Shakespeare Scenes by the Academy artists

Other photos that don’t fit elsewhere can be shown in this album.
Forum rules
Show photographs here, which don't fit elsewhere. Use a storage agent such as http://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Shakespeare Scenes by the Academy artists

Post by down south »

Some time ago I showed some pictures of artworks by pupils of Ardrossan Academy that appeared in school magazines; some of them showing local scenes, other featuring caricatures of staff members.

In 1964 another subject was chosen: the plays of William Shakespeare, in the year when the country was celebrating his 400th birthday. And coming across these in the 1964 magazine while scanning pictures for another topic, I thought while we are now commemorating the 400th anniversary of his death, I might as well add these for the interest of those of you who enjoyed the previous pictures.

And if it sparks any Shakespearean memories among you all, whether of studying his plays at school or even attending professional productions of them, then that will be a bonus.

Here first are Puck and Titania from A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Anne Evans:

And this will be Prospero and his daughter Miranda from The Tempest, by Anne Norwood :

Hamlet is brooding around the castle of Elsinore in this picture by Ilene McEwan:

And finally we have the Three Witches from Macbeth, by Barbara Jones:

Fond memories of this scene being enacted in Mrs Dick's class, with the waste bin serving as cauldron and an old chair leg to stir it with, and Janice ( needless to say ) leading the witches.

Susan
Last edited by down south on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Shakespeare Scenes by the Academy artists

Post by Penny Tray »

Susan,

You make a single reference too "Janice". Having read your contributions over the years, I think I know who you mean but perhaps you could clarify for any newcomers to the site.

I'm actually hesitant to post this because I can never catch you out :wink: .
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
down south
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Shakespeare Scenes by the Academy artists

Post by down south »

Sorry, PT. Of course I mean that leading Scottish author and much-appreciated performer of her own works, Janice Galloway. ( Though actually we did have several other Janices in our class ).

Susan