Day trip to Arran

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Day trip to Arran

Post by michaelm »

Glad you both enjoyed the pic's, morag and bonzo.

Posting my reply below in here as it's not really about the Arran Ferry.
5siamese7 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:47 pm It was gey rough place at one time with some scary guys from Glasgow. They did cheap lunches and there best was roast pork,great tatties and veg. Don't remember a coal fire in my time. Preferred the Brodick bar and the Douglas which was very civilised. The Gen Sannox in the sixties looked as though it had at list. Wee England is still a great place and thank goodness the ferry will still go from Ardrossan
Not doubting your own recollections's in any way Bill, but personally speaking I don't really recall the Ormidale's Bar or Greenhouse lounge being particularly 'rough'.
Sure, you'd get the odd one or two dodgy drunken character's, particularly during busy holiday periods, but you could get that almost anywhere at times - Brodick Bar and the Douglas included.

The overriding memories I have of the place during the mid 70's are all good. The Jukebox in the Greenhouse belting out the Eagles 'Hotel California' .. or Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Freebird' along with many more classic songs.
Then there were the numerous impromptu but often excellent guitar and vocal renditions etc from folk who were simply out to have a good time - that's the way I'll always remember the Ormidale. :)
Last edited by michaelm on Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

I don't remember it being rough either Michael - nor do I remember anybody scary - even at the Glasgow September weekend when all the bikers went over. There was always a really funny but great mix of people. One of the best watering holes on Arran. I loved it. The tramp back to Glen Rosa wasnt that great though! :lol
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

The greenhouse was a must! Never saw any trouble in it, only thing, on a warm day, condensation dripping into your booze! Usually had a good singalong going...happy times.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
5siamese7
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by 5siamese7 »

I'm glad you have fond memories of the Ormidale and yes its true that mostly it was ok but I was there a few years before you and some of those Glaswegians then were out for trouble . I remember mostly good times .
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

5siamese7 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:18 pm I'm glad you have fond memories of the Ormidale and yes its true that mostly it was ok but I was there a few years before you and some of those Glaswegians then were out for trouble . I remember mostly good times .
I’m talking late 60s early 70s - and seriously don’t remember anyone being out for trouble. In fact, it was the one place my dad would leave me with my pals - even though I couldn’t drink, being underage :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Mid to late 60's, no problems. One trip over my 2 sisters, neice and I got drookit on the way there, typical! Torrential rain, then dry..my wee sis had a brolly, up doon, up doon! The two of them were walking ahead of me an my niece and their body language and mutterings had me barely able to walk for laughing! When we got to the hotel had to walk through the public bar, dripping wet...got a few amused glances, my sisters still hunched over, scowling, ladies room..my sis's using the hand drier to dry their troosers...priceless! :lol:
C.S.Lewis
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

michaelm wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:53 pm Glad you both enjoyed the pic's, morag and bonzo.

The overriding memories I have of the place during the mid 70's are all good. The Jukebox in the Greenhouse belting out the Eagles 'Hotel California' .. or Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Freebird' along with many more classic songs.
Then there were the numerous impromptu but often excellent guitar and vocal renditions etc from folk who were simply out to have a good time - that's the way I'll always remember the Ormidale. :)
Actually-Michaelm-That must have been Heaven. :D
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Loved it..but a bit before your time!
C.S.Lewis
exile
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by exile »

michaelm wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:53 pm Then there were the numerous impromptu but often excellent guitar and vocal renditions etc from folk who were simply out to have a good time - that's the way I'll always remember the Ormidale. :)
That's exactly my memory of Arran in the early/mid 70s, altho' our hangout was the Whiting Bay Hotel during 3 days' camping, when the the bar door was locked 5 minutes after opening at 11am because it was already full up.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

morag wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:23 pm Loved it..but a bit before your time!
Yes, Morag- Missed out as i seemed to drink in the pubs in Lamlash,Whiting Bay and the Kildonan Hotel in the seventies. In the 80's i took a few fillies up to Arran and visited the Ormidale.

Arran is so close to the Mainland, but you would think you were in a different planet when the boat arrived at Brodick. Magical place :)
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Named my daughter Angela Arran... :)
C.S.Lewis
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Snapped this photo of a Grey Heron close to Brodick shoreline on a trip to Arran in 2013.

And also this view of Goat Fell.