Olive oil

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Olive oil

Post by brian f »

Can anybody recommend a good versatile oil ..Don't know much about it-Something I could easily obtain in the UK. Thanks :)
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Olive oil

Post by exile »

brian f wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:53 pm Can anybody recommend a good versatile oil ..Don't know much about it-Something I could easily obtain in the UK. Thanks :)
Jamie Oliver & Hugh Fernley-hyphen both said they'd dropped olive oil for rapeseed oil, as apparently far lower in "bad" fats.
I've started using it for most things - it's light with no strong taste, so more like sunflower oil than olive oil.
There are some overpriced designer makes but Goldenfields is about £1.90 a litre at Tesco's.
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

brian f wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:53 pm Can anybody recommend a good versatile oil ..Don't know much about it-Something I could easily obtain in the UK. Thanks :)
Just realised it was an olive oil brand you were actually looking for, so previous msg probably not much help. :?
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Ask a “foodie” about this and you’ll never get them to shut up. It’s almost like asking a wine buff to recommend a nice wine.... :D

I’m no expert, but generally buy the own-label stuff in Aldi or Lidl. Quite often the greek variety.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Yes, Bruce I know you like your coffee and cake through reading the bike topic :D

I had some pizza express pizzas delivered from Tesco on Saturday and it was recommended you can drizzle with Olive oil before popping them in the oven and it would make them more crispy. Also with the fine weather returning Oo reminds me of Tenerife ... Oh my god the garlic mushrooms the salad buffet bars dripping with oils and beautiful dressings great memories which I hope to enjoy again .It's been quite a while since I shopped at Aldi due to Covid but I will keep in mind what you have posted .thanks.

exile, Thanks, That's useful information which I will take on board and probably others will now consider :)
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

I use Carapelli Oil. It comes in three differnt types, depending what you have to cook or dress. Extra Vergine, Olive Oil and Delicato. Extra Vergine is for dressing salads or food in general, i.e. Spaghetti , garlic, oil and peperoncino. The latter is what I use in cakes to get a lighter pastry.
Other oils are the ones for frying, yellowy colour,peanut oil or sunflower oil, but not good for dressing salads.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Thanks, glenshena- Morrisons sell Carapelli organic extra virgin olive oil .Will remember that the next time i shop at the store.