The Scottish Premiership

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: The Scottish Premiership

Post by brian f »

meekan wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:11 am . It is sad that in 2022 we have in every team’s support creatures who are steeped in bitterness against anyone who’s view is the opposite to theirs.
"Every team's"

Would that include the Celtic supporters?
Last edited by brian f on Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:40 am
The whole throwing things at players seems to be raising it's ugly head again, it was only a couple of months ago that Hearts Barrie McKay being pelted with coins and hit with a bottle at parkhead.
And i thought the Celtic support had a good reputation. :think:
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Kittywake wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:15 pm

Rangers have also just recently withdrawn from the friendly tournament due to be played in Australia this coming November, supposedly citing contractual issues with the organisers. :lol:
Celtic and Rangers fans rage over Sydney friendly as Green Brigade fume 'shove it'
Neither set of fans appear happy with the decision to stage the first game between the clubs overseas.( Daily record)

:lol:
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I include Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, and Aberdeen support, I even witnessed this at Kilmarnock who have an element in their support that wouldn’t be on my Christmas card list. I think it is not just a football problem but society in general, there doesn’t seem to be any respect for other peoples point of view. Religion gets the blame for a lot of this but I’m quite sure that most of the offenders wouldn’t know what the inside of a sanctuary looks like.
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

brian f wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:37 pm
Celtic and Rangers fans rage over Sydney friendly as Green Brigade fume 'shove it'
Neither set of fans appear happy with the decision to stage the first game between the clubs overseas.( Daily record)

Brian f, Do I detect a bit of 'whataboutery' here from yourself and Mr bonzo?

A certain section of the Celtic support were unhappy, but as they hold no real sway when it comes to making sound financial decisions, the Club's Board rightfully just ignored them and are fully committed to the Oz trip later this year.

On the other hand, a section of Rangers fans seem to have made a huge deal about this trip going ahead and their own Cub's Board now actually look to have caved in to their nonsense, despite having signed a contract to participate.

Regarding what happened on Sunday, Club's wont ever shut a part of their own ground for any length of time unless they're carrying out essential maintenance, or are forced to by the football authorities. That's not going to happen in domestic leagues in Scotland unless 'strict liability' regarding fan behaviour gets introduced and the SFA etc aren't interested in opening up that can of worms just now.
Hopefully the Rangers Board will soon release a statement along these lines as that's about all they can do at the moment. https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl ... e-22363126
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

The difference between the Celtic protesters and the group protesting from Rangers side is that the Rangers protesters have fairly large share holdings and as such would have influence at the clubs agm. The other consideration is that there is a bit of a power struggle going on with King trying to get back on the board and putting cash up as a lure, which if history is anything to go by will only come at a cost.
Regarding the bottle throwing incident the word is that a 42 year old has been charged with throwing a bottle. But I saw other missiles being thrown and bits of a broken bottle around the goal mouth area.
No doubt the authorities will hand out slaps on the wrists to the perpetrators.
It might seem harsh but I think we should bring back the birch and have the flogging carried out at half time at the next home game of the club he claims to support. These animals can only relate to violence.
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

brian f wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:20 pm
meekan wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:11 am . It is sad that in 2022 we have in every team’s support creatures who are steeped in bitterness against anyone who’s view is the opposite to theirs.
"Every team's"

Would that include the Celtic supporters?
brian f, You really need to try a wee bit harder, it's rippin' oot ye. :lol:
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

meekan wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:33 pm The difference between the Celtic protesters and the group protesting from Rangers side is that the Rangers protesters have fairly large share holdings and as such would have influence at the clubs agm. The other consideration is that there is a bit of a power struggle going on with King trying to get back on the board and putting cash up as a lure, which if history is anything to go by will only come at a cost.
Regarding 'protesters' I'm sure I saw a couple of banners on display while watching a game involving Celtic on TV, but that's about it really. The Celtic board have since confirmed they're committed to the Oz trip and nothing more seems to have been said. By far the biggest opposition to it I think has come from Rangers fans - and their own Board simply folded to the pressure like a Dave King house of cards. This could possibly end up in Court now.

To my mind, any reported involvement by King was probably calculated by him but is nothing more than a side issue here. As for protesters with large shareholdings being the driving force, no disrespect but I don't know where that came from. Surely every high level shareholder of a football Club would be keen to support legitimate off season mini tourney's that their Board signed up to as it would help to bring extra revenue in?

Incidentally, this mini tournament in Australia was planned long before Ange Postecoglou was even in the frame for the Celtic managers job. :puter
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

On the other hand, a section of Rangers fans seem to have made a huge deal about this trip going ahead and their own Cub's Board now actually look to have caved in to their nonsense, despite having signed a contract to participate.

My son and soccer mad grandson have tickets for the Rangers Celtic match in Sydney and September.
Looks like someone is going to be very disappointed.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

No whataboutery from me I only stated a fact. As I have said before I grew up supporting rangers now I just watch football. Old firm fans would take the joy out of Christmas, 2 cheeks of the same erse. Not for me, I will support any Scottish team in Europe, other than that international football for me.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Kittywake
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Kittywake »

bonzo, I'm sure you'll know that there are morons to be found following every football club, it happens at International matches as well.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:41 am No whataboutery from me I only stated a fact. As I have said before I grew up supporting rangers now I just watch football. Old firm fans would take the joy out of Christmas, 2 cheeks of the same erse. Not for me, I will support any Scottish team in Europe, other than that international football for me.
Good post that bonzo :clap: