Some Herald BMD from the 60s and 70s

For those researching family in the three towns area.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Some Herald BMD from the 60s and 70s

Post by down south »

The rest of the Acknowledgements now from the Herald of October 23rd 1970.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

ANDREW - Mrs Andrew wishes to extend grateful thanks to friends for their kindness and helpfulness during the illness of her husband, Graham; also for flowers and sympathy, and the presence of so many at the crematorium. 88 Donald Crescent, Troon.

ARCHIBALD - Mary, Marjorie and Elizabeth, grand-daughters of the late Daniel Archibald, 21 Munro Drive, Kilbirnie, wish to thank all friends and neighbours for kind expressions of sympathy received in their recent bereavement; also the Rev Galloway for services rendered.

BAILLIE - Miss Baillie and family wish to thank all relatives, friends and neighbours for expressions of sympathy in their recent sad bereavement; also Mr Kemp and staff of cinemas; also Kilmarnock Infirmary, Dr McKenzie and Rev E G Balls for services rendered. and Mr McMaster for funeral arrangements.

BLAIR - Mrs S Blair and family would like to thank all their relatives, friends and neighbours for cards and floral tributes received during their recent sad bereavement; also Rev J Houston, and the doctors and nurses of Ward 7 , Ballochmyle Hospital, Mr Hawthorn for funeral arrangements and Co-operative Purvey Dept. 2 North Drive, Kilbirnie.

CULLEY - Mrs Charlotte Culley desires to thank all relatives, friends, neighbours , Evangelistic Mission Hall and Dirrans Mission Hall for their kind expressions of sympathy, letters, cards, and floral tributes received in her sad bereavement; also Dr Lynch, Dr McCreadie, nurse Lynn and nurse McGeorge, for their faithful attention; also Rev Wilbur C Lavalette and Mr George Meney for comfort and services rendered; she also wishes to thank his many friends who paid their last respects at the graveside, and Mr James Reid for funeral arrangements. 89 Blacklands Crescent, Kilwinning.

DAVIDSON - Mrs W Davidson and family wish to thank all relatives, friends and neighbours for kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes received in their sad bereavement; brethren and companions of the Masonic Lodges; Dr Gordon, Dr Wilson, Dr Ritchie, and nurse Ross; Rev R Kirkland for services rendered, and Mr Hawthorn, Co-operative, for funeral arrangements. 16 Merksworth Avenue, Dalry.

IRVINE - Mrs Grace Irvine and family, 14 The Glebe, Dreghorn, wish to thank all relatives, friends and neighbours, at home or abroad, manager and fellow workers at Lochlea Colliery; also 51st Ayrshire Scout Group, Dreghorn; staff and patrons of the Crown Inn, Dreghorn; for their kind expressions of sympathy, cards and floral tributes received in their sad bereavement; also doctors and nursing staff of Ward 2 , Canniesburn Hospital, Bearsden, for their kind attention, the Rev W King for services rendered; SCWS for funeral arrangements.

McKENZIE - The family of the late Margaret McKenzie wish to thank relatives, friends and neighbours for kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes received in their recent bereavement; Rev Robert Kirkland for kindness shown and services rendered; SCWS for funeral arrangements. 74 Garnock Street, Dalry.

McPHERSON - Miss N King wishes to acknowledge with thanks all messages of sympathy and floral tributes received from relatives, friends and neighbours on the death of Miss Annie McPherson; also thanks to all friends who sent flowers and gifts to her while in hospital; they were much appreciated. "Helenslea ", 66 Dalry Road, Kilwinning.

MILLIGAN - Mrs Jane Milligan and family wish to thank relatives, friends, and neighbours, for floral tributes and cards received in their recent sad bereavement; also Drs Jack and Garvin, the Rev W Lowrie Irvine for services rendered, SCWS for funeral arrangements. 133 Clark Drive, Irvine.

TAYLOR - The family of the late Isabella Taylor wish to thank all relatives, friends, and neighbours, for kind expressions of sympathy, cards and floral tributes received in their recent bereavement; also also Dr Connell and Dr McInnes, Kilbirnie, for kind attention; Rev R Galloway for services rendered; Mr Hawthorn, Co-operative, for funeral arrangements. 21 Mair Avenue, Dalry.

WILSON - Ann Wilson and family thank most sincerely doctors and staff, Ward 32, Royal Hospital, Glasgow; relatives, friends, and neighbours; members of Lodge 117, West Kilbride, for expressions of sympathy, cards, gifts and floral tributes received in their recent sad bereavement; also Drs Fegan, Kelly and Alexander, nurses Campbell and McGuiness for unfailing attention; Mr Goudie and Mr Wallace for services rendered. 10 Nethermiln Road, West Kilbride.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

There are so many In Memoriam notices in the Herald of 23rd October 1970 that I've decided to spread them over four posts. Here's the first one.

IN MEMORIAM

ALEXANDER - In loving memory of my dear mother, Elizabeth ( Muir ), died October 18 1962.
Always remembered.
Inserted by her loving daughter Anna.

ALLAN - Precious memories of my dear sister Annie, died October 17 1968.
Treasured memories.
Inserted by Jessie and Allan, Saltcoats.

ALLISON - In loving memory of our dear Father, died October 21 1949; also our dear Mother, died June 13 1929.
Ever remembered.
Inserted by Cathie and Sam, 52 Herbertson Crescent, Irvine.

ANDERSON - In loving memory of my dear daughter Mary Davidson, died October 26 1968.
Too dearly loved to be forgotten.
Inserted by mother and family, 38 Davidson Avenue, Glengarnock.

ARCHIBALD ( JESSIE ) - In loving memory of my dear wife who passed away on October 20 1967.
Always remembered.
Inserted by her loving husband Alex and family, Doreen, Sandra and Jennifer.

BOWIE - Treasured memories of our darling little son and brother, Robert Mark, died October 27 1969, aged 2 years.
The hardest blow to a parent's heart,
To have, to hold, and then to part; We wander to your graveside,
And place each flower with care,
But no one knows the heartache,
As we turn and leave you there.
Inserted by Mummy, Daddy and John, 17 Murdoch Crescent, Stevenston.

In loving memory of our dearest little grandson, Robert mark Bowie, died October 27 1969, aged 2 years.
God came down from heaven.
To look among His flowers;
He needed one more for His crown,
And the one He chose was ours.
Inserted by gran and papa Murphy, 2 St Bride's Place, Irvine.

CAMPBELL - In loving memory of my dear aunt, Margaret Anderson, who died October 27 1951; her husband Andrew Campbell, died December 23 1965.
Inserted by their loving nephew, Hamish Anderson, 43 Titchfield Road, Troon.

COCHRANE - In loving memory of wee Margaret, who died October 19 1969.
Take her in your arms dear Lord,
Cherish her with care;
Make up for all she suffered,
And all that was unfair.
Inserted by Kenneth, Elizabeth, and wee Elizabeth, 66 Kirkland Road, Glengarnock.

COWAN - In loving memory of our dear mother, Beth M McNeil, died October 27 1965.
You meant so very much to us,
There is nothing more to say;
The grief is still within our hearts,
As we think of you today.
Betty, May, and Ann.

DAVIDSON - In loving memory of our dear father Robert Davidson, died October 22 1969.
Like the sand in the hour glass,
So are the days of our lives.
Inserted by his family,282 High Road, Saltcoats.

DONACHIE - In loving memory of my dear husband and our father, Cornelius Hughes Donachie, accidentally killed on October 20 1967.
When we are sad and lonely,
And everything goes wrong,
We hear you whisper, cheer up and carry on;
Each time we see your photo,
You seem to smile and say,
Don't cry, I am only sleeping,
We'll all meet again some day.
Inserted by his wife and family, 31 Borestone Avenue, Kilbirnie.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Continuing the In Memoriam notices from October 23rd 1970.

IN MEMORIAM (continued )

FRIELS - Cherished memories of our dear father and grandpa, Robert Friels, died October 25 1957.
Forever in our thoughts.
Inserted by the family.

In loving memory of our dear father and grandpa, died October 25 1957.
In mind a daily thought,
In heart a silent sorrow.
Inserted by Mary, Bert and family, Melbourne, Australia.

GILROY - In loving memory of my dear wife, Robina Robertson, who died October 21 1969.
Happy and smiling, always content,
Loved and respected wherever she went;
Always thoughtful, loving and kind,
Such wonderful memories she left behind,
Inserted by her husband William and family, 20 Springside Terrace, Springside.

GLASS-CRAWFORD - Treasured memories of our beloved mother, Annie Armstrong Glass-Crawford, died October 25 1963.
No daylight dawns or night returns,
But we remember you.
Inserted by her family, Dalry and Alloway.

GRAHAM - Thirteenth anniversary. Fragrant thoughts of my beloved husband Willie, died October 25 1957, and so much loved and sadly missed father of Matt.
Forever in our hearts you stay,
As sweet and dear as yesterday;
May your sweet soul forever rest in peace.
Your loving Jean and only daughter Matt, 1A The Braes, Saltcoats.

HARVIE - In loving memory of my dear mother, Margaret Ward Harvie, died October 20 1954.
Gone are the days we used to share,
But in our hearts you are always there;
The gates of memory never close,
We miss you more than anyone knows.
Inserted by her loving daughter Nancy, son-in-law Hugh, grandchildren William and Margaret, 23 Stockbridge Crescent, Kilbirnie.

In loving memory of my dear mother, Margaret Ward Harvie, died October 20 1954.
A thousand times I've needed you,
A thousand times I've cried;
If love could have spared you,
You never would have died.
Inserted by her loving daughter Betty , and grandson Frankie, 117 St Margaret Avenue, Dalry.

In loving memory of our dear mother, Margaret Ward Harvie, died October 20 1954, and those gone before.
No one will ever know how much i miss her so,
I shed a silent tear when no one else is near.
Inserted by May , Alex and the boys, 55 Simson Avenue, West Kilbride.

HOLLINGSWORTH - In loving memory of my dear husband ,James, died October 22 1964.
He was a person very rare,
Content with his home, and always there.
Inserted by his loving wife Elizabeth and family, Willie, and Ella.

KERR - In loving memory of our dear father, George Kerr, died October 20 1966.
Always remembered.
Inserted by Rae and Gladys.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Further In Memoriam notices from October 23rd 1970.

IN MEMORIAM ( continued )

LAING - In loving memory of my dear mother.
A thousand times I've needed you,
A thousand times I've cried,
For what it meant to lose you
No one will ever know.
Inserted by her daughter Betty, son-in-law Jimmy, and grand-daughter Thelma, 19 Crawford Avenue, West Kilbride.

Treasured memories of my dear Gran.
As time unfolds another year,
Loving memories keep you near;
Simple words, but very true',
We will always love and remember you.
Inserted by Isabella, Billy and family, Romford.

Treasured memories of my dear mother and gran, Isabella, died October 19 1968.
We often think of bygone days,
When we were all together;
The family chain is broken now,
But memories live forever.
Inserted by loving daughter Frances, son-in-law Norman and family, 41 Crawford Avenue, West Kilbride.

McCARREN - In loving memory of my beloved husband, Joe, died suddenly, October 22 1969.
You never said goodbye to me,
Perhaps it's just as well;
I never could have said goodbye
To one I loved so well.
My heart still aches with sadness,
My secret tears still flow,
For what it meant to lose you, Joe,
No one will ever know.
The home you left is lonely now,
And I am lonely too.
Inserted by his loving wife, Jean McCarren, 5 Donald Crescent, Troon.

In loving memory of our dear brother, Joe, died October 21 1969.
Remembered.
Inserted by Cochran, Neil and Greta.

McSKIMMING - In fond and loving memory of my dear husband, William McSkimming ( Bill ), who died October 19 1967.
At night, when all is silent, and sleep forsakes my eyes,
My thoughts are in that lonely grave
Where my dear husband lies.
Inserted by his loving wife Vera, 41 Highthorne Crescent, West Kilbride.

In loving memory of my father, William McSkimming, who died October 19 1967.
Fondest memories, silently kept,
No need for words, I'll never forget.
Inserted by his loving son Billy, Jean, and family.

MILLIGAN - In loving memory of my dear husband, James Milligan, died October 20 1958.
Remembered.

MONTGOMERY -In loving memory of my dear father, who died October 23 1946.
Treasured memories.
Inserted by Cathie, Jimmy, Jim, John, and Annette.

In loving memory of our dear father, John Montgomery, died October 23 1946.
Silent thoughts, memories dear,
Treasured more each passing year.
Inserted by his loving family, 48 Alexander Avenue, Stevenston.

MOORE - In loving memory of my dear wife, and mother, Matilda Cumming, died October 27 1961.
Your end was sad and sudden,
You never said good-bye;
You were gone before we knew,
And only God knows why.
Inserted by her loving husband Samuel and family, 50 Morris Moodie Avenue, Stevenston.

MORRISON - In loving memory of my dear husband and father, James Morrison, died October 26 1969.
When I am sad and lonely,
And everything goes wrong,
I seem to hear you whisper,
Cheer up and carry on;
Each time I see your photo,
You seem to smile and say,
Don't cry I am only sleeping,
We'll meet again some day.
Inserted by his loving wife and daughter Ruby, 2 St Inan's Drive, Beith.

In loving memory of my dear father and papa, James Morrison, died October 26 1969.
We often think of bygone days,
When we were all together;
The family chain is broken now,
But memories live forever.
Inserted by his loving son Jim, daughter-in-law Joan, and four grandchildren, from Dover, Kent.

Susan
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

down south wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:27 pm Further In Memoriam notices from October 23rd 1970.

MOORE - In loving memory of my dear wife, and mother, Matilda Cumming, died October 27 1961.
Your end was sad and sudden,
You never said good-bye;
You were gone before we knew,
And only God knows why.
Inserted by her loving husband Samuel and family, 50 Morris Moodie Avenue, Stevenston.
Thanks Susan,
My wife was very fond of Matty and would go across the road and chat with her before going on a date with me back then. When home we'd always find time to visit with Tessa Malcolmson, one of Matty and Sam's three daughters.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Thanks for that insight, Hughie.

The last batch of In Memoriam notices from October 23rd 1970 now, and thanks once again to Irene for helping to fill in some of the gaps :

IN MEMORIAM ( concluded )

MORRISON - In loving memory of my dear father and grandfather, James McCulley Morrison, who died October 28 1968.
His presence we miss,
His memory we treasure.
Inserted by his son Willie, Margaret, and grandson Jim, 13 Cleeves Avenue, Dalry.

Fondest memories.
Inserted by grand-daughter Jean, and John, 20 Vennal Street, Dalry.

PATERSON - In loving memory of my dear wife and mother, Mary Wadsworth, who died October 27 1962.
Severed only till He come.
Inserted by her loving husband Bob Paterson, Margaret and Jack.

ROBERTSON - In loving memory of my dear husband James, died October 25 1969.
Always remembered.
Inserted by his wife Margaret, 37 St Margaret's Road, Ardrossan.

Sadly missed.
Jimmy and Tom.

ROXBURGH - In loving memory of Hetty, my dear wife, our mum and gran, died October 21 1967.
Always remembered at Braid Court, Muirhead.

In loving memory of our dear sister, Hetty, who died October 21 1967.
Inserted by Peggy and Bennie, 41 Walker Avenue, Barassie.

SMITH - In loving memory of my dear mother, Elizabeth Nicol, died October 24 1963.
Never from the hearts that loved her,
Will her memory ever fade.
Inserted by her loving son Tom.

THOMSON - Treasured memories of my dear wife and devoted mother, Lillie McGuckin, died October 18 1966.
Time will never dim our sorrow,
We miss you more with each tomorrow.
Inserted by loving husband Neil and family, 38 Munro Drive, Kilbirnie.

In loving memory of our dear mother and granny, Lillie McGuckin, who passed away on OCtober 18 1966.
Sadly missed along life's way,
Loved and remembered every day.
Jean, Charlie and family, Glenrothes, Fife.

WALLACE - In memory of my husband, Highet Wallace, died October 18 1969; also my son Hugh, aged 22 years, died 1951.
Thy will be done.
Inserted by his wife May, daughter Cathie, and son Willie.

In loving memory of our dear Papa, died October 18 1969.
Sadly missed.
Inserted by Maureen, Billy, Ann, Jack, and Alex.

WALTON - In loving memory of my dear husband Frank, October 21 1967.
Always remembered.
Inserted by his wife Bessie, 74 Simson Avenue, West Kilbride.

Night night Daddy.
Sheena, Wilma, Audrey, Tom and wee Frances.

WEST - In loving memory of my dear mother, Mary Fleming, who died on October 23 1958; also my dear father ,Duncan West , who died on January 17 1952.
Their presence we miss,
Their memory we treasure.
Mrs J McMillan, 21 Meadowside, Beith .

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Starting a new batch of Herald notices now, with the Births from 5th March 1971.

BIRTHS

CAMPBELL - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, on February 28 1971, to George and Netta ( Meney ), 31 Bridgend, Kilwinning, a son ( Fraser ); both well. Thanking all in attendance.

DICKSON - At Beckford Lodge, Hamilton, on February 28 1971, to Brian and Elizabeth, 52 Machenhill, Larkhall,a son ( Stuart ); both well.

FULTON - On February 27 1971, at Kilmarnock Maternity Home, to Suzanne ( nee Wallace ) , wife of Stewart D Fulton, a daughter ( Joanne Lesley ); both well.

GILL - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on February 20 1971, to Neil and Linda ( nee Sweeney ), a daughter ( Karen Ann ). Thanking all in attendance.

GOLDIE - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on February 25 1971, to Duncan and Carol ( McKenzie ), , 46 Parkend Road, Saltcoats, a son; both well.

HAMILTON - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on February 27 1971, to Tony and Winnie ( nee Smith ), 25 Burns Crescent, Girdle Toll, a son ( Daniel ); both well.

HOLMES - At Wallaceburg, Ontario, on February 27 1971, to Mr and Mrs Norman Holmes ( late of West Kilbride ), a daughter, a sister for Wilson and Christopher.

JACKSON - At 6 Ochiltree Court, Glenrothes, on February 21 1971, to Jimmy and Grace ( nee Queen ), a daughter ( Nickola ), a sister for Caroline.

JOHNSTONE - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on February 22 1971, to Harry and Betty ( nee Dickie ), a daughter ( Elizabeth ); both well. Sincere thanks to all in attendance. 9 Milton Road, Kilbirnie.

McCLYMONT - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on February 27 1971, to John and Anne, 10 Parkhill, Dalry, a son; both well.

McKERRELL - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on February 28 1971, to William and Margaret McKerrell, a son; both well. 72 Chapelhill Mount, Ardrossan.

NEEDHAM - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on February 4 1971, to Tony and Janice ( Hardwick ), a son ( Christopher Paul ). Thanking all in attendance.

NEWLAND - At Ipswich Maternity Hospital, on February 25 1971, to Michael and Muriel ( nee Johnstone ), Great White Horse Hotel, Ipswich, a daughter.

PARKER - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, on February 25 1971, to Archie and Jeanette ( Kean ), 33 Catrine Place, Irvine, a daughter ( Diana ), a sister for Allan; both well. Thanking all in attendance.

SAVAGE - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, on February 19 1971, to Robert and Shenna ( nee Walker ), a daughter ( Dianne Jean ); both well. Thanking all in attendance.

TEMPLETON - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on February 26 1971, to John and Margaret ( nee Evans ), 55 Killermont Place, Whitehirst Park, Kilwinning, a son; premature. Thanking doctors, nurses and staff for their constant care and attention.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

The Engagements now that were announced in the A&S Herald of 5th March 1971.

ENGAGEMENTS

BARR - BROWN - Both families have pleasure in announcing the engagement of John, second son of Mr and Mrs E Barr, 25 Main Road, Whitletts, Ayr, to Margaret, only daughter of Mr and Mrs R S Brown, 34 Blacklands Crescent, Kilwinning.

BROWN - McKENZIE - Both families wish to announce the engagement of Lex, only son of Mr and Mrs A Brown, 216 Dickson Drive, Irvine, to Grace, only daughter of Mr and Mrs J J McKenzie, 16 Braidwood Road, Kilwinning.

CLIFFE - CARPENTER - Both families have pleasure in announcing the engagement of Raymond, second son of Mrs Cliffe and the late Mr Arthur Cliffe, 4 Linn Road, Ardrossan, to Allison, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs Carpenter, 13 Ailsa Gardens, Ardrossan.

DAVIDSON - STEVENSON - Both families are happy to announce the engagement of Ian Lindsay, eldest son of the rev and Mrs Edward J Davidson, St Andrew's Rectory, Ardrossan, and Sandra Jean Barr,youngest daughter of Mrs Elizabeth Stevenson and the late Alexander Stevenson, Torside, Pantonville road, Seamill, West Kilbride.

DICKSON - SUTHERLAND - The engagement is announced between Ian James, eldest son of Mr and Mrs J W Dickson, " Maidendew ", Countess Road, Dunbar, and Louise Phyllis, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs P Sutherland, " The Ord ", 11 Milgarholme Avenue, Irvine, Ayrshire.

DUNN - McGRATTAN - Both families have pleasure in announcing the engagement between Ronald, second son of Mrs Mary Dunn, 69 Auchenharvie Road, Saltcoats, and Mary Catherine, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs James McGrattan, 3 Ashgrove Road, Ardrossan.

ELLINGHAM - WHYTE - Both families have pleasure in announcing the engagement of Thomson, younger son of of Mr and Mrs T C Ellingham,64 Hamilton Crescent, Stevenston, to Marlyn, only daughter of Mr and Mrs J Whyte, 15 Elms Place, Stevenston.

HANDBURY - COWAN - Mr and Mrs E A Cowan, 63 Criffel Road, Bellevue, Carlisle, have pleasure in announcing the engagement of their eldest daughter, Elizabeth, to John, son of Mr and Mrs J D Handbury, Partney Farm, Spilsby, Lincs.

JENKINS - GREENWOOD - Both families have much pleasure in announcing the engagement of Thomas, youngest son of Mr and Mrs J Jenkins, 28 Davaar Road, Greenock, to Ann, younger daughter of Mr and Mrs G Greenwood, 55 Innerwood Road, Kilwinning.

SCOTT - CAREY - Both families have pleasure in announcing the engagement of Ian Baird, only son of Mr and Mrs J W Scott, 5 North Hamilton Street, Kilmarnock, and Janette Hamilton, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs J Carey, 47 Fudstone Drive, Kilbirnie.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

There aren't very many marriages announced in the Herald of 5th March 1971, so I'll include the wedding anniversaries as well in this post.

MARRIAGES

DUNLOP - HODGE - At Mauchline Old Church, on February 23 1971, by Rev J C Glennie, MA, William Craig, Moat Farm, Auldgirth, second son of the late Mr James H Dunlop and Mrs Marion Dunlop, Fencedyke, Irvine, to Anne Hill Paton, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs Alexander Hodge, Auchmillanhill, Mauchline.

HUNTER - PARK - At Kilmarnock Registry Office, on February 24 1971, William Gillespie McEwan, second son of Mr and Mrs Thomas Hunter, 16 Pirnmill Road, Saltcoats, to Frances Ann, younger daughter of the late Mr Joseph Park and Mrs Barbara Park, Nidd Cottage, Craigie.

MILLER- HART - In Glasgow, on February 20 1971, Thomas, only son of Mr and Mrs T Miller, 9 Griffen Road, Saltcoats, to Christine Anne, second daughter of Mr and Mrs J Hart, 33 Craufurd Avenue, West Kilbride.

REID - PHILLIPS - At the Old Church, Troon, on February 22 1971, Alan, only son of Mr and Mrs H C Reid, 24 Restalrig Crescent, Edinburgh, to Marion Jean, only daughter of the late Mr William Phillips and of Mrs J M Phillips, 24 Sandhill Gardens, Troon.

ROBERTSON - SWEET - At Troon Old Parishe Church, on February 27 1971, by the Rev Allan Young, MA, BD, STM , assisted by the Rev John McCrudden, Baptist Church, Rutherglen, Elliot Ramsay, BSc, CEng, MI MechE, son of Mr and Mrs James Robertson, 54 Milrig Road, Rutherglen, to Hazel Margaret, daughter of Mr and Mrs Alexander Sweet, 11 Fullerton Drive, Troon.

THOMSON - MILLAR - At Trinity Church, Beith, on February 22 1971, by the Rev H Shankland Young, MA, William Dougan, only son of the late Hugh Thomson and Mrs Helen Thomson, 31 Bankfaulds Avenue, Kilbirnie, to Moira Bates, elder daughter of the late John Millar and Mrs Margaret Millar, 7 Meadowside, Beith.

SILVER WEDDINGS

FULTON - BURNS - At Eglinton Arms Hotel, Irvine, on March 6 1946, John B Fulton to Sarah Burns. Present address : 8 Jermond Drive, Irvine.

MEDLOW - THOMSON - At Ardrossan, on March 1 1946, by the Rev Angus McDonald, Malcolm Medlow to Jean Thomson. Present address : 97 Moraine Avenue, Blairdardie, Glasgow.

SHAW - FRANCE - At St John's Church, Pendlebury, Manchester, on March 2 1946, by the Rev Harry F Steel, Andrew Shaw to Doris France. Present address : 18 Doon Place, Saltcoats.

GOLDEN WEDDINGS

LINDSAY - TAYLOR - At Fergushill Manse, on March 4 1921, by Rev McAlpine, James F Lindsay to Violet Taylor. Present address : 7 Baillieston Avenue, Kilbirnie.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

The first batch of Deaths from 5th March 1971.

DEATHS

ANDERSON - At Atholl Nursing Home, Glasgow, on February 26 1971, Elizabeth Miller, beloved wife of the late David Anderson, formerly of Thorncroft Drive, Croftfoot and Glenwood Lodge, Castlemilk Drive.

BALLANTYNE - At Irvine Central Hospital, on February 27 1971, Barbara ( Cissie ) Scott, aged 71 years, beloved wife of the late William Ballantyne. 46 The Riggs, Stevenston.

BROWN - At Ballochmyle Hospital, on February 26 1971, William Walker Brown ( retired Tailor ), in his 91st year, beloved husband of the late Mary Lunn, 29 Well Street, West Kilbride.

BURNS - At 24 Campbell Avenue, Stevenston, on March 1 1971, James Burns, aged 59 years, beloved husband of Olive Mary Smith. Fortified by the Rites of the Holy Church. RIP.

CORSON - At 8 Garnock Street, Dalry, on February 24 1971, Martha Morton, beloved wife of the late David Corson.

DOWDS - At the Southern General Hospital, Glasgow, after an illness, on February 29 1971, Thomas Dowds, aged 63 years, beloved father of Jean and dearly loved grandfather of David, Janet and Paul. Funeral at Kilwinning Cemetery on Wednesday March 3 1971. Inserted by his daughter, Mrs McLaughlan, 11 Wood Crescent, Kilwinning.
[ This was as printed, despite the erroneous date. ]

FLECK - At her home at 35 Ardrossan Road, Saltcoats, Mary Coure Falconer, in her 88th year, widow of the late Wm Fleck, Broughshane, County Antrim. Cremated Woodside, Paisley.
Acknowledgements : Miss Ann Henderson and Mr McKnight and Family wish to thank relatives and friends for expressions of sympathy on their recent bereavement ; also Drs Craven and Rankin for services rendered. 35 Ardrossan Road, Saltcoats.

FRASER - At Heathfield Hospital, Ayr, on March 1 1971, John Fraser, aged 55 years, 32 Lochlea Avenue, Troon, beloved husband of the late Jane Andrew.

GARVEY - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, on February 27 1971, Thomas ( Peter ) Garvey, aged 77 years, beloved husband of Mary Anne Andrew, 13 Grange Court, Stevenston. Fortified by the Rites of the Holy Church. RIP.

GEMMELL - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on February 26 1971, Robert Kerr of R K Gemmell & Co , St Enoch Square, Glasgow, dearly beloved husband of the late Janet Young Hunter, " Adela ", Stevenston Road, Kilwinning. No letters please.

GLADSTONE - Suddenly at Irvine Central Hospital, on February 24 1971, William Kay Gladstone in his 70th year, beloved husband of Magdalene Dixon, 4 Auldlea Road, Beith.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Continuing the Deaths from 5th March 1971.

DEATHS ( continued )

HAMILTON - At Central Hospital, Irvine, on February 27 1971, William Mitchell Hamilton, aged 83 years, beloved husband of Mary Duncanson, 29 Gladstone Road, Saltcoats.

HENDERSON - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on February 28 1971, Annie Wilson Stoddart, widow of John Henderson ( Ironmonger , late of 23 Portland Street, Troon ).

LECKIE - At Ballochmyle Hospital, on February 27 1971, Elizabeth Dakers, aged 78 years, beloved wife of the late Thomas Leckie, 19 Well Street, West Kilbride.

LILLY - On February 26 1971, Cecil Herbert Lilly, FRIC, AMI Chem E, beloved husband of Florence Freeman, 7 Mitchell Place, Saltcoats.

McCAFFERTY - At Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow, on March 1 1971,William Colquhoun McCafferty, aged 67 years, dearly beloved husband of Agnes Close and dearly loved father of Jim, Mary, Effie and Nan, 31A New Street, Beith.

McCRIRICK - At 54 Main Street, Loans, on March 1 1971, Margaret McCourtney, beloved wife of the late Charles McCririck. RIP.

McINTYRE _ Peacefully at Kilmarnock Infirmary, on February 28 1971, William in his 54th year, beloved husband of Mary Cameron, father of Sadie, Jim and Sandy, 6 Chapelhill Mount, Ardrossan.

McMENAMIN - At Central Hospital, Irvine, on March 2 1971, William McMenamin, aged 69 years, beloved husband of Elizabeth Jamieson, 9 Martin Square, Saltcoats. Fortified by the Rites of the Holy Church. RIP. Requiem Mass in St Mary's Church, Saltcoats, today ( Friday ) , at 11am ,to which all friends are invited. Funeral thereafter to Ardrossan Cemetery.

McNAUGHT - At Ballochmyle Hospital, on February 1 1971, John McNaught, aged 78 years, beloved husband of Annie Jenkins, and dear father of Ann and Jean, 7 Campbell Avenue, Saltcoats.

MALCOLM - At Kilmarnock Infirmary, on February 20 1971, George Malcolm, beloved husband of Nell Whalley Gibson, " Rockmount ", Golf Course Road, Upper Skelmorlie, and eldest son of the late Andrew Malcolm, Sawyer, Ardrossan.

MILLER - At Kilmarnock Infirmary, on March 3 1971, Jessie McMurray, beloved wife of William Miller. Funeral to Ardrossan Cemetery, on Friday 5th March 1971, at 2.30 pm. Friends desiring to attend please meet at cemetery gates. 9 Hunter Avenue, Ardrossan.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

The last batch of Deaths from 5th March 1971.

DEATHS ( concluded )

PEEBLES - At Lowestoft, on February 13 1971, William Peebles, MA, BSc, formerly of Marr College, Troon.

RODGER - At 3C Glebe Place, Saltcoats, on March 1 1971, Mary Gibb, aged 78 years, beloved wife of the late Hugh Boyd Rodger.

SCOTT - At 45 Argyle Road, Saltcoats, on February 26 1971 ( her 58th Wedding Anniversary ), Elizabeth Jones McMurtrie, in her 92nd year, beloved wife of Thomas Scott ( retired Saddler ).

SHAW - At Victoria Infirmary, Glasgow, on March 2 1971, James Shaw, in his 84th year, dearly beloved husband of the late Jeanie Speir, 27 Harvie Terrace, Lochwinnoch.

SHEDDEN - At Winton, 10 Eglinton Street, Saltcoats, on February 25 1971, Robert Shedden, retired Skipper, in his 97th year, beloved husband of Isabella Miller Shannon.
NB You can read his obituary as it appeared in the A&S Herald here .

SMITH - At " Braeside ", 14 Stevenston Road, Kilwinning, on March 2 1971, James Smith, only son of the late Mr and Mrs Robert Smith.

SMITH - Suddenly at the Western Infirmary, Glasgow, on March 2 1971, Ellen Morag McLeish, aged 27 years, beloved wife of Robert T Smith, 46 Western Crescent, Kilbirnie.

SPROAT - Peacefully at Ballochmyle Hospital, Mauchline, on February 28 1971, Jessie Clanachan, beloved wife of the late John Sproat, 49 Hunterston Road, West Kilbride.

TEMPLETON - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on March 1 1971, premature son of John and Margaret, 55 Killermont Place, Whitehirst Park, Kilwinning.

WATSON - at 41 Vernon Street, Saltcoats, on February 21 1971, Margaret Stewart Donnan, aged 86, beloved wife of the late James Watson, and dear mother of Jack, Margaret, James and Isobel.

WHALE - Peacefully in Hospital on February 27 1971, Albert George Whale, Craigallan, 82 South Beach, Troon, beloved husband of the late Amy Dorothy Rees.

WILSON - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on March 2 1971, Nicholas Wilson, beloved husband of Elizabeth Watt, 5 Woodland Place, Ardrossan.

Susan