Old Ardrossan

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Old Ardrossan

Post by canfactory »

I'd put off working through my late brothers wee photo box but did it this morning. Inside I found these old postcards. A few aren't postmarked so I've no idea of the year, the ones that are I've typed the details in. Campbell
Eglinton Road.jpg
Arran Place Ardrossan.jpg
Princes Street.jpg
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Old Ardrossan

Post by Meg »

These are fantastic Campbell - thanks for sharing.

Mx
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Thanks from me too Campbell. I was particularly drawn to two things.

Firstly, I've seen many ships moored at the Princes Street/Montgomerie Street junction, but the one in the Princes Street card looks enormous by comparison to anything I remember.

And secondly, as boys in my day, we always wondered why none of the low walls in Eglinton Road had railings like the ones shown in that card. All the top surfaces of the walls had holes in them. Threetowners taught me that the owners had all responded to a war-time appeal to donate the metal.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
canfactory
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by canfactory »

I agree Laurence and wondered if she was also sitting high in the water perhaps having been emptied? It’s also kind of strange not seeing any of the large cranes which must have gone up later. When I was a kid Jock Muir, who lived across from us in Clyde Terrace told us all lots of stories about when he worked on them.

Thanks for mentioning about Eglinton Road and the reason for its lack of railings. I may be wrong but I am sure I also saw the same on Anderson Terrace.

I’ve learned a lot on Threetowners and one of the most interesting was reading about the tank trap hatch covers at the bottom of Dalry Road and the top of Glasgow Street which I guess are still there. I recall seeing them in both places and it was great to find out what their purpose was. It’s good they were never used.

Campbell
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

Penny Tray wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:13 pm And secondly, as boys in my day, we always wondered why none of the low walls in Eglinton Road had railings like the ones shown in that card. All the top surfaces of the walls had holes in them. Threetowners taught me that the owners had all responded to a war-time appeal to donate the metal.
Apparently huge quantities of wrought-iron railings were donated or requisitioned but little was recycled, being unsuitable. However, the government didn't want to take the risk to morale by admitting as much, and there are stories of wholesale dumping in the North sea by the war's end