What's the latest movie you've seen?

Discuss the books you've read, the movies and TV shows you've seen
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: What's the latest movie you've seen?

Post by meekan »

I went to see "I wanna dance with somebody" the story of Whitney Houston's rise to fame and of her demise. An enjoyable film if you liked her music and are interested in all the influences on her life.
bobnetau
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by bobnetau »

Went to see Where the Crawdads Sing with my daughter.
We had both read the book, I thought the movie was exactly as I had pictured it but daughter felt the opposite.
She enjoyed the book more than I did.
I enjoyed the movie but that might have been influenced by the fact we went Gold class, 5 food choices and a bottle of wine.🤔
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Saw the Whitney Houston film too. Really worth going to see. The actress Naomi Aike, has a voice exactly like Whitney Houston if not better. All the cast were very, very good. Highly recommend.
Jim McCreadie
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by Jim McCreadie »

Netflix "Faraway". The throw-away one-liners between the two main characters are absolutely hilarious!!! Grab the popcorn, get seated comfortably and be entertained.
Q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'30"E

"What language are you talking in now? It appears to be Bo**ocks."
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

All Is Lost staring Robert Redford and no-one else.
Dating back to 2014, when he was no longer the very handsome cowboy of Butch Cassidy days. A thrilling One man act with no words spoken in the whole film. Something very originale to say the least.
Robert Redford portraying a lonely fisherman who's boat gets sunk in mid Ocean by a floating container, and he Is left to survive in a dinghy. His efforts at survival are Epic, but not enough to save him. Two large cargo boats passed him by after he used up all his flares and when he saw a small dim light in the distanze in desperation he lit a Fire in the dinghy which also caught Fire so he had to go into the Sea and drift away to a certain death. Very sad. But looking up he saw a small boat going towards the burning dinghy so he resurfaced just in time to catch a hand that saved his Life.
A really gripping movie. I'm surprised I didnt hear about It before.
It cost 8 million dollars to make but took in 13 million. Well done Robert Redford.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Took the grandchildren to see Willy Wonka. A magical Chocolate maker. Wonderful scenery and special effects, but to see the handsome Hugh Grant reduced to a meter high gnome with long green hair and white eyebrows was quite offputting.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

Just sat through Oppenheimer - that’s 3 hours of my life I’ll never get back. If you haven’t seen it, don’t rush.

Meg
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

Meg wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:23 pm Just sat through Oppenheimer - that’s 3 hours of my life I’ll never get back. If you haven’t seen it, don’t rush.

Meg
I totally agree Meg I only watched about an 2 hours of it and decided enough was enough.
meekan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by meekan »

I've just finished watching "Dunkirk Mission Impossible" on "MY 5" J.J. Chalmers narrating the story of the preparation, and the execution of the evacuation of British and French soldiers from war torn France. Chalmers himself a war veteran severely injured in Afghanistan gives an enlightening account of the fourteen days in 1940 that helped save Britain from defeat in WW2.
I was surprised to learn that the first ship to rescue troops was the Isle of Man steam packet companies "Monas Isle", she left France with1400 soldiers on board and although she was attacked by dive bombers and suffered some casualties she made it safely home. Older Three towners will remember her sailing from Ardrossan to Isle of Man on Glasgow fair Friday's.
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

meekan wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:31 pm Older Three towners will remember her sailing from Ardrossan to Isle of Man on Glasgow fair Friday's.

Absolutely, remember it often sailing from Ardrossan in the late fifties, more so during the fair fortnight.
glenshena
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by glenshena »

Meg wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:23 pm Just sat through Oppenheimer - that’s 3 hours of my life I’ll never get back. If you haven’t seen it, don’t rush.

Meg
Well Meg, I haven't seen It but according to the rest of the world its the best picture ever, winning 6 or 7 oscars. I'm tempted, but I couldn't sit for three hours to watch a movie.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

glenshena wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:23 am

Meg
Well Meg, I haven't seen It but according to the rest of the world its the best picture ever, winning 6 or 7 oscars. I'm tempted, but I couldn't sit for three hours to watch a movie.
I believe it’s being called a “critical success” Jean but I’ve still to meet anyone who sat through the 3 hour long saga and said they actually enjoyed it. Barbie on the other hand seems to have captured the popular vote as a mildly political, feminist movie. Haven’t seen it yet but as soon as Sky gets it, I’ll watch it.

Meg