Re: Threetowners cycling thread

Post by Kittywake »

Nobody seems keen on cycling Cat's, ah well never mind. :) :wink:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Managed out twice last week. First one, one day after work, was my usual "hour or thereabouts loop" - from saltcoats, up past the cemetery, stanley rd, then up to top of Ardrossan. Follow the old Ardrossan high rd to West K, then on out Kilruskin Rd which takes you back on to the A78 just before Hunterston, then back home along the A78 coast road.

Yesterday was a wee bit further. I had heard that the coffee caravan which usually sits at the roundabout between beith/lochwinnoch/howwood was very good, so that was my destination. Went there via a roundabout route, which was much hillier than I remembered.

Started off from Saltcoats, Stevenston, Dubbs Rd to Kilwinning then out through Benslie to Torranyard. Farm roads from there, uphill all the way, eventually taking me to Dunlop. Kept going through the town towards Lugton.
From there, more back roads - with some short-but-very-steep hills - across towards lochwinnoch, and a great downhill to the junction where the coffee caravan sits.

Except it wasn't there. Turns out it's only there weekdays.

So on towards Lochwinnoch, then followed the cycle path to Glengarnock, around Dalry, then to Dalgarven. Followed the main road into Kilwinning, crossed the railway on the wee bridge that used to take you to a nursery, then through Woodside and Whitehurst park, up the hill, past the solar farm and into stevenson at Hayocks. Past Ardeer golf club, then back down to the high road and home.

63km, and good training for the adventure I've got planned later this month,
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I got a good batter at it on Saturday morning too Bruce.
Left the hoose around half 6 and headed into kilwinning, Stevenston and along the High road to Ardrossan. Turned back along the front and via the prom,quarry and Dubbs rd back to Irvine.
Onto the cycle path at the recycling centre (which I notice has now been named Whithorn Way) round the harbour then to Barrasie, Troon, Prestwick and Ayr.
Onwards to Alloway where I looped round back into Ayr and then retraced my tracks back to Irvine. Once back in Irvine I was just short of 100km so I toddled around the town to get me over the 100 kms for the first time this year.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Brilliant. 80 is my longest this year so far - hope to change that soon. Watch this space!
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Haha, you're teasing us Bruce.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

I know I am :-)

I've signed up for the "Ride to the Sun". An overnight ride, on the saturday closest to Midsummers night. Leaving Carlisle mid evening, back over the border to Gretna, Lockerbie, Beattock, Moffat. Stop there for re-fuelling, then up through the Devil's Beeftub. Penicuik, Edinburgh, aiming to get to Cramond beach before sunrise.

Just over 100 miles.

https://www.ridetothesun.co.uk/
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Oft, that sounds like a sair wan Bruce, I don't think I've got a 100 mile cycle in me, good luck with it.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Bruce wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:55 am I know I am :-)

I've signed up for the "Ride to the Sun". An overnight ride, on the saturday closest to Midsummers night. Leaving Carlisle mid evening, back over the border to Gretna, Lockerbie, Beattock, Moffat. Stop there for re-fuelling, then up through the Devil's Beeftub. Penicuik, Edinburgh, aiming to get to Cramond beach before sunrise.

Just over 100 miles.

https://www.ridetothesun.co.uk/

Good luck Bruce. I have some Pro Plus spare- give us a shout if required :lol:
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

It's a bit further than I've ever done before, but I'm hoping that I'll be carried along by the atmosphere and enthusiasm.
The route is relatively flat, apart from one long climb coming out of Moffat.
Bruce
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Bruce »

Last night was the "Ride to the Sun".... longest ride I've ever done. Carlisle to Edinburgh.

Started mid afternoon, bike along to Kilwinning, train to Glasgow, then train to Carlisle. Arrived there about 6 and made my way to the park where it starts off.

As organised rides go, this one is fairly informal. No need to register, no fee, set off whatever time you want, the objective is to reach Cramond beach by sunrise. Due to covid restrictions, the "organised bits" couldn't happen, so it was a "back to basics" ride. Still several hundred people doing it.

Most people were talking about leaving around 7.30 or 8, but one of the "key stops" on the route was shutting at 11 due to covid restrictions - more on that later - so many people started earlier.

I got on the road about 6.30, heading out of Carlisle towards the M6 junction, then main road to Longtown. Turn left there and head for Gretna.

After 20km, I'm back in Scotland at Gretna Green.

From Gretna, the route mostly follows the B road that runs parallel to the M74 and the railway line. Ecclefechan, Lockerbie, Johnstonebridge, Beattock.

I have to admit, the first half of the route is a little bit uninspiring. for most of the way, there are trees and thick bushes both sides, so no great views. But you occasionally catch a brief glimpse of a vista. And it's flat, and very few cars, and you can make good time.

Through Beattock, and head away from the motorway towards Moffat, just as the sun starts to set. "Real sunset" wasn't for an hour later, but it's hilly, so the sun is hidden earlier. Some good views now.

Moffat, 70km, nearly the "half way point". That's the "key stop" on the route. The chip shop in Moffat welcomed us, and was doing a roaring trade! Must have been 100 people sitting outside stocking up on carbs for the night. I'd need that energy for the next bit.

Fish & chips eaten, back on the road just after 10. It's dark now, so lights on.

The hill out of Moffat is know as the "Devil's Beeftub" - goes back to the days of the border rievers , where they kept their stolen cattle in a valley between 4 hills. It's not a particularly steep hill - averages about 3% - but seems to go on forever. I think its about 7 miles.

For me, it was a painful slog, making me realise that I'm not hill fit, and overweight!. Lots of people passed me..

But once over the top it's downhill for at least 15km, following the Tweed valley. A stop at the disused Crook Inn - normally they have a "Cyclorave" here, but this year it was just handing out water, bananas and midge spray! It was cold, so changed into the full gloves and long leggings - most people had done that earlier.

It's strange cycling at night. We were going through what I assume is spectacular scenery, in the Tweed valley, but you can't see any of it. But you hear things you wouldn't normally notice - the water in the river, animals in fields...

More lumpy bits south of Penicuik, although nothing like the earlier hills. eventually you pass through Penicuik and go past Hillend Ski slope, and it's downhill all the way to Edinburgh city centre. Deserted roads. Past the castle and across Princes St around 3am, then it's another 5k or so out to the beach at Cramond, where you're greeted with a beer and wait for sunrise.

101 miles, my first overnight ride, and my first imperial century.
Tired and sore today!

Last edited by Bruce on Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Brilliant Bruce, absolutely brilliant :good: :good:
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Well done Bruce I’m tired and sore thinking about that ride. It must have been very weird and eerie cycling in the dark on unfamiliar roads. I say again well done.