Ardrossan Academy

Post about your old school - ask about old school pals
jane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Ardrossan Academy

Post by jane »

Hello again
Yes maybe I was a bit older than you. Elaine & I used to play tennis in the back garden and the ball would fly into the neighbours either side. I do remember your surname. I can remember there being an older boy in the first house on the right going up, I think he had a car (surname may have been Bonner?) Elaine and I were born 1953 and 1952. Elaine's sister Marion was quite a bit older than her. Elaine lives in Largs and has done for many years, we are still in touch. Her mother died a few years ago, as did Gordon McKillop's mum in the bungalow round on the Eglinton Road. Of course Elaine's mum's house has has been sold now. The Moultrie's father was a dentist in Saltcoats and I think the eldest son was more our age. I can remember Bannatyne at school but not one of my teachers. I moved away in 1966/67 and have been down in Essex ever since. There was a nursery on the left at the top of Seafield Drive just past McKelvie's house, used to have fireworks parties there, my father always used to have one in our garden.

Jane
jane
triphazard
Settling In
Settling In

Post by triphazard »

Hi Jane yes the bonar's lived next door to us on the Eglinton road side they have sold up also and moved on. I was born in 58 and our Ian in 45 but my cousin Scott Bannatyne would be about your age they lived at the top of Stanley drive.
I remember both Elaine and Marion. but as you say u guys were older than us.
Do you ever come back up the road?
I should vist more than I do but work a lot and need my time off lol

Martin
http://www.adorabledogs.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

[quote="triphazard"

Hi Martin, would your Uncle Archie have taught at Auchenharvie House, I spent the last two years of schooling
there, and a Mr Bannantyne was our Maths teacher, he was a lot of fun, only time in my life that I liked the maths
class, Im sure he lived up the street from me for a little while, that would be young street Ardrossan, could it have been the same one ??? Sarah
jane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jane »

my brother was born in 1956 David - he went to the academy primary. I can remember Scot Bannatyne but I think he may have been a year older than me. There was also a Brian Auld lived on the corner of Stanley Drive and Eglinton Road. My sisters Mary & Ruth were born in 1959 and went to the Winton School. Do you know the Ewing family, I was friendly with Christine, she also had a sister Alison a little younger and another younger sister who was a baby when I lived up there. Their father was the minister for the academy and also for the Barony Church.

Jane
jane
triphazard
Settling In
Settling In

Post by triphazard »

Sarah

My Uncle Archie was a maths teacher and I know he did teach at Auchenharvie at night school I think but im not sure, he was at Ardrossan Academy. (I had him for maths still hated it)
Dont think they ever lived in Young Street and two Bannatyne's teaching maths is a wee bit of a co-incidence.

Jane I think Alison Ewing was either in my year or the year above her name rings a bell. I remember being marched down to the Barony Kirk at least once a year for something but dont remember what lol prob xmass

Martin
http://www.adorabledogs.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Sarah »

[quote="triphazard"]Sarah

My Uncle Archie was a maths teacher and I know he did teach at Auchenharvie at night school I think but im not sure, he was at Ardrossan Academy. (I had him for maths still hated it)
Dont think they ever lived in Young Street and two Bannatyne's teaching maths is a wee bit of a co-incidence.

Hi Martin thanks for the reply, this was at Auchenharvie House before it was all demolished," long time ago"
also maybe a street off Young St, memory is starting to fade a bit. Sarah
kmcatz
New Poster
New Poster

Post by kmcatz »

My grandparents lived at 9 Seafield Drive, dad and I lived at 80 Eglinton Road just round the corner. I played with Paul Moultrie and Helen Ewing Christine's wee sister is still one of my best friends.
jane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jane »

I went to Ardrossan in September and met up with Christine Ewing, also saw Elaine Robertson who used to live next door to the Moultrie family. Christine is a teacher at Winton School and still lives in Ardrossan. I lived at number 73 Eglinton Road just at the bottom of Seafield Drive. I had a lovely few days up there meeting up with old friends. I remember Helen as a tiny baby, the Ewing family moved to Ardrossan just with Christine and Alison.

Jane
jane
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

jane wrote:Hello again
Yes maybe I was a bit older than you. Elaine & I used to play tennis in the back garden and the ball would fly into the neighbours either side. I do remember your surname. I can remember there being an older boy in the first house on the right going up, I think he had a car (surname may have been Bonner?) Elaine and I were born 1953 and 1952. Elaine's sister Marion was quite a bit older than her. Elaine lives in Largs and has done for many years, we are still in touch. Her mother died a few years ago, as did Gordon McKillop's mum in the bungalow round on the Eglinton Road. Of course Elaine's mum's house has has been sold now. The Moultrie's father was a dentist in Saltcoats and I think the eldest son was more our age. I can remember Bannatyne at school but not one of my teachers. I moved away in 1966/67 and have been down in Essex ever since. There was a nursery on the left at the top of Seafield Drive just past McKelvie's house, used to have fireworks parties there, my father always used to have one in our garden.

Jane
There was a Robert Bonner who was a science teacher locally, maybe at the academy? Probably would be in his mid to late 60's now.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

morag wrote:
jane wrote: There was a Robert Bonner who was a science teacher locally, maybe at the academy? Probably would be in his mid to late 60's now.
Morag, there was a Mr Bonner at Stevenston Higher Grade. Mid to late 60's, taught one of those boring subjects but he made it interesting by relating the subjects to everyday items. Well, I use that term loosely, it was usually bits from his motorbike. He wasn't there long, I'm sure he went off to travel the world on his bike, seen him some years later on the telly, I think it was one of those debating programmes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sheenaj »

Hi Jane! Just reading your posting on the school and remembering school mates.Did not know Christine became a teacher-good for her! I saw her only once since those days,a number of years ago whilst visiting home and walking along the promenade also recall Elaine and Joy.I also was in that gaelic choir of Ms.McDougalls.We had concerts at the Ingledene along with country dancing.Also recall Jennifer Jack she was my main rival at the Ayrshire athletic track events-Nice girl.:-) I noticed in one of the S&H clippings that Lynwynn rourke's Mum had died-do you remember Lynwynn.I caught sight of her on my last trip over heading down Hamilton Street with 2 large dogs,unfortunately I was too slow on the uptake to catch up with her. .
Also do you recall Maureen Sheilds -lived in Stevenston, Dad owned 'Greystone hotel' Funny thing my folks had mentioned they thought we were related but being young you don't pay much attention.But doing the Family tree found she was related on the Stewart/McCreadie line-small world.I used to go visit with her a lot.Funny how easy t is to loose touch with old friend.
Milda
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Milda »

Hi Sheena,I thought you had disappeared,haven't heard from you for a while.Yes I saw Lynwynn's mum had died .They lived near me ,when I was in Pirnmill Rd.they lived in Kilbrannon Ave. Was it dalmations she had? I always remember them having that type of dog.