COP26: Do we deserve to survive?

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

COP26: Do we deserve to survive?

Post by Retsum »

Let's be clear, this is not about saving the Earth; this is about saving the human species. The Earth has existed for four and a half billion years and we have only recently occupied it for a minute fraction of that time and there is nothing we could do that would destroy it. It will continue for another four and a half billion years at which time it will be absorbed by the Sun as it passes through a Red Giant phase before shrinking to a White Dwarf.

So I repeat the question: do we deserve to survive as a species? Look at our history. It is a continuous record of conflict and war. I don't think there has ever been a time when there has not been armed conflict somewhere on Earth. Are we capable of putting aside differences and working as a global unit to bring about change?

We have already seen some effects of warming: melting of large areas at both poles leading to some island communities becoming submerged and forest fires releasing large amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. If we cannot reverse these trends there will come a time when there will be fighting for habitable land, food, water and energy. Some might become so desperate as to release the nuclear option - end of story.

What would then happen on Earth? Could it become another Venus? The atmosphere on Venus is 97% carbon dioxide with an atmospheric pressure 90 times greater than Earth. There is some sulphur dioxide and water in the upper atmosphere where they combine to form sulphuric acid which then falls as 'rain'. The surface temperature is 450 C which is greater than the melting point of lead. I don't know where all the carbon dioxide came from on Venus but let's assume that even if all the vegetation on Earth burned and all the ice melted, Earth would not become a Venus. With four and a half billion years still to go its possible new life forms could emerge adapted to the new environment. However if it takes as long as we did it will just be in time to be gobbled up by the dying Sun!