Home for a while.

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
John McCallum
New Poster
New Poster

Home for a while.

Post by John McCallum »

I'm back in Scotland for a while after being in Asia the last year building a cement plant. Last 45 years I've travelled a lot but it is always nice to walk the North Shore where my mother took be to burn in sacrifice on sunny days! Raised in Glasgow Street, 157, and attending Winton Rovers 1961, before being whisked away to other climes, I enjoyed my pals and remember a few with a smile. Now in Largs, looking overseas again but in the meantime I'll drink in the views across to the islands that tell me I'm home.... for now.
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Home for a while.

Post by Robert Cook »

Good to hear from you.
I was born at 160 Glasgow Street but probably long before your time.
I've been in Canada 66 years but still have dreams about my youth in Glasgow street.
Only returned twice to Scotland but still miss it.

Robert
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

John,

I had a look to see if I had ever posted anything about "157 Glasgow Street" and the only thing is the following article. You may know nothing about it, but it might give you something to talk about on your travels.

CASUALTY OF WAR
2 DECEMBER 1917

Died at sea on S.S. COPELAND, ROBERT RITCHIE, (40), fireman, son of George and Mary Ritchie, 157 Glasgow Street, Ardrossan; husband of Mary Rinney Ritchie.

[The British steamer S.S. COPELAND, on a voyage from Glasgow to Cork with a general cargo, was sunk by the German submarine U-57, 5 miles SSW of Tuska Rock, St. George Channel – twelve lives were lost.]
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

John - I wonder if it’s the same John McCallum who started school with both Campbell Barr and myself - Winton, Eglinton, Stanley and the Academy?

Meg
John McCallum
New Poster
New Poster

Post by John McCallum »

Meg,

I remember a Linda who lived opposite me but not much more and I cannot find the old school photos that I downloaded from this site.

I was born Jan 1956 so if you are close to that then maybe we were in the same class.

John
John McCallum
New Poster
New Poster

Post by John McCallum »

Robert,

I was there from 1956 to 1961. When were you there?
John McCallum
New Poster
New Poster

Post by John McCallum »

Penny,

long before my time and I don't have any recollections of anyone talking about that person.
John McCallum
New Poster
New Poster

Post by John McCallum »

Meg,

the image of the 1961 Winton School photo needs correcting. I am 6th from the left after Linda Robinson.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

John McCallum wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:22 pm Meg,

the image of the 1961 Winton School photo needs correcting. I am 6th from the left after Linda Robinson.
John - 6th from the left on the row starting with Linda is definitely Johnnie Rainey - he’s a member of the 3ts. Maybe this isn’t your class - it’s primary 2 Winton and the class started school in 1959 - you’d only have been 3 then, too young to have been with us “oldies”.
John McCallum
New Poster
New Poster

Post by John McCallum »

That looks so much like me! I have other photos where I am so similar. So that means there must have been another John McCallum.