Midweek Euro Football nights.

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Midweek Euro Football nights.

Post by bonzo »

brian f wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:44 pm
bonzo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:29 pm Still loving VAR, Cant wait for it to arrive in the SPL. Lyon beating Sparta is a great result for Rangers .
Celtic and Rangers- Might be worse off

Dont, prolong the suffering :roll:
That's exactly what I'm talking about Brian, there will be bodies passing out all over the place :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Europa League

Rangers game starts at 17.45pm
Celtic game starts straight after.
Today live on BT Sport.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Sorry for the lapse. After Rangers defeating Borussia Dortmund 4-2 in Germany last week the bookies offer odds of 3/1 or better Rangers winning at Ibrox this week. Do the men with heaving satchels consider the first leg result a fluke or is it that the injured Norwegian -Erling Haaland will make a return to first team duty in Glasgow? I will keep my pennies in my pocket, a draw would be fine..

Talking about Norwegians, Celtic have it all to do after losing 3-1 at home against FK Bodø/Glimt last week but you never know an early goal this Thursday and the tie would be wide open again.

And as a member pointed out on the forum-Celtic and Rangers wins boost our Coefficients standings.(Scotland)
GEODGC
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by GEODGC »

Brian. There are no coefficient points for wins in the play off round. Points are only awarded if you progress to the next round.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

Some quite confusing stuff going around here, at least for me anyway.

Celtic are currently involved in a 2 leg aggregate 'Play Off' tie against Bodo Glimpt and should they successfully come through that (wee bit unlikely at present) they'd need to win or draw any single match in their subsequent knockout tie for future co-efficient points - or percentages of - to be awarded in favour of Scottish Teams .. ?

Rangers are currently involved in a 2 leg aggregate tie against Borussia Dortmund and because they won the first leg then co-efficient points - or percentages of, were actually awarded from that in favour of Scottish Teams ... ?

The really confusing thing is why simply winning the first leg of a 'two leg aggregate knockout tie' should somehow magically earn co-efficient points as it's really only half-time in the tie at that point. What next by EUFA, co-efficient points for being ahead after 45 mins in a single leg Match? .. Madness! :lol:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Kittywake wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:06 pm Some quite confusing stuff going around here, at least for me anyway.

Celtic are currently involved in a 2 leg aggregate 'Play Off' tie against Bodo Glimpt and should they successfully come through that (wee bit unlikely at present) they'd need to win or draw any single match in their subsequent knockout tie for future co-efficient points - or percentages of - to be awarded in favour of Scottish Teams .. ?

Rangers are currently involved in a 2 leg aggregate tie against Borussia Dortmund and because they won the first leg then co-efficient points - or percentages of, were actually awarded from that in favour of Scottish Teams ... ?

The really confusing thing is why simply winning the first leg of a 'two leg aggregate knockout tie' should somehow magically earn co-efficient points as it's really only half-time in the tie at that point. What next by EUFA, co-efficient points for being ahead after 45 mins in a single leg Match? .. Madness! :lol:

Oh i just go with the flow, I'm no brain surgeon. Should leave things as it was. Europa conference league, UEFA Nations League and all the rest, probably made up to generate more tv money. Just make things simple please ..so armchair man knows the score. :think:
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

brian f,
I read your own comment, plus GEODGC's, plus the content of the Fans link that Penny Tray posted and came to the conclusion that If EUFA can't even come up with sensible and easy to get your head round rules and conditions for their competitions, then some fans are always going to end up confused. :lol:
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

[quote

[/quote]

To my way of thinking the tie may be over two legs of 90 minutes each but it is not worked out on the outcome of the tie it is worked out on games of 90 mins which is the normal length of a match. Whether it is 1 leg or 2 legs is irrelevant as it’s the level of achievement over a normal match, which is still 90 minutes, so the argument on whether it is half time in the tie is irrelevant as is the 45 minute example. Anything other than that would give single match games an advantage regarding coefficients.
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

meekan wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:00 pm
To my way of thinking the tie may be over two legs of 90 minutes each but it is not worked out on the outcome of the tie it is worked out on games of 90 mins which is the normal length of a match. Whether it is 1 leg or 2 legs is irrelevant as it’s the level of achievement over a normal match, which is still 90 minutes, so the argument on whether it is half time in the tie is irrelevant as is the 45 minute example. Anything other than that would give single match games an advantage regarding coefficients.
Ok, lets say then a particular team win the first leg of an aggregate knockout tie by 1 goal to nil then lose the second leg by 6 goals to nil thereby failing miserably to progress to the next round. Do you really believe that co-efficient points would or should be awarded to their country simply on the basis of their first leg win ?? ...
To my mind. extra co-efficient points are awarded only for progressing when it comes to the knockout stages of a competition, unless of course we're talking about group stages etc where mini-league placings are taken into consideration and prize money also gets paid out for a win or a draw.
Like it or not, it really is only half time after 90 mins in a 2 leg knockout tie .. Also, single match knockout games sometimes go to extra time etc, does that mean that it's only the result after 90 mins that should count towards the co-efficients ??

I used to play a lot of Golf but never once gained anything simply by leading a 2 round aggregate competition after the first 18. :wink:
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Kittywake wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:16 pm
meekan wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:00 pm
Ok, lets say then a particular team win the first leg of an aggregate knockout tie by 1 goal to nil then lose the second leg by 6 goals to nil thereby failing miserably to progress to the next round. Do you really believe that co-efficient points would or should be awarded to their country simply on the basis of their first leg win ?? ... Yes[

To my mind. extra co-efficient points are awarded only for progressing when it comes to the knockout stages of a competition, unless of course we're talking about group stages etc where mini-league placings are taken into consideration and prize money also gets paid out for a win or a draw.

Like it or not, it really is only half time after 90 mins in a 2 leg knockout tie .half time in the tie but full time in the first match

Also, single match knockout games sometimes go to extra time etc, does that mean that it's only the result after 90 mins that should count towards the co-efficients ?? [u]based on the result of the match,
the match being 90+ extra minutes

I used to play a lot of Golf but never once gained anything simply by leading a 2 round aggregate competition after the first 18. :wink: don't get co efficient points either (apples and pears)
Would the bookies pay out on the result of the match or only on the result of the tie? :wink: :wink:
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

meekan, Are you maybe trying too hard here to attempt to justify what (if true) is an absurdity from EUFA ?

You're basically saying that you think it's perfectly fine for a team who lose a 2 leg knockout tie by 6 goals to 1 for instance to actually gain co-efficient points for their country from that .. most folk wouldn't even see it as glorious failure :lol:
By the way, co-efficient points are awarded in Golf but they go by a different name and usually apply to individual players achievements .. they're called 'ranking points' but nobody gets any just for being in front after the first '18 Hole Round' of a 4 round aggregate competition and rightly so.

Your Bookie analogy isn't the best. Bookies will automatically deem any leg of a knockout tie match that goes to extra time as a Draw with no Winner after 90 mins. .. unless the actual Bet specified otherwise. Multiple bets often get placed, including on who the winner will be after extra time or who will win after both legs are played, but I doubt if that will have any bearing on co-efficients.
Last edited by Kittywake on Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.