The Queen's Visit 50 Years Ago

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
maggie
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by maggie »

Hi Meg I thought that was a good one about the Ardenlee I have quite a few memories about that especially one on the way back from Largs
Maggie
oliver prin
Settling In
Settling In

Post by oliver prin »

for any train buffs out there the royal train was pulled by a Britannia class number 70053 named "Moray Firth" It looked like it had just come out of the builders it was so clean.Were we given the day of school or did we all bunk off
imajrk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by imajrk »

As I've already said, I haven't been on the site for a while.

I remember the queen's visit or at least, her car passing us near the cemetery at Stevenston. We all lined up along the road to wave. But I think I was living on Hayocks Road by then, so maybe my memory is of a later visit. My gran was with us, and she lived in Cambuslang but maybe came down to stay as it was a special occasion.

But no, we were living on Hayocks Road then, as I remember one of the neighbours saying she wasn't any nicer looking than his wife!! Everyone got a laugh out of that. So she must have come again, in the 60's.

Why she was back again, I have no idea.

Jean
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The Queen's Visit 50 Years Ago

Post by down south »

I wonder if this is the royal occasion you're remembering, Netta; this old Herald Files report describes a visit by King George VI and the rest of the Royal family to Arran in the summer of 1947;it would certainly accord with you thinking it was when you were quite young. It was later that year of course that Prince Philip married our future Queen Elizabeth, so they had probably just got engaged and he was being welcomed into the Royal fold as it were by joining them on holiday.

" 25th July, 1947. Yesterday the King and Queen accompanied by the Princesses and Lieut Philip Mountbatten landed at Brodick pier from the Royal barque. They lunched with the Duke and Duchess at the castle and then toured the island, inspecting a Boys 'Brigade camp at Whiting Bay and the creamery at Lagg. "

Meanwhile, I'll also add a link to my own photo of the Queen's 1956 visit, shown elsewhere on 3T. My Dad was disappointed his picture failed to capture the Royal visitor; but what a consolation he ended up with, this wonderful tableau of excited locals waving as she passed:

http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... 216#p58216

Susan
Last edited by down south on Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian The Plumber
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Ian The Plumber »

2.jpg
My great Grandfather and Grandmother, Mr & Mrs Robert Arnott, were presented to the Queen that day as well.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

Hi Ian, Welcome to threetowners. :)
I originally heard that story from David Murray, who was a former workmate of mine back in the nineties in Customs at Melbourne Airport - David is Anna Arnott's son. See here
The Murray connection is originally from Stevenston via the USA I'm told. See here.
frank brand
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by frank brand »

I remember the Queen`s visit in 1956.
Myself and Willie Armstrong use to meet the paper train at Ardrossan Town every night to collect that nights papers and deliver them to the local newsagents.

The night before her arrival we weren`t allowed inside the station as they were laying the red csarpet.

The following day I remember climbing up the railings beside The Commercial in order to get a good view.

If I rember rightly she got into her car and drove towards Saltcoats. It was all over in minutes.

The Royal Train remained in the sidings to await being taken to Irvine..

It`s all gone now, the Station, The Commercial, The Signal box, The Lyric, Murchies, McDonalds, The Windsor Cafe.
All gone.

Frank Brand.
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

I'd have been in a pram in 1960, so I can't remember her being in the area.

However, I'd be interested to know, did anyone notice if she was purring like a kitten during her visit to TTT at all? //cool
frank brand
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by frank brand »

I`m not sure what your getting at `did she purr like a kitten`?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

She apparently 'purred' to Mr. Cameron about the No vote Frank.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
imajrk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by imajrk »

I was 8 in 1956, and I remember them passing by on Kilwinning Road across from the cemetery. Some people brought chairs and we all lined up to wave.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Got a pic somewhere of big sis at the kerbside, think it was the coronation, '52? I was too wee ..thank God. all the weans suitably given wee flags to wave. We lived in England then.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis