Hypnotist

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Hypnotist

Post by brian f »

Prompted by bonzo joke on the jokes and fun forum.
Has anyone ever went to see one perform. I find it incredible what i have witnessed on tv in the past. Can these guys actually convince you to take your clothes off for example.I know somebody who went to see one about 20 years ago to stop smoking and to this day has not smoked since..
I find it a bit scary is it all real?😯
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Hypnotist

Post by bobnetau »

Only time I have seen a hypnotist live was on a cruise.
One lady we got to know said she was totally unaware of the things he got her to do.
I could never lose control of my actions like that so would never volunteer to participate.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I went once in Benidorm 20 odd years ago, we were in a club to see a rather notorious lady of that parish and a hypnotist was part of the bill. The jist of his act was everyone had to fold their arms and he talked to the audience and if you could not unfold your arms you were under.
I'm not saying I was going under but Mrs B grabbed my arms and unfolded them. I did feel as if I was drifting a little(that might have been the beer)he did get about 10 people up on the stage and proceeded with all the normal antics.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

There was a summer show which ran during the 1960s in Douglas, Isle of Man called Joseph Karma, the Lightning Hypnotist. My pal and I saw his show quite a few times whilst on holiday with my parents. The run up was similar to Bonzo’s with people asked to fold their arms, he’d talk for a few minutes, then those that couldn’t unfold their arms again had to go up on stage - usually a dozen or so. Things like the burliest of the guys would get up and dance to the Sugar Plum Fairy every time he heard the music, the whole group would eat raw onions as “the tastiest apple they’d ever had” and would be told to look after the fairies Karma gave to them on stage - keeping them warm and feeding them on pixie dust also given to them - obviously completely invisible to everyone else. He did ask the people on stage if they wanted help in stopping anything, like smoking or nail biting - which he finished the act with. Entertaining as a kid, not sure if it would still be funny as an adult.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bobnetau wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:59 am Only time I have seen a hypnotist live was on a cruise.
One lady we got to know said she was totally unaware of the things he got her to do.
I could never lose control of my actions like that so would never volunteer to participate.

I was thinking along the same lines Netta- The unknown scares me!
GordMac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GordMac »

Back in about 1972 my wife and myself journeyed to the Hotel de Croft in Dalry to see Clifford Leslie the hypnotist.He asked everybody to clasp their hands,then he pointed to various audience members and told them their hands were stuck together and if they wanted to be released they were to come on to the floor.Anna’s were stuck and I couldn’t separate them,I was a bit sceptical of hypnotists but this changed my mind,especially when he told her to sing You canny shuv your granny affa bus,as lovely as she is ,her singing voice leaves a bit to be desired and I know she would never sing in public.A couple of weeks later we went along to Charlie Wilders in Princess St.to see him again but this time we kept our hands well separated.The things he got some people to do was unbelievable.