Does anyone remember the shops directly opposite the Hotel. One of them was a barbers
Yes, across the road from the Eglinton Hotel, that was Seamus Cunningham's barbers shop. A relative on my mother's side. Was in touch with him a few years ago he lives in Ireland.

Seamuses was the in barber in the three towns from around 1956 I would think - they flocked from all over to get their blow waves and Tony Curtis cuts. :roll: Every teddy boy in the district went to Seamus. The family lived in Rowanside Terrace, I think above the shops?

Does anyone remember a barber named something like Griffin in Glasgow Street Ardrossan in the mid to late 1940s. He had me greetin when I was a wain using one of those mechanical shears or whatever you call them. It was on the opposite side of the road from the Post Office and down a wee bit I would think.
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Barber Shops Remembered

Post by maggie T »

Hi, Cant recall Griffens,but I remember Charlie Wilders Daughter had a shop in Princess street,am sure she cut
both ,men and womans hair .MaggieT.
oilers
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by oilers »

When I was wee my faither used to to take me to Paddy Erskines barber shop in the close behind Murschies in Princes St. Seamus Cunninhams first shop was in West Kilbride we used to take the bus there to get our Tony Curtis.
Jimmym
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jimmym »

Hi Folk's i can remember Terry Erskines in Canal street, sister of Agnes married name Lennox mother of Bobby Lennox whom played for Celtic, Agnes lennox stayed below me in Barnett cresent.
scottyd
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by scottyd »

We used to go to both the Erskines in Ardrossan and Saltcoats.
I remember sitting on the board he put across the arms of the chair.
We used to always go on a Friday night for some reason and I hated going to school on a Monday after getting my hair cut.
One summer I had to get a crew cut to last me the whole summer - struggled to live down the ribbing i got from everybody !
Jimmym
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jimmym »

Hi Scott,
Your wright about the Friday but it was a great thing at the end of the school term me and both my brothers went straight in to Terry's for a crew cut and that was us for the full summer hols god how you tend to forget these things that's what is great about this site it brings us all with our recollections and it triggers some one Else's mind god where has it all gone
Mitchy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Mitchy »

When I was young I got taken to Jackie Browns Barbers at the Mayfield shops in Saltcoats. He put a plank of wood accross the arms of the seat for you to sit on and as an ex army Barber he only knew one haircut - right intae the wood!
maggie T
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by maggie T »

I remember,Dan Hill,Countess St,Mr McDerment,ChapelWell St.Dunns,Dockhead St, Brekinridges,Hamilton St.
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Am I right in thinking that Jimmy Erskine, in addition to having a shop at the foot of Raise Street next to the Bookies, also had a shop near the beginning of Argyle Road, next to a cafe? This location would have been near the junction of Raise Street and opposite a two or three story block of flats. I seem to recall it from my St Mary's days; mid-late 50's.

Jim McCreadie
Fremantle
Western Australia
harrysteell
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by harrysteell »

this one is for SHarris, I can remember mrs Harris well, from the hotel, and getting back to shops opposite there was a bookies shop run by big Mick Monaghan, and down from there was the princes bar, with the gas shop right on the corner,
Harry.
frank quinn
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by frank quinn »

In Stinson,
there was Northcoats, Blin Jocks, wan in New street, wan jist
through the station on the right & wan up the Hayocks i think it was
Murphy's, there were a few more, cannie remember, auld age ken

:lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
jarneilh
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jarneilh »

Aye Frank your right, the barber just through the Station Gates in Stevenston was Wullie Wilson's. He used to have a lady called "Senga" a lovely big blond woman working for him.
The one in New Street would that be "Wilson Kerrs" I think it's still their.

Regards Jim