Swim - Inches to Saltcoats Pool

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
mike mccann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Swim - Inches to Saltcoats Pool

Post by mike mccann »

Terry McCreadie and myself did the Inches swim in 1951 or 52 . Bob Hamilton insisted that we swim a mile in the pool ( 18 lengths ) before we were allowed to do the Inches . When we finally staggered onto the pool wall , we headed for the Laundry room where Mrs Aitchison was waiting with steaming cups of hot chocolate .
Incidently , the two ladies in the ticket office at that time were Mrs Rainey and Mrs McCafferty .
paulgio
Settling In
Settling In

Post by paulgio »

Hi I was a member of the Saltcoats Swimming Club many years ago..Can you remember Big Buff! The Reid Twins, Porteous Family and a few more. Also remember swimming the inches and being soooo cold that when you finished could hardly hold onto my cup of hot chocolate...they were fun days!!also remember Mr Duncan being thrown in after every gala....Rae (nee White)
sparralegs
Settling In
Settling In

Post by sparralegs »

Hi. My dad and a mate did that swim towing a small float or rowing boat with the Daily Record Gala Queen aboard, round about 1934-37. When they reached the pool the gala queen had to present the Daily Record to someone and had to say a few words. My dad and his mate could not get out of the pool as their legs were numb with the cold. Not realising that the mike was still on, they both made comments for all to hear about how their leg's and other parts of their anatomy frozen.
I'm away from home just now and don't have access to the date of the event. A number of year ago I searched the A&S Herald to see if they also covered the story,but wasn't successful.

Jean
paulgio
Settling In
Settling In

Post by paulgio »

Hi Jean
When we did swim I think it was late 1960's. Rae
willie thompson
Settling In
Settling In

Post by willie thompson »

Never took part in the swim, but I remember John Vogwell, Tommy Taylor and Brian?? Moultrie taking part.
This would have been around 67/68.
paulgio
Settling In
Settling In

Post by paulgio »

Hi Willie I remember all of those names as well, Tommy Taylor was in my class at primary school and I used to work for Brian Moultries father "Mr Moultrie" the dentist..not sure I remember yourself...Rae
willie thompson
Settling In
Settling In

Hi Rae, John was a year above me at Kyleshill. John and Tommy stayed in the Mayfield area of Saltcoats round the corner from me. Didn't really know Brian, he just stood out in the pool. All were really good swimmers.
paulgio
Settling In
Settling In

Post by paulgio »

Hi Willie you must have been ages with my younger sister Margaret Mary another name springs to mind Jim McKay and do you remember big buff clegg he used to run and dive in the pool always made a BIG splash!!!Memories Eh..
willie thompson
Settling In
Settling In

Hi Rae, I can remember some of the older guys diving into the pool from the area nearest the small boating pond, where the "rolly polly" and the raft were. There was about a six foot drop into the water and they used to "belly flop" into the water. Your right about the noise they made when they hit the water. Don't recall ever trying it, looked and sounded too painful.
paulgio
Settling In
Settling In

Post by paulgio »

Hi Yes agree it did sound very painful and I reckon you would have to be very brave or very silly to attemp that. I think I managed to jump off the dales once, it always looked so high up for me
sparralegs
Settling In
Settling In

Post by sparralegs »

Hi Rae. It was very painful, I was about 14 when I did a belly flapper off the dales, I had dived off several time in the past but when I did that belly flapper which drew blood that was me finished,I never went near a diving board again.
Jean
paulgio
Settling In
Settling In

Post by paulgio »

Hi Jean not sure if I know yourself but it is so nice to be in touch with people who shared something in common. I did a few belly flappers myself and that wasn't off the dales...OUCH! I can also remember everyone clearing out the pool when there was a foreign object in there and it wasn't a person..UGH! out came the net so it could get scooped up!!!fun days...