Saltcoats Winning Song - 1928

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Saltcoats Winning Song - 1928

Post by Hughie »

Colin McLelland Senior, (on FB wrote)
A few months back Hugh McCallum posted lyrics of a song which won the songwriting competition to celebrate the quater centenary of Saltcoats. It was written by a William McMillan in 1928. People seemed to like it and I commented that I might try to add a tune to it. So with nothing else to do during lockdown I did! I also added a chorus/bridge. It's a very rough recording done on my phone and the video is my first attempt at using the Filmigo app. Once we're back to normal I may record it properly with a few mates. A lot of the photos I used were from this group, so thanks to whoever posted them originally.

Saltcoats Quater Song.jpg
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Saltcoats Winning Song - 1928

Post by down south »

Well done, Colin ! That's a really good tune that sets the mood just right; and the chorus adds a nice finishing touch. And he was being a bit modest about the quality of the recording; amazing what a humble phone can do.

And it's good to see the pictures as well, most of which are new to me; not being on Facebook as I am.

Susan
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

That’s very good, Colin. Thanks for sharing.

George
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

William Kean McMillan
According to family, William was born in 1870 in Glasgow as William Kean - Kean was his mother's maiden name, her usual residence was Saltcoats. William, according to the 1881 census, was still going to school in "Lanark" at the age of 11. His mother married David McMillan, a handloom weaver and he adopted the surname McMillan. William worked for a time on a farm on Arran before returning to Saltcoats where he became a "journeyman" joiner and remained in that trade for the remainder of his working life. In 1893 he married Sarah Duff Thomson, a native of Stevenston and they had eight children. A small volume of poems is said to have been published - William died in 1949.