Anglo Continental Container Services (Containerway)

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
jane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Anglo Continental Container Services (Containerway)

Post by jane »

Thanks Meg, I have responded to Susan. I have had many replies to my post over the years.. Jane
jane
yertonbrae

Post by yertonbrae »

Thank you Meg. Yes, we have just made contact. My dad is thrilled!
Cheers
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Love it when a plan comes together :-)

M
Norman Reynolds
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Norman Reynolds »

Hello, hopefully there might still be some interest in this topic as I have just picked up on all the related threads and would like to contribute in any way possible. I started work with British Road Services, Ardrossan in 1963, BRS were involved in the haulage side of ACCS and I worked with the drivers and other ACCS traffic office staff from 1963-1969.

My father was a friend of Jim Ramsay and through him I got started in the traffic office, my boss at the time was Willie McKay an ex Glasgow Corp. Bus driver I believe. I knew Mr Parker (John Parker) well also and we had some great banter in the office. John Parker had changed his name, originally German and ended up as a POW in Scotland and decided to stay in Scotland as where he came from was now under Russian control and he would not go back. He married a Scottish girl and they lived in Largs. I recognised him from one of the photographs..

Also photograph of Bill Meek, was the office manager at ACCS and I used to go round to the bank with him every Friday, collect the cash for the wages for us all. Things have moved on and you certainly couldn't or wouldn't want to do that anymore.

There is a lovely picture of ACCS outing, which I can remember well - a small boat out on Firth of Clyde. For better or worse I am in the pic, had hair in these days, lovely so see however and i can pick out one of the drivers - John Mclaughlan from Kilwinning and (I think) Norma Harper from Saltcoats. Both Norma and her mother Grace worked with ACCS at the time.

I hope this stirs some memories and someone can get back to me as there is lots more.

Norman Reynolds
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Willie McKay, unless I'm mistaken, lived in Boydston Road, Ardrossan, and his wife was German. Having heard now that John Parker was German and changed his name when he settled in Scotland, I'm wondering if John Parker and Willie McKay were maybe brothers-in-law.

Anybody know?
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Norman Reynolds
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Norman Reynolds »

Yes, Willie did live at Boydstone Road, now that you have jogged my memory. Had two sons as far as I can remember, Eric and (Eddie?) and no they certainly were not related at all. Both fought in the war on different sides and although both married girls of opposite nationality, that was just a coincidence and nothing more.
Both were lovely guys - John Parker set up a photographic dark room in an old container and taught me how to take good picturers, enlarge and develop film all the way through to having the images as you would having put them into your local chemist. Willie was one of then old school, an ex Glasgow Corporation Bus Driver, knew Glasgow like the back of his hand.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I think Mr and Mrs McKay had two sons, one of whom was definitely the late Douglas. He was a detective in Strathclyde Police but struggled, I think, with kidney problems which resulted in him relying on dialysis.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
jane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jane »

Hello everyone I just popped on to have a look, this article was my original post. I see Norman Reynolds has been on. My father Jim Ramsay originally worked for a firm called Metlox before managing ACCS. He was in digs with Norman's parents at that time and met my mum Margaret at Metlox. Norman's mum used to babysit for my mum, also girls from the office !
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jane
jane
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jane »

I am now registered with three towners twice, could the old one be merged ?
jane
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

janewoodman-ramsay wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:43 pm I am now registered with three towners twice, could the old one be merged ?
Hi Jane, I can reactivate your original username "Jane" and get you a new password, then move these last two post over. Let me know if that's what you'd like.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

All done I'll delete the other user name in a day or two to give you time to recover any PM's that might be there.
Nice to have you back, Jane. :puter