Swim - Inches to Saltcoats Pool

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Swim - Inches to Saltcoats Pool

Post by Hughie »

Heard it mentioned a few times while I was growing up that there used to be an annual swim from the Inches at Ardrossan to the Saltcoats tidal swimming pool. Anyone know if this was true?

My brother Bobby and I were keen swimmers and were members of the Saltcoats Swimming Club at the tidal pool from an early age but I can't recall such a thing.
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: Swim - Inches to Saltcoats Pool

Post by wellparkno9 »

Hi Hugh ,I dont remember anyone swimming from the pool to the Inches when I was wee ,but I can mind my father telling me that he and his pals used to do it from Saltcoats harbour to the Inches quite often during the summer.I could never do it my self ,cause I could not swim till I was 32.Regards Sam.
bigsafty2
New Poster
New Poster

Post by bigsafty2 »

hewmac wrote:Heard it mentioned a few times while I was growing up that there used to be an annual swim from the Inches at Ardrossan to the Saltcoats tidal swimming pool. Anyone know if this was true?
Don"t know about an annual swim Hughie,but I did hear about some lad that did it ,never knew who it was or if it was true. Bill Greer.
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Hi Hughie,

Didn't know you were a member of Saltcoats Swimming Club as well. I was a member every year 4/- for a season ticket and 1/- to become a member of the club. You didn't have to queue to wait for one of those baskets and a sill rubber band to wear round your arm or ankle. We must have met on many occasions before the threetowners.

Wee Boney
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Hi, Hugh and Boney, you two could maybe give us a wee demo of your swimming style at the reunion.
The beach isn't far from the breakfast venue!!!!!
Netta :lol:
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

John,
I dreaded those metal clothes baskets, kept thinking I'd die if one dropped on my bare feet. As I remember it was Brian McGowan from Seaton Street, Ardrossan who encouraged our Bobby and I to join the club 'cause we were the Eglinton swimming team that year along with the two McDougall sisters. I'm thinking that we probably paid for our membership by annoying the Glesga day-trippers into giving us their empty lemonade bottles while walking home to Ardrossan on the sand. :roll:
gnyaff
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by gnyaff »

Netta,

That's a great idea, nothing like a dook before breakfast. I'll get the wee wummin tae bring hurr bikini and the water wings.

Wee Boney
Wee Shuggie
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Wee Shuggie »

I was also a member of the Swimming Club and paid the same amount as W.B.-I remember folding up my clothes and leaving them on a wooden seat in the 'Club House' all underneath your dry towel.The brave ones then ran and dived into the pool at the side of the 'big chute'.Us lesser mortals or big fearties either inched our way in at the steps or stood shivering on the diving board.I can remember a club member accompanied by a rowing boat swimming from/to the inches-the name escapes me but I remember it was an uncommon surname like 'Daimler'???.
John's memory is a lot better than mine.
Shug
romannose
New Poster
New Poster

Post by romannose »

yes there was such an event because i swam in it myself but i cant recollect the dates i'm afraid
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Would be interested to hear if anyone else recollects such an event. Such things are big business here in Oz during the Summer. See Here
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie,

I came across this topic this evening whilst searching for something else. I recall the "INCHES" swim although I neither felt able nor confident enough to participate. I remember seeing a small group of members set off, accompanied, I think, as Wee Shuggie suggests, by a number of rowing boats, occupied, again I think, by Bob Hamilton and other committee members . The swim, I believe, was actually to the Inches, turn around, and back to the Pool. In my time, the early 60's, a big Saltcoats boy called KELLY, an outstanding swimmer, was either the only person to complete the swim or was first back.

Below is another loft find:
Attachments
SASC.jpg
SASC 2.jpg
SASC 3.jpg
Last edited by Penny Tray on Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Apparently three attachments is the limit, so here is the reverse of the booklet:
Attachments
SASC 4.jpg
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.