Music shop in Saltcoats

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
irejim9
Settling In
Settling In

Music shop in Saltcoats

Post by irejim9 »

Listening to the radio in the middle of the night I woke up immediately when I heard the town of Saltcoats mentioned. Interview with Colin Hay, rhythm guitarist with Men at Work who said his parents owned a music shop in Saltcoats from about 1948 - 1957 ? Can anyone recall this shop, where it was and the name?
Sarah
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Music shop in Saltcoats

Post by Sarah »

Remember it well, his father was Jim Hay, the family moved to Australia, both parents have past away..
hahaya2004
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by hahaya2004 »

Irejim9, this might be of interest to you

http://www.threetowners.net/forum/viewt ... =colin+hay
The most important hour is always the present, the most significant person is the one opposite you right now, and the most necessary deed is always love. - Meister Eckhart (c.1260 - c.1328)
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Yes, think I posted before, Dad went in there to buy a disc for my mum for their anniversary, she'd hinted at Jim Reeves 'put your sweet lips'. dad went to the shop and they didn't have it so, told what was //funny the next best seller, he bought Roy Orbison's It's Over.. //funny
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I'm to young to remember this shop but I do remember wee rays on dockhead St across from the broo. I seem to remember I spent a fair bit of my pocket money in there :lol:
Those wimin were in the nip.
Vinegarjoe
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Vinegarjoe »

Seem to remember it was called "Thomsons" in my day ('60s)(Correct me if I'm wrong) Best place to buy stylii for my record player. Also a large record collection. Used to be a toss up between them and Harris's on Dockhead St, who also stocked records upstairs. Wee Ray's came a number of years later at the other end of Dockhead St.
Coming from Stinston, we could also buy the latest singles (not big on albums!!) at Union Electronics on New St, run by Frank Gilmour, who also had another electronics shop adjacent to Ardeer Parish Church manse on Shore Road, and at one time owned a "supermarket" at the Station gates on the corner of Warner St.
I remember going after school at Stevenston High and buying the single (6/8d, if I remember!!) Whistling Jack Smith's "I was Kaiser Bill's Batman" from the shop on New Street......oh dear!!! I'll get my coat!!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Also remember in John menzies and woollies you could change the price stickers on the albums and get them cheaper, obviously I only heard of people doing this as I was far to honest to do it.
Those wimin were in the nip.
aland
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by aland »

think of colin hay and think of this

got a few why's when we played it while out campaigning
call me alan or al, labels are for tins of beans or soup not people. We are all Jock Tamson's bairns
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

irejim9 wrote: Can anyone recall this shop, where it was and the name?
I dont recall Hays music shop on Hamilton St, a bit before my time, but I remember the location of the music shop after it was acquired by Ray Humphries, Bill Underwood and Barcley Fullerton (sp). At a guess I would say it was situated at aproxomately 50 yards up from the La Scala picture house.
In the late 60's the shop was known as " the music shop and keyboard centre", it had the booths to let you listen to records of your selection, it sold music sheets of the latest releases and on a Saturday Joe McGrath, a teacher, would play the Hammond organ in the extention to the main shop
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

lrejim9 wrote:
"Listening to the radio in the middle of the night I woke up immediately when I heard the town of Saltcoats mentioned. Interview with Colin Hay, rhythm guitarist with Men at Work who said his parents owned a music shop in Saltcoats from about 1948 - 1957 ? Can anyone recall this shop, where it was and the name?"

"Hays Music Shop" was situated on Hamilton Street. From Stark's the Tobacconist, move towards the War Memorial approximately 3 doors and their shop would have been directly across the road. I think part of the structure was / is a Tanning Salon (yes, in Saltcoats //funny ).

A court case regarding copyright and their hit "Down Under" cost the band a considerable sum and Colin believes it contributed to his father's death;
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/mu ... 37974ea1ce
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

"What language are you talking in now? It appears to be Bo**ocks."
creamolafoam
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by creamolafoam »

bonzo wrote:I'm to young to remember this shop but I do remember wee rays on dockhead St across from the broo. I seem to remember I spent a fair bit of my pocket money in there :lol:
Bought my first record in their in the very early seventies (cracklin' rosie - neil diamond). Old fella and a young hippie type ran it, & I've noticed he is in a local band still.
Also remember one just after that, up in Hamilton st opposite where starks is just now, can't think if they moved up their or if it was someone else. On a wee side note my favourite all time record shop was 23rd precinct in glasgow, long since gone.
Retsum
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Retsum »

I remember the record shop in Hamilton Street in the 50's. As I recall you had to go upstairs. I bought my first LP there. It was Bizet's Carmen and it came on 3 LPs. I could only afford to buy them one at a time with quite a gap between. So on the first record I had the beginning and end of the opera. I felt a real sense of achievement when I was able to stack all three on the record player and listen to the complete opera (incidentally, I'm not a great fan of opera but Carmen is different). My purchase coincided with the family buying a Dansette? record player - prior to that it had been a windup mechanical gramophone.