Question

For those researching family in the three towns area.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Question

Post by brian f »

I have very limited information regarding my family tree.

Would this be a handicap for me joining the like of Ancestry etc.
Just thinking of things to do maybe be the Winter.

Oh.. i nearly forgot- How much does it cost.

Thanks. B
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question

Post by Hughie »

Hi Brian,
The best starting place is your own birth certificate. On it you'll find your parent's marriage date and place. When you get a copy of their marriage certificate it will add both sets of grandparents to your tree and you'll get sucked in on a wonderful journey. Forget for the moment the commercial companies like Ancestry until you know a wee bit more about your background.

In the meantime consider subscribing to Scotlandspeople at: https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

So, who do you think you are? :puter
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Thanks, Hughie, just looking at my b/c now and have found parents date and place of marriage. So when i start my journey later this year i can order parents marriage
certificate- Is this sent in the post or can you view online?

So, who do you think you are? you asked. Hughie i found this

Between 1787 and 1868, around eight thousand Scottish men, women and children were transported to Australia. Scots accounted for only a small proportion of all of those transported. Around 162,000 convicts were sent to Australia between 1787 and 1868.

One of these guy's i probably have a connection 😉

Thank's again.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Brian,
I've had a quick look at the downloaded images of certificates I've obtained from the Scotlandspeople site for the marriages related to my family. The latest one seems to be in 1944 - there could be later ones. Otherwise your only choice is the long wait for snail-mail delivery of a copy of the certificates you are seeking if it's after that date. I'm sure others with family research experience in our group might be happy to help.
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Brian,
if you want to view certificates online, this is possible for deaths after 50 years have lapsed, marriages after 75 years and births after 100 years.
Otherwise you have to order a certificate. Here's an excerpt from the ScotlandsPeople website:

"Fees
Type of certificate and cost (excluding postage)

One certificate (any type) - £12
Two or more certified copies of the same certificate (must be ordered at the same time) - first certificate will cost £12, each additional copy will cost £10
Priority service - £15 per certificate in addition to the certificate fee. If multiple copies of the same certificate are ordered, the priority fee is only charged on the first certificate.

Postage

All certificates are issued by 1st class UK mail or standard airmail or by the alternative delivery option selected by the customer.
Postal options and charges (from 1st April 2022)

Collection at New Register House - not currently available
UK standard 1st class - £1.22
UK recorded delivery 1st class - £2.62
UK special delivery - £6.35
UK special delivery (Saturday) - £10.62
Standard airmail - £4.00

Processing times

We aim to process and post out online applications within 15 working days of the application being received.
If you order a priority certificate before 13:00 on a working day, the certificate will be dispatched the same working day.
Applications for priority certificates received after 13:00, at weekends or during public holidays will be dispatched on the next working day."

If you need more information, let me know.
Irene
Last edited by hahaya2004 on Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Ok thanks Irene, I will keep that in mind later this year in the long nights.