Winton Street Cobbler's Cottage Ardrossan

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Could someone tell me if my memory is right in saying there was a Cobbler's Cottage on the corner of Winton Street and Winton Lane. I seem to recall it in the late 1940s on the southwest corner. My mother-in-law mentioned living there as a little girl - she was raised by the Anderson family a branch of which went to Canada from Seaton Street in 1952.
mcgrattan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by mcgrattan »

Winton Street Cobbler's Cottage Ardrossan-vert.jpg
Hugh

Is this the cottage you are thinking about? It is at the junction of Winton Street and Winton Place. Photos taken today 1 December.

Tom McGrattan
Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

Great pictures, Tom. I like the discarded pop bottle in the street. It adds to the overall derelect effect. Was that happenstance, or did you place it there?
Sad to see the cottage in such disrepair. It doesn't look like it would take too much to fix it up, (from the outside, anyway).
Looks a wee bit like Rabbie's cottage, sans the thatched roof. Wonder how old it is?

Catherine
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Jimbo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jimbo »

If I remember correctly, the Armour family lived in the cottage when I was at Eglinton school. [The daughter was awfie bonny]
jim.
elvis1913
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by elvis1913 »

Catherine Belle wrote: Sad to see the cottage in such disrepair. It doesn't look like it would take too much to fix it up, (from the outside, anyway).
Looks a wee bit like Rabbie's cottage, sans the thatched roof. Wonder how old it is?

Catherine
I was thinking the same thing Catherine so I gave it a wee face lift.

Catherine Belle
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Catherine Belle »

Josephine, hen, wha's like ye?......naebody! :lol:
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Ardrossan
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Ardrossan »

Although it may stand on the same site, I am almost sure that this building is not more than 25 years old as I am sure I can recall it being built as my Dad had a lock-up slightly further along which I spent a significant amount of time at when I was younger.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Really having to dredge up old memories - but I think that wee abandoned house is where Mitchell's Dairy used to be - (going from Winton school towards Glasgow street it was on the left hand side) but there used to be a shop/off sales on the other side of the lane still on the left hand side - could that have been a cobblers at one time? I used to buy my play piece from that shop when I came off the bus in Glasgow street going to Winton School.

Meg
Wee Shuggie
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Wee Shuggie »

Meg
I think you are mistaken with regard to the site of Mitchells' Dairy- The rear of the dairy was in Winton Lane where if I remember correctly there was access for vehicles.The front was from Glasgow Street at approx 168.My Gran stayed in 162 which backed on to Winton Lane and I was often asked to take a bowl to the dairy for milk-it tasted great.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

mcgrattan wrote:Is this the cottage you are thinking about? It is at the junction of Winton Street and Winton Place. Photos taken today 1 December.
Tom McGrattan
Yes Tom that's the exact location. But Ardrossan might be right about it being a more recent cottage 'cause I was under the impression that the gable end was up to the footpath, though looking at the dyke it seems ancient.

From my recollection the cottage there was called the Cobbler's Cottage but I don't know if it was used as that in my time.

Great photo's thanks.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Winton Street Cobbler's Cottage Ardrossan

Post by georgeflemingard »

Wee Shuggie wrote:Meg
I think you are mistaken with regard to the site of Mitchells' Dairy- The rear of the dairy was in Winton Lane where if I remember correctly there was access for vehicles.The front was from Glasgow Street at approx 168.My Gran stayed in 162 which backed on to Winton Lane and I was often asked to take a bowl to the dairy for milk-it tasted great.
Meg you are quite right about the location of the Dairy, and i am almost sure the wee hoose was round the other way like you suggest. The only Cobblers shop i new in that area Was Haynings, and that was a wee hut situated between the buildings on the Glasgow st. side of Michells dairy, at one time you could drive through this gap and have access to the dairy, but a wall was built to stop this. the cobblers hut was behind this wall. from what i remember he done a great trade, as in those days every body got there shoes repaired.He would also sell you bits of leather to repair your own shoes George
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Winton Street Cobbler's Cottage Ardrossan

Post by georgeflemingard »

georgeflemingard wrote:
Wee Shuggie wrote:Meg
Meg you are quite right about the location of the Dairy, and i am almost sure the wee hoose was round the other way like you suggest. The only Cobblers shop i new in that area Was Haynings, and that was a wee hut situated between the buildings on the Glasgow st. side of Michells dairy, at one time you could drive through this gap and have access to the dairy, but a wall was built to stop this. the cobblers hut was behind this wall. from what i remember he done a great trade, as in those days every body got there shoes repaired.He would also sell you bits of leather to repair your own shoes George
Got that wrong sorry meg I ment to say weeshugie is right about the location of the Dairy. Must be getting old George