The Moon

Show the photographs you've taken in this album.
Forum rules
Here you can show the photographs you've taken. Use a storage agent such as https://www.imgur.com - our forum attachment system has limited storage and therefore reserved for photos in our Threetowners' Photo Album.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

The Moon

Post by michaelm »

I took this photo from the Cross area in Stevenston last friday evening at around 9.45pm.

For anyone who's interested, search "Super Moon" or "Perigee Moon" There are some fantastic higher quality images to be seen.

Last edited by michaelm on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Moon

Post by Meg »

Fantastic photo Michael, George and I stood outside to get a better view last week. It also felt autumnal, a wee chill creeping in. Dont want the summer to end. I go back to work on Friday, and the kids go back next Tuesday. Time's flying by.

Meg
Vivc113
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Vivc113 »

Wow.
"Words are very.... unnecessary... they can only do harm".
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

I like the look of that place i checked out ryanairs website hoping to buy a cheap advanced one way ticket to it. to my annoyance none available :evil:
fly me to the moon ...
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

This is a very poor image caught on my phone's camera. We were on a A380 heading for Melbourne from Dubai when I first spotted the aircraft flying parallel with us, it made a beautiful image silhouetted against the moon and appeared much much closer than the image shows. We flew like that for about half an hour, and I was cursing having put my real camera inside my hold baggage - something I've never done before. :(

michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Thanks for the replies everyone, appreciated.

Always had a wee interest in Astronomy, even in my younger days. Patrick Moore was my version of David Attenborough.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

If you ever want to know if its a full moon, ask a teacher, I swear the kids are off the wall the day before, day of the full moon and the day after. Add a high wind to the mixture and you wouldnt believe how wild the children get. Wouldnt have believed this until I got involved.

Meg
iain
leading Poster
leading Poster

Post by iain »

Meg, My sister used to work in a care home and similarly found that the residents went bananas (I think that's the term psychologists use) when it was a full moon. Confusingly, decades of empirical psychological research into the effect of moon phase on behaviour overwhelmingly suggest that the moon has no direct effect on behaviour. Mind you, such research studies tend not to be carried out on children!

Iain
Richard

Post by Richard »

michaelm wrote:Always had a wee interest in Astronomy
And by the looks of that moon photo - you can take a pretty decent picture also.
Nice one.
:)
michaelm wrote:Patrick Moore was my version of David Attenborough.

And Arthur.C.Clarke was mine.
:wink:

Just a suggestion, Michael, why don't you start a wee 'Astronomy' type thread and combining your 2 talents,
do something similar to what Iain is doing with the 'wildlife' one, and show us pictures you've taken and educate
us at the same time. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll find it interesting, just avoid any fancy big words.
:lol:

BTW, don't know if you've seen it yet but when I first joined this site, a couple of years ago, I came across an old
thread, don't even remember what it was about, but on this thread someone had posted a diagram showing some
planets lined up in a row. It was quite profound (if that's the right word) when you see just how tiny Earth is in
comparison to the others. I've seen lots of these types of diagrams over the years but that one, for some reason,
has stuck in my mind.
Meg
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Meg »

iain wrote:Meg, My sister used to work in a care home and similarly found that the residents went bananas (I think that's the term psychologists use) when it was a full moon. Confusingly, decades of empirical psychological research into the effect of moon phase on behaviour overwhelmingly suggest that the moon has no direct effect on behaviour. Mind you, such research studies tend not to be carried out on children!

Iain
Seriously Iain, the difference today from the beginning of the week in the school is unreal. Mind you, if the moon can pull tides about on Earth, what's a few weans in the grand order of things :-)

Meg
5eulbdog7
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by 5eulbdog7 »

As we are mostly composed of water you would think there would be some effect. However the scientists say no. However a friend of mine said when he was a student he shared a flat with a guy who went bananas when the moon was full. My dog use to howl at the moon and he wasn't a werewolf at least I don't think he was. Anybody fancy a trip to Rumania?
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

As we are mostly composed of water you would think there would be some effect. However the scientists say no.
What do scientists know ... they know the discovered facts ... but can't prove a negative.
Ask for an explanation of why power lines and associated equipment goes awry during a solar storm. ( Minute electrical disturbances ).
Every electric motor in the world operates by moving a magnet around an object ... the electrical forces convert to other mechanical forces , you can witness this yourself, you don't need to be a scientist ...
The moon is a massive body rotating around the earth and its movement causes tides etc!, and there is a bulge in the oceans in the direction of the moon. This is an example of electro-magnetic force in action, you can see it happening.
Who can Prove that there is no effect on the biology of the brain ? Just a few mg of potent drugs can have large behavioural effects.
When you get right down to the very basics ... all matter is just a positive charge, or none, combined with others in varying clusters, and an electron moves constantly creating heat, except at absolute zero temperature which means they've stopped, every process is static, deid, corn breid, end of !
The very word ' menstrual ' should give you a big hint in your quest to understand the effects of the moon .. here endeth the lesson, Slainge mhath!