Cannon Hill - Goal Posts

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Cannon Hill - Goal Posts

Post by Hughie »

This might seem silly as it's such a strange place to have a lone goal post in the location indicated by the X in the image below (image courtesy of Bob Bryden). The old memory has failed me on a few occasions, but could this recollection be right - was there a goal post there? Jeezo! If you scored a goal it could've end up in Glasgow Street. :roll:

Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Cannon Hill - Goal Posts

Post by Penny Tray »

Hughie,

There was an actual pitch at that location with two goals, ideal for five-aside matches - and you're right, a goal scored at the Hill Place end could prove troublesome, rolling down the brae to Glasgow Street. I played there on summer evenings with 1st Ardrossan Life Boys, who met in the adjacent Park Church, now, I think, the Church of the Nazarine. Also, many a time after four o'clock when my class, because of overcrowding, was decanted from Winton School to a room in the Castlecraigs . It would probably be in place until at least 1960.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Kirkhall
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Kirkhall »

your are right P.T. I played a few games there,If my memories serves me,I think the field was nearly all grave.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I played there a few times and if memory serves me right it was a ash park, probably half size, and I think I was the youngest and got sent for the ball. (The things you had to do to get a game.) I wonder when it was created and when it was taken away.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I hesitated to mention the surface - I couldn't remember if it was 'earth', the grass having been worn away; ash, blaes, clay; or gravel. It certainly wasn't all grass.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Kirkhall
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Kirkhall »

Sliding tackles was out of the question L.O.L.
Robert Cook
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robert Cook »

When I was a kid in the 40's it was all grass. My dad told me when he was practicing with the home guard on that piece of ground,crawling over it on their bellies, a few 6 year old kids were yelling at them to get aff their pitch and play their sully games somewhere else.
georgeflemingard
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by georgeflemingard »

your right Robert, you and I played at the same time we were probable in the same team, as we were all in the wee Glasgow street gang. But as far as I remember we had to put our jackets down as goal posts. No proper posts then, and there was some grass.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Robert Cook wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:04 pm When I was a kid in the 40's it was all grass. My dad told me when he was practicing with the home guard on that piece of ground,crawling over it on their bellies, a few 6 year old kids were yelling at them to get aff their pitch and play their sully games somewhere else.
Our dads must have been in the home guard at the same time because my dad told me the same story although his language was a wee bit more colourful :lol: