Scotland Football Team.

Talk about your sporting interests here - worldwide or local
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Scotland Football Team.

Post by brian f »

bonzo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:33 pm Scotland v Ukraine at Hampden in the play off semi final and if we win that it's away to Wales or Austria in the final.
I don't think we can grumble with that bonzo..When you look at the possibilty of Portugal v Italy.
A big chance. :)
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

The Scotland manager should be looking at (Ross Stewart ) born in Irvine, ex Ardeer Thistle, Kilwinning Rangers amongst others who now plays for Sunderland. Have a look at this you tube video from yesterdays game at Wycombe. The first goal goes down as an own goal.. ? the other 2 goals he scored are very impressive including the explosive pace he shows for his second goal- not bad for a big man. Sunderland as most football followers know are in the Red ,Black and White.

bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

He got another hat trick on 30th December against Sheffield Wednesday. 19 goals in 36 appearances for Sunderland.
Those wimin were in the nip.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

I watched the game live yesterday and was very impressed with him, but putting things into perspective he's playing in the third tier of English football, and his football pedigree is Ardeer Thistle, Kilwinning Rangers, St. Mirren, Alloa (on loan) (after 10 games for St. Mirren without a goal), and Ross County. He has a distance to go, but at 25 years of age, worth keeping an eye on. It would be interesting to see him with better players round about him than he's had to date.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Lyndon Dykes, Has been excellent for Scotland recently. He currently plays for QPR in the English Football League Championship. Sunderland will be in that league for next season. Dont know if Ross Stewart will ... in the form he is in maybe he might be elsewhere! Anyway we will have to wait and see and as Scotland are a bit thin up top he could be a good addition to the squad.

And thanks for the comments guys it's good to talk.
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

Brian,

If he's in Steve Clark's next squad we'll no doubt hear from you :lol:

I see he was born in Irvine, which probably means Irvine Central Maternity Hospital, but does anybody know which town can lay claim to him if he makes it big-time? He was good enough yesterday to be Ardrossan :wink: .
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

He has a home in Pierceton, Irvine across from a friend of mine.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

meekan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:42 am He has a home in Pierceton, Irvine across from a friend of mine.

meekan, Do you think he will go much further in the game, International, EPL or even Celtic or Rangers. Has he any connection to the Threetowns apart from playing for Ardeer Thistle.?
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Ross scored again tonight as Sunderland lost 1- 3 to Lincoln City in the league. Chris Maguire scored a hatrick for the visitors.Apparently Maguire represented Scotland a couple of times over ten year ago. Maybe too old for a recall but you never know what Steve is watching.

btw- if you remember Chris playing for Scotland award yourself a SIlver.. not quite Gold. :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Maguire
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

I remember him at Aberdeen Brian, I was at the game in Dublin in 2011 but I can't mind him getting capped.
bonzo
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bonzo »

Brian, another wee piece about Ross Stewart.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60158844
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

Cheers bonzo. Reading that about Ross shows he had confidence in his ability and was determined to make it. His current team Sunderland lost 6-0 at Bolton yesterday and seem to have gone off the boil. That could hinder his chances with a call up to the Scotland squad. ? Lyndon Dykes scored twice for QPR yesterday against Reading, dont know about Che Adams with Southampton but Kevin Nesbitt apparently is going through a current run of bad form with Hibs, so who knows if Ross will make to Steve's team. Anyhow my thoughts are turning to a different game which takes place on Saturday .....sitting on an armchair with fingers over the eyes. :roll: