Baillie linage in 3towners.

For those researching family in the three towns area.
JohnBaillie
New Poster
New Poster

Baillie linage in 3towners.

Post by JohnBaillie »

Greetings.
I reside in Perth, Western Australia and have recently joined this group. Before I set out my request, I would like to extend a huge congratulations to the founders and administrators of www.threetowners.com and www.threetowners.net. In family history terms, this is pure gold. Well done.
Background
1. My interest stems from my paternal family linage in the 19th century period and earlier.
2. My Paternal Grandfather 2 (PGF2) HUGH BAILLIE was born in either Old Ardrossan or Saltcoats, Scotland.
3. His mother was CHRISTIAN WILKIE (Christina Wylkie)(PGM3). She was circa 35 years at the time and the widow of DAVID LIMEBURNER (Lymburnor) (I have put alternative spelling of various names in brackets).
4. I have sourced several Kirk Session minutes from 1823 wherein CHRISTIAN WILKIE (PGM3) features several times starting in January 1823. She alleged that JOHN BAILLIE was the father of the child she was with. The child was later named HUGH BAILLIE (PGF2). Her case/plea was eventually granted in November 1823.
5. I have not been able to locate any baptism records for HUGH BAILLIE (PGF2).
6. My next primary record is the 1841 Census. Therein CHRISTIAN BAILLIE (PGM3) (50 years) and son HUGH (15 yrs)(PGF2) and daughter CHRISTINA (12 yrs)(PGA2) are listed as living in the village of Saltcoats, Green Street. There is no mention of JOHN BAILLIE.
7. Biologically, HUGH (PGF2) was 17 or 18 years old at the time of the 1841 Census. Census records relied on what was disclosed, and errors of this nature were not uncommon. HUGH (PGF2) profession was listed as a Shoemaker. Presumably, he was serving his apprenticeship at that stage of his life.
8. After that, HUGH BAILLIE (PGF2) went on to marry MARTHA McMILLAN (PGM2) and have seven children, one of which was my (PG1), also a HUGH BAILLIE (PGF1). Gets confusing!!
9. Back to HUGH BAILLIE (PGF2). He then featured, along with his growing family, in each Census up and till 1891.
10. His wife, MARTHA McMILLAN (PGM2), passed on 30 November 1879 at Raise Street Saltcoats. Her son, John Baillie, informed of her death.
11. My final primary record of HUGH BAILLIE (PGF2) was the Register of Deaths (page 37) (#111) District of Irvine. He died on 26 June 1896 and was listed as a resident of the CC Poorhouse, Irvine. His wife is listed as MARTHA BAILLIE (MS McMILLAN) (deceased) and his father as JOHN BAILLIE (a Weaver) (deceased), and his mother as CHRISTIAN BAILLIE (MS WILKIE) (deceased). His profession was stated as a Shoemaker.
12. I have linked four sets of current living descendants back to HUGH BAILLIE (PGF2) and his sister, CHRISTINA BAILLIE (PGA2), to my DNA. This is via the ThruLines feature in Ancestry. They are all distant cousins.
My question
· Who is JOHN BAILLIE? That is who his parents were. This will allow me to trace my paternal linage further.
· There were several John Baillie’s in the Threetowners area at that time.
· I have searched countless databases for any indication of the births of HUGH (PGF2)or CHRISTINA (PFA2) and any marriage of CHRISTIAN (PGM3) to JOHN BAILLIE. None were located.
· Based on what I know so far, JOHN BAILLIE relationship with his children appears to have been good. In HUGH BAILLIE (PGF2) death certificate, he was referred to as his father. He also named his second son, John which follows Scottish naming convention.
· How was CHRISTIAN WILKIE (PFM3) able to represent herself as CHRISTIAN BAILLIE and give the surname to each of her two children (HUGH (PGF2)) and CHRISTINA (PGA2))?
Conclusion
JOHN BAILLIE linage is my brick wall, as they say in genealogy. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
JohnBaillie
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Baillie linage in 3towners.

Post by JohnBaillie »

Hi – I thought I would bring you all up to date with my Hugh Baillie (PGF3) brick wall as outlined above.

A lovely person has, via the private message channel, given me a lot of guidance on how to get over this genealogical wall. Local knowledge certainly helps.

I would like to place on record my appreciation for the help. It is heartwarming to be able to reach out and then make a connection.

I am now moving to backtest, using DNA the likely PGF4 (John Baillie), defendants to any living cousins. It is a long shot!!

I will keep you posted.
sheenaj
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Re: Baillie linage in 3towners.

Post by sheenaj »

Hi John. Read your post about Baillie family. I have some in my paternal line John Baillie 1867-1936 married my Gt. Grand Aunt-Helen Stewart. This John parents were Alexander Baillie 1839-1872 and Maria Carlisle 1848-? I have not -as yet, found connection to your line mine seem to come from Kilwinning. But I did take a dig around Anc.com. and found some info that you may or may not have.
Hugh Baillie was in the 1841 census as you say, along with his Mother -born 1791 and sister Christina B.-b-1829. As yet not found spouse of Hugh's Mother. I also found Hugh in Censuses 1851,1861,1881. He did marry Martha Mc Millan and they had 7 children Sons Hugh [ 1849]:John [1850]:Alexander [ 1861]: Daughters Martha[1855]: Christina [1856]:Marion [1859] and Jessie1863].
I looked up marriages between Wilkie and Baillie and all I found was a George Baillie [occ- Flesher] married Christian Wilkie ,Dau. of Charles Wilkie [Plumber].married East Church Perth 15 Mar. 1839.
Hope this helps.
Sheena [Stewart] Jarvis.