A wee bit o' Burns

Our "Off Topic" forum - have a wee blether here.
Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with our Board Rules and Guidelines
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: A wee bit o' Burns

Post by George Ardrossan »

I had not seen that poem before, Penny Tray. It is as relevant today as when it was written. Thanks for posting.

George
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Thanks George. It was actually written as a song with "O" at the end of every sentence. I've heard it recited at a couple of Burns Suppers, always without the "O", but I've never heard it sung.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Penny Tray wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:31 pm I've had a chance now to look at the three main contributions to BURNS on TV last night.

I enjoyed the contributions on Burns by the Lagan but still don't understand why it needed to be broadcast from a location that sold Belfast and Northern Ireland as opposed to Ayrshire and Scotland. Hats off, however, to BBC Northern Ireland for the best of the three programmes by far.

Maybe Milda had something to do with It up in Coleraine - She was also born on January 25!
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

At Dunoon Pier there Is a huge statue of a young lady born there who, it seems, was Bonnie Mary, the bards young girlfriend who, like him, died very young, at only 26.
Can anyone confirm this story?
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The lady in question is Mary Campbell (christened Margaret) alias Highland Mary. Robert Burns had a brief affair with her in 1786. She died in Greenock, aged 23, I believe.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.