World War I Gallery

Upload your three towns photographs here - people or places.
Forum rules
Post photographs here, which depict places or people in or from the three towns. You are welcome to upload direct from your computer to this album.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: World War I Gallery

Post by Hughie »

Thanks so much for posting all these images and details from your late brothers research, Penny. It has been very much appreciated. :)
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

I agree, Hughie - thanks Penny Tray.
George
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

I look everyday. And it gives me some insight.

Thanks, George and Penny Tray.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Thanks very much.

I had a notion I might close the topic yesterday by attaching a composite ‘Gallery,’ featuring all 209 photographs (11 photographs in each of 19 rows) in alphabetical order. Alas, albeit I’ve been able to create to create such a ‘file’ for my own purposes, it proved beyond my capabilities to share it. I thought it would be the same as attaching a single photo but it wasn’t :roll: .
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Buster
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Buster »

Penny Tray wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:08 am Private Thomas Grier was killed in action; husband of Rachel Chisholm Grier, Moorpark Road West, Stevenston: -
My great grandfather, thanks for posting this, I have been looking for a photo of him for a few years now, its now great to put a face to his name.
Lest we forget.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Buster wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:22 am
Penny Tray wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:08 am Private Thomas Grier was killed in action; husband of Rachel Chisholm Grier, Moorpark Road West, Stevenston: -
My great grandfather, thanks for posting this, I have been looking for a photo of him for a few years now, its now great to put a face to his name.
Lest we forget.
Buster,

You may or may not have the following information, some of which has already been posted elsewhere on the site, and may be located by a word search: -

NAME: Thomas Grier.
DATE OF DEATH: 21 March 1918.
REGIMENT: 2nd Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers.
SERVICE No. 24685.
LINK TO AREA: Born at Ardrossan; Resident of Ardrossan; Enlisted at Glasgow.
THEATRE OF WAR: France and Flanders.
WHERE BURIED OR COMMEMORATED: Chapelle British Cemetery, Holnon - 111 A.3.
CAMPAIGN MEDALS: British War Medal; Victory Medal.
COMMENTS: Husband of Rachel Chisholm, Moorpark Road West, Stevenston. Brother of Sam and Christina Grier, and Mr and Mrs James Grier, 5 Hirst Place, Saltcoats; son-in-law of Mr Daniel Clark, 1 Auchenharvie Cottages, Stevenston, and brother-in-law of Mrs W. Havelin, Glebe Street, Saltcoats.
ARDROSSAN & SALTCOATS HERALD INTIMATIONS: 12/4/1918; 21/3/1919 (5); 28/3/1919; 19/3/1920; 26/3/1920, and 24/02/1922.

The Ardrossan & Saltcoats Herald also reported: -

“Word has been received that Private Thomas Grier, R.S.F., has been killed in action.

Private Grier, who resided at 21 Glasgow Street, Ardrossan, was previously employed in Ardrossan Shipyard and was home on furlough a month ago. He leaves a widow (who is daughter of Mr and Mrs Dan Clark, Auchenharvie Cottages, Stevenston) and two children, and deep sympathy will be felt for them.

In a letter of sympathy to Mrs Grier, Lieutenant H. A. Hilton says: -

“It would come as a big shock, I know, as your husband had only just returned from leave, and unfortunately the attack commenced the day after he reported.

In addition to your husband, we have lost two officers, and nearly twenty of our men are reported missing, so that for the few lucky ones that are left it has been a sad experience. Your husband was a very willing soldier, and it might be some consolation to you to know that he died instantaneously as close as he could be to the enemy.”
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

What a wonderful job you made of this PT - thank you so much for doing it, a great conclusion to all of George McIntyre’s work. Really well done, a fitting tribute to all the young men who lost their lives in the Great War - and a first class resource for everyone doing research.

Thanks again

Meg