The Scottish Premiership

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The Scottish Premiership

Post by michaelm »

I'm sure you weren't being serious there, hence my waccy baccy comment.

Although it probably happened at some point in years gone by, I can't remember St. Johnstone ever finishing above Celtic in the league, and that's showing no disrespect to them. :wink:
Last edited by michaelm on Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Michael and Foam.

St. Johnstone vs Celtic- Saturday 20 August 12.15.
Let the best team win :wink:
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

I know anything can happen in a one off game of fitba', but whatever the result next week brian I doubt if it'll have much bearing on where the league title ends up at the end of the season.
Plus I'm sure the bookies will be offering far shorter odds on St. Johnstone finishing above that other Glasgow team you mentioned earlier. :wink:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Aberdeen capitulate at parkheid as usual.
Those wimin were in the nip.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote:Aberdeen capitulate at parkheid as usual.
Did not see that coming 4-1. Celtic fans must be loving it ! Could the fact that Barcelona and Man City who's the other team forgot are coming to Celtic park be a burden ?

Reality checks ........
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

It's Aberdeen to a tee they go to parkheid and their bottle crashes. After the international break Rangers go to celtic think they'll need at least a draw to stop celtic running away with it at this early stage.
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

Just back on after a wee absence....
bonzo wrote:Aberdeen capitulate at parkheid as usual.
I attended this match, and IMHO, Aberdeen did not in any way capitulate, they actually played well, and were still in it very late on, with Celtic scoring two late goals for the 4-1 victory.

A wee aside, it's Celtic Park, never ever Parkhead, or even as you call it, Parkheid. That's just an area in the East End of Glasgow where the ground happens to be situated. :wink:

creamolafoam wrote:1 Rangers
2 St Johnstone
3 Celtic
4 Aberdeen
Think st Johnstone have been strong over the last few seasons and will hold off celtic who will struggle in league due to their europa lge commitments
GEODGC wrote:1 Rangers
2 Celtic
3 Hearts
4 Aberdeen

I think Kilmarnock will get relegated this year.
brian f wrote:1 Aberdeen
2 Celtic
3 Hearts
4 Rangers

But i hope am wrong ... :wink:
Of course, each to their own opinions, but seriously!? :boohoo: :mrgreen:
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Thanks for the Geography lesson but it's what I and many others have always called it and I'm not changing now.
peterm1711
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by peterm1711 »

bonzo wrote:Thanks for the Geography lesson but it's what I and many others have always called it and I'm not changing now.

I can assure you I wasn't giving out any geography lesson bonzo, merely stating a 100% fact. //perfect

However, call it whatever you wish. Believe me, I've heard it called much worse than Parkheid. :wink:
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

The first football match played at Celtic Park was, I think, Celtic versus Renton on 20 August 1892, the following report of which appeared in the Glasgow Herald on 22 August.

The "opening" of the ground had taken place the previous week to host an athletics meeting.

SATURDAY'S FOOTBALL
LEAGUE MATCH
CELTIC v RENTON

This match was played on the new ground of the Celtic Club in presence of about 11,000 spectators.

The teams were:-

Celtic - Cullen, Reynolds, Doyle, Gallocher (No. 1), Kelly, Clifford, Gallocher (No. 2, Johnstone FC), Murray (2nd XI), Madden, Ford (2nd XI), and Campbell.

Renton - Lindsay, Quigley, A McColl, Devine, Allison, McKechnie, Mathieson, Murray, Bell, J McColl, and Towie.

Celtic, having won the toss, elected to play with a strong wind behind them. They were soon busy in attempting break down the Renton's defence, in which they failed to discover any weak spots. James McColl next led off an attack, but before he could part with the ball Doyle cleared in grand style. A perfect bombardment was kept up round Lindsay's goal, ever which a keen vigilance was kept up by Lindsay and his backs. Breaking up the attack, the Renton lads got into line and outran their opponents, Bell crowning the effort with a splendidly taken goal fifteen minutes after the kick-off.

The Celtic went at their work with a keener determination than ever, but although for a considerable time they kept the ball in front of Lindsay, they failed to find an opening. As the wind increased in strength, it was thought that the Celts would equalise. They certainly worked hard with this end in view, yet, notwithstanding, they could not get the better of Renton. Lindsay, and Quigley, certainly prevented the Celtic from scoring more than one goal. However, a few minutes from time, Campbell equalised, and just on the call of time a second goal was notched amidst great enthusiasm, making the score 2 to 1 in favour of the Celtic.

When ends were changed the Renton made an incursion into the Celts' territory, and Murray missed the mark by inches. Then the home team took up the running and gave a fine exhibition of the passing game, terminating in a neatly taken goal amidst cheers.

Smart play on both sides kept matters lively, but there were many miscalculations at goal which seemed to chagrin the supporters of both teams. Renton ultimately redeemed any bad shooting on their part by notching a second goal. A minute or two later the equalising goal was registered.

Then came a tug-of-war, Renton, if anything having the pull. After 15 minutes of the second half had gone, Mathieson retired, leaving Renton with 10 men.

About 15 minutes from time Madden and Quigley lost their tempers and the referee asked them to retire, which they accordingly did.

The rest of the game was keenly contested - Renton with nine men and Celtic with ten - and just on the call of time Celtic, during a scrimmage, rushed the ball through so that the game ended - Celtic 4 goals; Renton, 3 goals.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Penny Tray wrote: About 15 minutes from time Madden and Quigley lost their tempers and the referee asked them to retire, which they accordingly did.
Wouldn't it be nice if it worked like this today.

JD.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Bit of a gubbing for Rangers, their defensive frailties came to the fore. The gulf between the teams was there to be seen. Bragging rights for the sellick boys on Monday.