Kilmeny Hotel

Discuss all aspects of the three towns in the Threetowners' Lounge.
jockbok
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Kilmeny Hotel

Post by jockbok »

I worked in all three bars in the Ingeldene in the late 60's and when I needed a quiet pint I would always walk along to the Kilmeny. There was never any trouble there although the prices were dearer. The lady that mentioned ducking the ashtray would have been ducking bar stools and tables at the Ingeldene Hotel.
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Never went to the bar in the 'dene, just the lounge. I always found the Lauriston a bit sedate, the Kilmeny a bit rough and, like Goldilocks, the Ingledene 'just right'! That was in the '60's.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Kenny Fen
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

Post by Kenny Fen »

:)
morag wrote:The dancing they had was very popular. On a similar note (so to speak) there was a trio from Greenock performed in the Red Herring, Anyone remember their name? I almost get it numerous times then...
Hi
Group in the Red Herring, I think, we're called Summer Set.
Used to go there every Monday and they were on.
Also, do you remember Davy Fitzpatrick singing 'My Girl' ?
After the Tap Shop we'd go to the Melbourne for one with.
Not now as I am totally vegetarian.
Kenny.
Bonnet De Douche............
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Don't remember them as that.but do recall them singing ''you're just too good to be true..and them grinning at 'I want to touch you so much'..lol!
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Kenny Fen wrote: Hi

After the Tap Shop we'd go to the Melbourne for one with.
Not now as I am totally vegetarian.
Kenny.
Bonnet De Douche............
One with didn't have much meat back then anyway Kenny :lol: For those that didn't eat such delicacies at the Melbourne, one with was a roll with Lothian's sausage with onions.

Meg
PhilipDinOZ
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PhilipDinOZ »

Scott McCallum wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:14 pm It was a Mrs Coleman that ran the Ingledene in the 70s before she took over the Bay Hotel in Saltcoats, probably in the early eighties.

Scott McCallum
Mrs COLEMAN!! That could well be it. Thanks Scott
Max
Settling In
Settling In

Post by Max »

I recall hearing that there was some wood panelling from a ship used in the ballroom of the original Kilmeny hotel. Never did find much more online about it though.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

morag wrote: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:05 pm My pals and I rarely went to the Kilmeny, deemed a bit 'chancy' in the late 60's, The Ingledene was the place for us. The Lauriston a bit for more sedate folk. These buildings were lovely, think the Lauriston is the only one still standing as was?
The Ingledean isthe more original , all be it converted to Flats,
The Lauriston similar to original after it was sold by the Lawson family , the front conversion was done probably in the mid 80s
Last time I was in the Lauriston was about 1978 and it had the original frontage(more or less)
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

PhilipDinOZ wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:50 am
Scott McCallum wrote: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:14 pm It was a Mrs Coleman that ran the Ingledene in the 70s before she took over the Bay Hotel.

Mrs COLEMAN!! That could well be it. Thanks Scott
Today is Mrs Colemans Birthday. Born the same day as the Queen. She's 94 and receives a birthday card every year from the palace.
She was living by herself just up to a month ago when she was taken into a care home.
GordMac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by GordMac »

When Mrs Coleman took over the Bay she used to allow her two dogs to sit on the seat on the right as you entered the lounge,young brother Colin went in and as usual it was busy,so he removed the said dogs from their throne,unfortunately he was wearing a new sheepskin jacket and when he took it off one of them lifted its leg and christened it.He complained to Mrs Coleman who lmmediately banned him.She wouldn’t pay to have it cleaned,I can’t remember what the outcome was but I remember it made the Sunday Mail shortly after.He was never allowed back in till Ronnie Nicol took over and forgave him,probably ended up one of his best customers.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Gordon I remember too, she had about four of these Yorkshire terriers. She and her husband and dogs entered the Bay just before us, and as soon as the dogs entered the hall, two of them lifted their leg. I never went back.
cadoganman
Settling In
Settling In

Post by cadoganman »

Max wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:57 pm I recall hearing that there was some wood panelling from a ship used in the ballroom of the original Kilmeny hotel. Never did find much more online about it though.
The light oak panelling with glass shelving which formed the the divisions between the dining room and the Lounge and also between the reception area and the dance hall was purchased from Troon shipyard. There was at that time some sort of cruise ship being broken up. The reason I know this was because Shelia Cameron and my mother were close friends and she was with her when she purchased the interior fittings. I remember the Kilmeny Hotel very well as it was also where I held my 21st birthday party and Shelia gave me the venue free of charge. In later years when I managed the Ingledene Hotel we always retained a happy relationship with Alan Cameron in the Kilmeny and Jean Lawson and family in the Lauriston Hotel