Some Herald BMD from the 60s and 70s

For those researching family in the three towns area.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Some Herald BMD from the 60s and 70s

Post by down south »

Over the years I've been trawling through my old copies of the A&S Herald posting everything I can; and I've now come to the BMD. There are about twenty papers in all, , and they comprise not only Births, Marriages and Deaths but also Engagements and In Memoriam; they may be useful to some family historians which is why I'm posting them here.

A few may be omitted or incomplete because of illegibility; sorry about that.

I'll post them in chronological order , and we first come to the birth announcements from the Herald of 7th July 1967.

BIRTHS

ALLAN - At Buckreddan Maternity Home, Kilwinning, on July 1 1967, to Mr and Mrs William Allan ( nee Rita McGill ), 18 The Glebe, Irvine, a daughter; both well. Thanks to all in attendance.

BERTRAM - To John and Agnes ( Neilly ) , the gift of a son, on June 27 1967 at Kilwinning; both well.

CECCHINI - Francesco and Annamaria ( Gonnella ) are happy to announce the birth of their son on June 29 1967 at Buckreddan Maternity Home, Kilwinning. Deo gratias. Thanking all in attendance.

COWAN - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine , on June 30 1967, to Mr and Mrs J Cowan ( Patricia Beattie ), a son; both well.Thanking all doctors and nurses for kind attention.

CRAWFORD - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on June 28 1967, to Jim and Maureen ( Hamilton ), 68 Raise Street , Saltcoats, a son ( David ). Thanking hospital doctors and nurses and Dr Griffin.

DRENNAN - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on July 1 1967, to Mr and Mrs Andrew Drennan ( Aileen Johnson ) , Police Houses, off Well Road, Auchinleck, a son. Thanking all in attendance.

FULTON - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on June 30 1967, to Mr and Mrs D Fulton, 42 Stevenston Road, Kilwinning, the gift of a son; both well. Thanking all doctors and nurses in attendance.

HODGART - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on June 22 1967, to Willie and Myra, Bellstone, Dalry, a daughter; both well. Thanking all doctors and nurses in attendance.

HUME - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on July 4 1967, to Archie and Nan ( McCully ), 1 Dykesfield Place , Saltcoats, a son ; both well. Thanking all hospital staff and Dr Rankin.

McCAIG - At Buckreddan Maternity Home, Kilwinning, on July 4 1967, to Jim and Betty ( Barclay ), 49 Sidney Street, Saltcoats, a son; both well. Thanking all in attendance.

McCAULEY - At Buckreddan Maternity Home, Kilwinning, on June 29 1967, to Jim and Anne ( Murley ), the gift of a son ( Stephen John ). Deo gratias.

McKILLOP - At Norwich and Norfolk Hospital, on July ? ( looks like 3rd, but I can't be sure ) 1967, to Mr and Mrs Alexander McKillop ( Sheena Travers ), a son; both well.

MURRAY - At Buckreddan Maternity Home, Kilwinning, on July 3 1967, to Michael and Patricia ( Reid ), a daughter; both well. Deo gratias. Thanking all in attendance.

MURRAY - At the Queen Mother's Hospital, Glasgow, on June 30 1967, to Tom and Cecelia ( Macintyre ), 32 Keir Street, Glasgow S1, a daughter; both well. Deo gratias.

OVERTHROW - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on 21 June 1967, to David and Patricia Overthrow ( Forbes ), a daughter ( Debra Kim ), a sister for Mandy.

SHUELL - At Western Hospital, Toronto, on June 25 1967, to Mr and Mrs Ian Shuell ( Enis Murphy ), 75 Sprucehill Road, Toronto 13, a son.

STIRLING - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on June 29 1967, to Mr and Mrs Stirling ( Jessie Fulton ), 48 Barnwell Road, Kilmarnock, a daughter ( Jane ); both well. Thanking all in attendance.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Some Herald BMD from the 60s and 70s

Post by down south »

We now come to the engagements which were announced in the Herald of 7th July 1967.

ENGAGEMENTS

BOYCE - McCARTER - Both families are pleased to announce the engagement of James, eldest son of Mr and Mrs J Boyce, 16 Wingate Avenue, Dalry, to Irene Janet, third daughter of Mr and Mrs W McCarter, 2 Cypress Avenue, Beith.

McCONNELL - WILSON -Both families are pleased to announce the engagement of Gordon, elder son of Mr and Mrs W McConnell, 30 Barassie Street, Troon, and Jean, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs J Wilson, 67 Main Street, Kilwinning.

McGILL - ARMOUR - Both families are happy to announce the engagement between Grace, eldest daughter of Mrs William Armour, 40 Adams Avenue, Saltcoats, and Alex, youngest son of Mrs E McGill , 29 Boghead Avenue, Dumbarton.

McKENZIE - HOLBROOK - Mr and Mrs C J Holbrook, of Taita, New Zealand, have much pleasure in announcing the engagement of their eldest daughter Helen to Gordon McKenzie, youngest son of Mrs H McKenzie, Strathmore Park, and the late Jack McKenzie, of Dalry.

MONTEITH - MURPHY - Both families have much pleasure in announcing the engagement of Iain, only son of Mr and Mrs J B Monteith, 22 Border Avenue, Saltcoats, to Sandra, elder daughter of of Mr and Mrs T Murphy, 4 Hillcrest Drive, Stevenston.

WILSON - DUNCAN - Both families have much pleasure in announcing the engagement of David, only son of Mr and Mrs T Wilson, 35 River Walk, Kilwinning, to Elizabeth, second daughter of Mr and Mrs S Duncan, Flatfield Cottage, Symington.

YOUNG - McMURRAY - Mr and Mrs James McMurray, Seamill Hotel, Seamill, and Blairbeg, Whiting Bay, Isle of Arran, have much pleasure in announcing the engagement of their only daughter, Marion, to Bruce, younger son of Mr and Mrs Alexander Young, 25 Orchard Street, West Kilbride.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Next it's the marriages; including also the wedding anniversaries :

MARRIAGES

BLACKWOOD - CHRISTIE - At High Church, Hilton, Aberdeen, on June 24 1967, by the Rev J B Mirrilees, MA, BD, Alastair David, only son of Mr R Blackwood and the late Mrs I S Blackwood, 4 St Meddan's Crescent, Troon, to Margaret Elizabeth, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs G Christie, 93 Hilton Street, Aberdeen.

BROWN - WIGTON -At Landsborough Parish Church, Saltcoats, on July 1 1967, by the Rev Everett J Paton, Robert, elder son of Mrs E Brown, 25 Sannox Drive, Saltcoats, to Aileen Agnes Jackson, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs W Wigton, 24 Winton Street, Ardrossan.

GORDON -BROWN - At St Meddan's Church, Troon, on June 24 1967, by the Rev H G Reid, TD, BD, Rodney Bernard, eldest son of Mr and Mrs G Gordon, 109 West Crescent, Muirhead, Troon, to Rosalind Ewing, only daughter of Mrs Renee Brown, 43 Barassie Street, Troon.

GRANT - NEILLY - At Bethany Hall, Stevenston, on June 30 1967, by Mr Robert Stevely, Ian, eldest son of Mr and Mrs Robert Grant, 12 Auchenharvie Place, Stevenston, to Janette, daughter of Mr and Mrs James Neilly, 54 Misk Knowes, Stevenston.

HUTCHISON -FREW - At Livingstone Church, Stevenston, on June 28 1967, by the Rev Iain M Roy, BD, David Blyth, elder son of Mr and Mrs Robert Hutchison, Amisbeg, Portencross Road, West Kilbride, to Pauleen, only daughter of Mr and Mrs Alexander Frew, Jesmond, 9 Cuninghame Drive, Stevenston.

LIVINGSTONE - MACKAY - At St Meddan's Church, Troon, on July 3 1967, by the Rev H G Reid, TD, BD, assisted by the Rev A M Beaton, MA,BD, Dundonald Parish Church, James Muir, son of the late William Livingstone and Mrs Mary Livingstone, The Cottage, Dundonald, to Ishbel Milligan, elder daughter of Mr and Mrs Thomas McKay, 2 Garden Place, Troon.

PATON - CAPSTICK - At St Andrew's United Free Church, Cumnock, on June 24 1967, by the Rev R Brown, Denis Keith, younger son of Mr and Mrs William B Paton, 10 Tarbert Avenue, West Kilbride, to Georgina Britton Capstick, elder daughter of Mr and the late Mrs Samuel Capstick, 2 Burnton Place, New Cumnock.

REID - CAIRNS - At Fullarton Parish Church, Irvine, on June 30 1967, by the Rev PG Thomson, BD, Andrew, youngest son of Mr and Mrs A R Reid, 69 Manor Road, Chigwell, Essex, to Margo, younger daughter of the late Mr W Cairns and of Mrs A Cairns,225 Bank Street, Stanecastle, Irvine.

DIAMOND WEDDING

WALKER - GRAY - At Aberchirder, Banffshire, on July 3 1907, by the Rev Godfrey McFadzean, Agnes Gray to Alexander Walker. Present address - 9 Western Crescent, Kilbirnie.

SILVER WEDDING

McINTYRE - IRVING - At Irvine Parish Church on July 4 1942, by the Rev Alexander McCara , James Robertson McIntyre to Elizabeth Irving. Present address - 143 Trelawney Terrace, Stevenston .

Susan
Last edited by down south on Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Now we come to the Deaths reported in the Herald of 7th July 1967. I've added the Acknowledgements of the families where they appear, some of which contain additional details.

DEATHS

ANDERSON - At 35 Dirrans Terrace, Kilwinning, on July 3 1967, John Anderson, aged 55 years, beloved husband of Mary Shields Lewis Muir.
Acknowledgements : Mrs Mary Anderson and family wish to thank all relatives, friends and neighbours, and Ayrshire Metal Products for for kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes received in their recent sad bereavement; also local doctors for kind attention, Rev Wilbur C Lavalette for services rendered and Mr A Hawthorn, Co-operative for funeral arrangements. - 35 Dirrans Terrace, Kilwinning.

BINGHAM - At Hairmyres Hospital, on July 1 1967, James Bingham ( permanent way inspector, retired ), dearly beloved husband of Margaret Mark McMeekin and beloved father of the Bingham family, 79 High Blantyre Road, Burnbank, Hamilton.

BLACK - On July 4 1967, Rosina , aged 91, of 54 The Green, Northwood, widow of David Sindlay Black, of Troon.

BOYCE - At Ravenspark Hospital, Irvine, on July 2 1967, John Boyce, aged 67 years, beloved husband of the late Susan Harvey, 22 Kirkhall Gardens, Ardrossan.
Acknowledgements : The family of the late John Boyce wish to thank all relatives, friends and neighbours for for kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes received in their recent bereavement ; also the Ardrossan harbour workers, Rev W Henson and Mr Barbour for funeral arrangements. - 22 Kirkhall Gardens, Ardrossan.

BROWN - Suddenly, at 15 Crest Street, Tainui, Dunedin, New Zealand, Alex, beloved husband of Isobel McLean, late of 91 Dundonald Road, Dreghorn. By cable.

BROWN - At 298 Garden Avenue, Salt Lake City, Utah ( the home of her daughter ) , on July 2 1967, Jessie Blance, wife of the late William Brown, late of 52 Wallace Avenue, Stevenston.

COPELAND - Suddenly, at Crosshouse ( result of an accident ),on July 1 1967, Charles Reid Copeland, aged 36 years,beloved husband of Margaret Alexander, 5 Broomhill Quadrant, Kilmarnock.

FANCIE - Suddenly, at 32 Ford Avenue, Dreghorn, on June 29 1967, Agnes Boyle Shields, aged 59 years, beloved wife of John B Fancie and dear mother of May.
Acknowledgements : Mr J Fancie, 22 Ford Avenue, Dreghorn, May and Peter, wish to express sincere thanks to all friends for cards and floral tributes received and kind expressions of sympathy in their sad bereavement.

GORDON - At 99 Garnock Street, Dalry, on July 6 1967, Catherine Borland, aged 76 years, beloved wife of Thomas Gordon. Funeral tomorrow ( Saturday ) to Woodside Crematorium, Paisley, arriving at 10.30 am. No flowers please.

McCARFRAE - At Mear.... Hospital, Glasgow, on June 29 1967, Annie Campbell, wife of the late David Goudie McCarfrae, late of Brodick, Isle of Arran, and 127 Oran Street, Glasgow, NW.

McINNES - At a hospital, Greenock, on June 29 1967, Neil McNish McInnes, 7 Gateside Street, Largs, beloved husband of the late Annie ( Nan ) Dowdles.

MCMILLAN - At Barkip Cottage, Dalry, on June 29 1967, Archibald McMillan, aged 46 years, beloved husband of Vera Kelly.
Acknowledgements : Mrs Vera McMillan and family desire to thank all relatives, friends and neighbours for kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes received in their recent bereavement ; also Dr Begg for kind attention, Rev J Houston for services rendered and Mr A Hawthorn, Co-operative, for funeral arrangements. - Barkip Cottage, Dalry.

MAXWELL - At Kilmarnock Infirmary, on July 2 1967, James Maxwell, aged 66 years, beloved husband of Martha Scroggie, 107 Glencairn Street, Stevenston.
Acknowledgements : Mrs Martha Maxwell and family desire to thank all relatives, friends and neighbours for kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes received in their recent bereavement; also doctors and nurses of Ward 3, Kilmarnock Infirmary for kind attention, Rev Iain Roy for services rendered, and Mr A Hawthorn, Co-operative, for funeral arrangements. - 107 Glencairn Street, Stevenston.

MILDOON - At 26 Central Avenue, Kilbirnie,( the residence of her daughter ), on June 29 1967 , Jane McCormick, aged 87 years, beloved wife of the late John Mildoon.
Acknowledgements : The family of the late Jane Mildoon desire to thank all relatives, friends and neighbours for kind expressions of sympathy received in their recent bereavement; Dr Begg, Dr McInnes and district nurses for kind attention, also Mr Troup and Mr McLean for services rendered and Mr A Hawthorn, Co-operative, for funeral arrangements.

MURPHY - At 51 Forde Crescent, Stevenston, on July 3 1967, Matthew Murphy, aged 44 years, beloved husband of Agnes Wilson.

REID - At Ballochmyle Hospital, on July 2 1967, in his 85th year, John Reid MBE, JP, 76 Garnock Street, Dalry, beloved husband of the late Jane Wallace.
Acknowledgements : The family of the late John Reid, MBE, JP, desire to thank all relatives, friends and neighbours, St Margaret's Kirk Session,Old Folk's Welfare Committee, Central Ayrshire Labour Party, Dalry Bowling Club and Dalry Thistle FC for kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes received in their recent bereavement; also local doctors and doctors and nurses of Ward 10, Ballochmyle Hospital; also Dalry Home Help Service for kind attention, Rev R Kirkland for services rendered and Mr A Hawthorn, Co-operative, for funeral arrangements. - 76 Garnock Street, Dalry.

STEELE - At Garven Bank, Kilwinning, on June 29 1967, Anne K Bicket, beloved wife of the late William Steele, MA.

STEWART - Peacefully, at 45 Adams Avenue, Saltcoats ( the residence of her daughter ), on July 4 1967, Margaret Murdoch McCall, beloved wife of the late John Stewart, 22 McGregor Avenue, Stevenston, and dearly loved mother of Greta and Nan.

TAYLOR - Suddenly, at 6 Millar Road, Saltcoats, on July 1 1967, John Alexander Taylor, aged 64 years, beloved husband of Georgina Denham , and formerly of 27 Pembroke Street, Glasgow, W1.
Acknowledgements : Mrs Taylor and her daughter wish to thank all relatives, friends and neighbours for kind expressions of sympathy in their recent sad bereavement; also doctors, minister and Mr McMaster for funeral arrangements. - 6 Millar Road, Saltcoats.

WHYTE - Suddenly, at 11 Townhead, Kilbirnie, on July 4 1967, Sinclair Couper Whyte, aged 74 years, beloved husband of the late Jeanie Martin.
Acknowledgements : The family of the late Sinclair Whyte desire to thank all relatives , friends and neighbours for kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes received in their bereavement; also Dr Connell and Dr Begg for kind attention, Rev R M Findlay for services rendered and Mr A Hawthorn, Co-opertive, for funeral arrangements .- 11 Townhead, Kilbirnie.

Susan
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Thanks Susan, This was a brother of my Grandfather, Robert Boyce. Unfortunately both he and his wife died in their twenties leaving my mum and her brother to be raised by relatives.
down south wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:54 pm BOYCE - At Ravenspark Hospital, Irvine, on July 2 1967, John Boyce,
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

There are a few other Acknowledgements which don't have a corresponding death notice, and presumably refer to previous weeks; they could still conceivably be of use, so I'll include them.These all appeared on July 7th 1967.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

CRAIG - Mr and Mrs Robert Wilson wish to thank all friends and neighbours for kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes received in their recent bereavements . - Windyknowe, Stevenston Road, Kilwinning.

McNEILL - Mr and Mrs McNeill wish to thank all relatives, friends and neighbours for kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes received in their sad bereavement. - 30 Gillies Street, Troon.

STEEL - Mr Steel, Duncan and James wish to thank all relatives and neighbours for their kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes received in their recent sad bereavement; also doctors and nurses of Pavilion 2, Ayrshire Central Hospital, and Dr Rankin; also Rev Jean Thomson for services rendered and Mr McLean for funeral arrangements. - 39 Hunter Avenue, Ardrossan.

YOUNG - The family of the late Walter Young desire to thank all relatives and friends for kind expressions of sympathy and floral tributes ; sincere thanks to Dr McInnes, watchmen and time-keeper staff of Colvilles Ltd for unfailing help during the past year;also doctors and nurses of Ward 6, Royal Alexandra Infirmary, Paisley, for kind attention, Rev J Houston for services rendered and Mr A Hawthorn, Co-operative, for funeral arrangements. - 5 Store Place, Kilbirnie.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Finally in this set of BMD notices from the A&S Herald of July 7 1967, we come to the In Memoriam anniversaries. There are rather a lot of these, so I'll spread them over several posts.

IN MEMORIAM

ARTHUR - In loving memory of our mother, who died July 6 1965.
Sadly missed - John, Cis and family.

BLAIR - In loving memory of my dear son, Pte Kenneth Blair, RAOC, died July 7 1966, aged 17 years.
The Golden Gates opened
One year ago to-day;
With farewells left unspoken
You quietly slipped away.
Each time I see your picture, Ken,
You seem to smile and say
" Don't cry , Ma, I'm only sleeping,
We will meet again some day . "
Inserted by his loving mother.

Day and night I think of you,
And wonder why you died;
Many times I've longed for you.
Many times I've cried;
It breaks my heart to lose you
But you did not go alone;
For part of me went with you
The day God called you home.
Inserted by his loving sister Cathie and brother-in-law Louis.

Treasured memories, silently kept,
Of the brother I loved and will never forget.
Inserted by his brother David.

CARROLL - In memory of my brother James, who died July 6 1966.
Gone from his home, that smiling face,
The cheerful, pleasant ways,
The heart that won so many friends
In happy, bygone days.
Inserted by his sister Jeanie, Main Street, Dreghorn.

DIAMOND - In loving memory of my dear nephew and our cousin, Henry Diamond,died July 9 1966. RIP .
Though it broke our hearts to lose you,
You didn't go alone.
For part of us went with you, Henry,
That night God called you home.
Inserted by your sorrowing Aunt Catherine, cousins Cathy, Annie and Susan McGraw, 3 Shavian Terrace, Kilwinning.

DIGNAM - In loving remembrance of my dear mother, Martha Stewart, died July 7 1966.
You tried so hard to stay with us
Your fight was all in vain,
God saw that you had had enough
And freed you from all pain.
Inserted by her loving daughter Mattie, and Alex.

Good night, Gran.
Sandra and Ian, 23 Paterson Crescent, Irvine.

DUNCAN - In loving memory of my dear wife and my dear mother,Agnes Scott, wife of Alex Duncan, who died July 4 1966.
To the world she may be forgotten,
To others just part of the past,
But to me who loved and lost her,
Her memory will always last.
Inserted by her loving husband, 29 Keir Hardie Crescent, Kilwinning.

There is a face that is always before me,
And a voice I would love to hear,
And a smile I will always remember
Of a mother I loved so dear.
Inserted by her daughter and son-in-law, Evelyn and Frankie.

Deep in our hearts sweet memories are kept,
We smile with the world, but we never forget.
Inserted by her mother, sister and brother-in-law, Mary and Eddie.

Just a tribute of love and remembrance,
Of one we will never forget.
Inserted by her brother and sister-in-law, Willie and Meg.

FERGUSON - In remembrance of my dear husband and our dear father, Robert Ferguson, died July 6 1966.
Sadly missed.
Inserted by his wife, family and grandchildren, 8c Quay Street, Saltcoats.

GLYNN - In loving memory of my dear husband, Michael, who died on July 6 1966.
Not just to-day but every day,
I will always remember.
His loving wife Mamie, 23 Harbour Road, Troon.

The shock was great, the blow severe,
To lose the one we loved so dear.
His loving daughter Betty, son-in-law Larry, grandchildren Bryan and Karen, Las Vegas, USA.

Dear Dad, you were ours,
And we remember.
His loving son Tom, daughter-in-law Doreen and grandchildren, Stevenage, England.

GILMOUR - In loving memory of our dear son, James, died July 6 1963, aged 3 1/2 years.
No verse, no flowers, no tears can say
How much we miss you day by day;
Memories are golden, treasured for ever,
Loving you always, forgetting you never.
Inserted by Mummy, Daddy, Alex, Doris, wee Joyce.

GRAHAM - In loving memory of our dear father, who died July 11 1966.
There is a face that is always before me,
And a voice I would love to hear,
And a smile I will always remember
Of a dad I loved so dear.
Inserted by Margaret, Bill and family.

Our hearts still ache with sadness,
Our secret tears still flow,
For what it meant to lose you, Dad
No one will ever know.
Inserted by Tom, Mary and family.

GRAHAM - In treasured memory of my beloved husband George Graham , who slept away to be with the Lord on July 11 1966.
The memories I have from day to day,
No length of time can take away,
For in my heart you are always near,
Still loved, still missed, and very dear.
Inserted by his loving wife .

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

IN MEMORIAM ( continued )

KANE - In loving memory of our dear mother, died July 8 1966; also loved ones gone before.
You have not gone, dear Mother,
Nor have travelled far,
Just stepped inside God's loveliest room
And left the door ajar.
Inserted by Jessie, Nan, George and family.

LAMBERTON - In loving memory of my dear wife and our dear mother, Agnes Murdoch, who died on July 6 1966.
Ever remembered.
Inserted by her loving husband and family, 18 Eglinton Crescent, and 3 Logan Drive, Troon.

McARTHUR - In loving memory of our dear mother and grandmother, Jeanie McArthur, died July 9 1965.
Sadly missed.
Loving daughter Helen, Rab and Johnny, 11 Kirkhall Drive, Ardrossan.

McCLUNG - In loving memory of our dear mother, Mary Howie, who died on July 9 1963.
Always remembered.
Inserted by Robert, May and Tommy.

McILHATTON - In loving memory of our dear mother, died July 8 1966.
The sorrow I feel I cannot explain,
The ache in my heart will always remain,Although I smile and seem care free,
No-one misses you more than me.
Inserted by her loving daughter Rose, son-in-law Bobby and family, 35 The Riggs, Stevenston.

Our hearts still ache with sadness,
Our secret tears still flow,
For what it means to lose you, Mother,
No-one will ever know.
Inserted by her loving daughter May, son-in-law Jack and family, 53 The Braes, Saltcoats.

McQUADE - In loving memory of my dear wife, Rose Loughran, died July 5 1966. RIP.
Sadly missed.
Inserted by her loving husband Thomas McQuade,5 McGavin Avenue, Kilwinning.

Remembered always.
Inserted by her daughter Cathie, son-in-law Les and family, 104 Fergushill Road, Kilwinning.

MUIR - In loving memory of our dear father and papa, Alex B Muir, died July 9 1961.
Sadly missed.
Inserted by Nan, Bill and family, 20 Blair Road, Dalry.

Treasured memories
Zander, Kilwinning.

MURRAY - In loving memory of my dearly beloved youngest son, David, died July 10 1966.
Parting comes and hearts are broken,
A loved one goes with words unspoken.
Inserted by his loving mother.

Treasured memories of our dearly beloved brother and uncle, David, who died July 10 1966.
He was ours and we shall always remember.
Bobby, Flora and family.

In loving memory of our dear brother and uncle, David, who died July 10 1966.
( Verse illegible ) .
Tommy, Rena and family, Auckland, New Zealand.

In loving remembrance of my dear brother, David, died July 10 1966.
Awaiting for us up above,
Resting in the Saviour's love ;
Jesus grant that we may meet ,
There adoring at thy feet.
Inserted by his loving brother George, Sadie and family.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

IN MEMORIAM ( concluded )

PETERSON -In loving memory of William Thomas Peterson, who died July 8 1955.
In my heart he will always stay,
Loved and remembered every day.
Inserted by his ever-loving Lou.

REID - In loving memory of my dear father, Moses Reid, died July 7 1965; also my dear mother Margaret Morgan, died April 3 1964.
They gave us love in fullest measure,
Care, devotion and memories to treasure;
They shared our hopes, our joys and fears,
God bless you both for those precious years.
Inserted by their loving daughter Florence, son-in-law Hugh, 31 Moorpark Road West, Stevenston.

Good night, Papa and Gran.
Wee Hugh.

REID - Cherished memories of our darling daughter, Shirley Eleanor, died July 4 1955.
They say in time you do forget,
To some this may be true,
But never a day begins or ends
But we think of you.
Mummy, Daddy, Trevor and Kenneth, 59 Shore Road, Stevenston.

Treasured memories of our dear grandchild, Shirley Eleanor, died July 4 1955.
Time cannot dim the memory
That lingers in our hearts,
We cherish still the thought of you
As another year departs.
Nana and Grandpa, 31 Hayocks Road, Stevenston.

Treasured memories of our darling niece, Shirley Eleanor, died July 4 1955.
Our memory of you is a keepsake
With which we will never part;
God has you in His keeping,
But we have you in our hearts.
Auntie Joan, Uncle Bill and family, 81 Forde Crescent, Stevenston.

ROGERS - In loving memory of my dear husband and our dear father, Joseph Rogers, died July 11 1957.
Memories are like threads of gold,
They never tarnish or grow old.
Inserted by his wife and all the family, 42 Kirkland Crescent, Dalry.

SMILLIE - In loving memory of my dear husband and our dear father, Thomas Smillie, who died July 8 1966.
Always remembered.
Inserted by his wife and family, 30 Glenriddet Avenue, Kilbirnie.

STRAIN - In affectionate remembrance of my dear brother, Alex, who died July 8 1962; also his dear wife, Annie Hill, who died June 5 1959.
Beautiful memories woven in gold,
This is the picture I tenderly hold.
Inserted by his loving sister Thomasina, brother-in-law James and family, 156 Clark Drive, Irvine.

WATSON - In loving memory of my dear wife and mother, Georgina Edington Watson, who died July ? 1961.
In our hearts you will stay,
Loved and remembered every day.
Inserted by her loving husband and family, Brackenhills.

WIGHT - In loving memory of James Hughes Middleton, died July 7 1960.
Treasured memories.
Inserted by his wife and family, 1 Kildonan Place, Saltcoats.

Always remembered,
Jean, Tony, Eleanor.

For ever in our thoughts.
Johnstone, Ivy and family.

Gone, but not forgotten.
Janet.

YEAMAN/McKINNON - In fond and ever-lasting memory of my dear sweetheart, Willie Yeaman, late Glasgow Western Police; and dear friends, late 185 Glasgow Street.
Dear in my memory.
God gave me a wonderful sweetheart,
Something we cannot buy;
A gift so rare and true;
We never part from those we love,
Wonderful memories woven in gold,
That's the picture I'll always hold.
Deep in my heart I'll always love him.
The day in whose clear shining light
All wrong shall stand revealed,
When justice shall be throned in might
And every hurt be healed.
Inserted by Nell.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

Moving on now, we come to the BMD from the A&S Herald of 28th June 1968; beginning as always with the Births.

BIRTHS

ADAMSON - At Toronto, Canada, on June 20 1968, to Ian and Eunice ( Anderson ), a son; both well.

ALLAM - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on June 24 1968, to Frank and Beryl ( nee Henson ), 3 South Crescent, Ardrossan, a son ( Bryan ); both well.

BRAY - At 52 White Street, Glasgow W1, on June 14 1968, to Jessie and Bobby, a daughter ( Fiona ), a sister for Anne; both well.

BRODIE - At Buckreddan Maternity Hospital, Kilwinning, on June 22 1968, to Christopher and Eleanor ( nee Purdie ), a daughter; both well.

BURNISTON - Tom and Ruth ( Lawrie ), 20 Dykesmains Road, Saltcoats, are happy to announce the birth of a son on June 20 1968 at Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine; both well.

CAMPBELL - At Farnborough Hospital, Kent, on June 16 968, to Molly ( nee Buchanan ) and Keith Campbell, 10 Ferndown Avenue, Crofton Place, Orpington, Kent, a son ( Andrew Stuart ).

CONNELL ( by adoption ) - William and Anne ( Dickson ) have pleasure in announcing the arrival of their chosen daughter , Elizabeth, born October 6 1967.

CUNNINGHAM - At Buckreddan Hospital, Kilwinning, on June 21 1968, to David and Moira ( Young ), 6 Dippen Place, Saltcoats, a son; both well. Deo gratias.

DICK - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on June 25 1968, to Ian and Anne ( nee Wallace ), 46 Kirkland Road, Kilbirnie, a daughter; both well.

GAVIN - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on June 20 1968, to John ( Ian ) and Eunice, 17 St Phillans Avenue, Ayr, a son; both well.

KIRK - At Thorneyflat Maternity Hospital, Ayr, on June 21 1968, to Jack and Anne, a son ( Gordon Lennox David ); both well.

LAIRD - At Lyttleton, New Zealand, on June 18 1968, to Boyd and Patricia ( Ferguson ), a son. 89 London Street, Lyttleton.

McCARROLL - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on June 26 1968, to Andrew and Margaret ( nee Stewart ), 43 Sorbie Road, Ardrossan, a daughter; both well.

McDONALD - At Buckreddan Maternity Home, Kilwinning, on June 20 1968, to Charles and Margaret ( Gilmour ), 23 Montgomery Terrace, Kilwinning, a daughter ( Alison ), a sister for Elizabeth. Thanking all in attendance.

McLAUGHLIN - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on June 14 1968, to Dennis and Peggy ( Hollinger ), 2 St Andrews Road, Ardrossan, a son. Deo gratias.

MILLAR - At Buckreddan Maternity Home, Kilwinning, on June 22 1968, to Mr and Mrs Andrew Millar ( nee Monaghan ), a son (Andrew ); both well. Thanking Drs Smith and Griffin and staff in attendance. Deo gratias.

SCALLY - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on June 19 1968, to Robert and Sandra ( nee McLauchlan ), a daughter; both well.

TOMELTY - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on on June 11 1968, to Patrick and Agnes ( Watson ), 29 Elm Park, Ardrossan, a son ( Patrick ); both well. Thanking all in attendance. Deo gratias.

WILSON - At Ayrshire Central Hospital, Irvine, on June 13 1968, to Billy and Irene ( nee Rankin ), 38 Dunlop Road, Barrmill, Beith, a son ( Stephen William John ). Thanking doctors and nurses in attendance.

YEAMAN - At Thornhill Hospital, Johnstone, on June 26 1968, to Mr and Mrs Peter Yeaman, a daughter; both well.

Susan
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

The Engagements announced on June 28 1968 are next, but since there are so few of them I'll also include the Marriages.

ENGAGEMENTS

McKNIGHT - CURDY - Both families have much pleasure in announcing the engagement between Margaret, only daughter of Mrs R Curdy and the late Mr R Curdy, 34 Garnock Court, Irvine , and Charles, only son of Mr and Mrs G McKnight, 33 Morville Crescent, Kilwinning.

SMITH -LINDSAY - Both families have much pleasure in announcing the engagement of Hugh Samson, twin son of of Mr and Mrs John Smith, 16 Lynn Drive, Kilbirnie, and Joan Graham, youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs David Lindsay, 41 St Margaret Avenue, Dalry.

MARRIAGES

BROWN - ROSS - At St Cuthbert South Beach Parish Church, Saltcoats, on June 21 1968, by the Rev E George Balls, Kenneth, younger son of Mr and Mrs William Brown, 12 Bankfaulds Avenue, Kilbirnie, to June, only daughter of Mr and Mrs William Ross, 3 Auchenharvie Road, Saltcoats.

BUCHANAN - REID - At Erskine Church, Saltcoats, on June 19 1968, by the Rev Gordon Weir, Malcolm Nicholson, younger son of the late Alexander Buchanan and Mrs M Buchanan, Belmont, 25 Eglinton Street, Saltcoats, to Joyce , only daughter of Mr and Mrs James Reid, Mount Royal, Saltcoats.
( NB Mount Royal was the name of the flats above the Post Office in Chapelwell Street . )

CONVERY - McMILLAN - At St Brigid's RC Church, Kilbirnie, on June 22 1968, by the Rev Fr Mathews, with Nuptial Mass and Papal Blessing, Peter, second son of Mr and Mrs Patrick Convery, 35 Donald Crescent, Troon, to Helen Walsh, only daughter of the late Mr William McMillan and Mrs Catherine McMillan, 3 Ladyland Drive, Kilbirnie.

KEAN - CORRAL - At Park Parish Church, Ardrossan, on June 22 1968, by the Rev D Lyall, BD, STM, Gilbert Walker, youngest son of Mr and Mrs R Kean, 2 Whitlees Crescent, Ardrossan, to Aileen Helen, younger daughter of Mr and Mrs James Corral, 17 Weir Road, Ardrossan.

McGREGOR - BLACK - At Old Parish Church, Troon, on June 21 1968, by the Rev Allan Young, MA, BD, STM, James Donald McGregor, CA, younger son of the late Daniel McGregor and Mrs D H McGregor, Bargany, 27 Titchfield Road, Troon, to Jane Finlay Black, only daughter of the late William W Black and Mrs J V Black, Langholm, 8 Charles Drive, Troon.
-
ROBERTSON - CANCE - At Park Church, Ardrossan, on June 14 1968, by the Rev D Lyall, John, younger son of Mr and Mrs J Robertson, 62 Sinclair Street, Stevenston, to Marilyn, only daughter of Mr and Mrs H Cance, 56 Barrie Terrace, Ardrossan.

SMITH - WALLACE - At Troon Old Parish Church on June 15 1968, by the Rev Allan Young, MA, BD, STM , William, second son of Mr and Mrs James Smith, 97 Westwood Avenue, Ayr, to Helen, only daughter of Mr and Mrs William Wallace, 14 Brodie Avenue, Troon.

WRIGHT - CAMPBELL - At Park Church , Ardrossan, on June 21 1968, by the Rev David Lyall, BD, STM, Michael Graham Peter, only son of Dr and Mrs H Wright, Westerdene, West Kilbride, to Mary Harper, only daughter of Mrs R Ashcroft and step-daughter of Mr R Ashcroft, Mayfield, Ardrossan.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by down south »

The wedding anniversaries now :

SILVER WEDDINGS

CONNELL - SPEIRS - At Erskine Church, Kilwinning, on June 18 1943, by the Rev Colin Campbell, BD, Harry B Connell to Jean C Speirs. Present address - The Bungalow, Wellington Street, Airdrie.

DUFF - - At Lesser Town Hall, Saltcoats, on June 23 1943, by the Rev J Cleminson Bell, James W Duff to Annie G Munro. Present address - 31 Mayfield Road, Saltcoats.

EVANS - HARRIS - At Polmailly, 60 Gladstone Road, Saltcoats, on June 25 1943, by Rev William Bryce, BD, Colin Evans to Caroline Harris. Present address -44 Hamilton Street, Saltcoats.

GILMOUR - HOUSTON - At Erskine Church, Kilwinning, on June 30 1943, by the Rev C Campbell, John Gilmour to Jean Houston. Present address - 3 River Walk, Kilwinning.

McCALLUM - MATHIE - At Auchenharvie, Stevenston, on June 26 1943, by the Rev J Geddes Ritchie, BD, Fullarton Stewart McMillan to Jane Kinney.

PIROUET - THOMSON - At Troon Old Parish Church, on June 23 1943, by the Rev Luke McQuitty, Phillip Henry Pirouet to Helen McNeill Thomson. Present address - 22 Walker Avenue, Barassie, Troon.

TENNANT - McMASTER - At Barony Church, Kilbirnie, on June 25 1943, by the Rev Pitcairn Hill, James Tennant to Annie McMaster. Present address - 71 Links Road, Saltcoats.

GOLDEN WEDDING

WALLACE - STEWART - At Glasgow on June 24 1918, Andrew Wallace to Jean Stewart. Present address - 15 McGavin Avenue, Kilwinning.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.