clicking on topics

Computer questions and any issues you have with these forums.
brvhrtjimmy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

clicking on topics

Post by brvhrtjimmy »

wonder if it is just me,or does anyone else have to click on a topic or even on a forum on numerous occasions to get it to open.

James Barr (Brvhrtjimmy)
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: clicking on topics

Post by Hughie »

Seems alright for me, Jim. I'm using a mobile Wi-Fi from three.co.uk in the three towns.
George Ardrossan
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by George Ardrossan »

Jimmy

Everything seems normal.

George
Penny Tray
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by Penny Tray »

There was a spell in the last week/ten days when I was having the same problem as Jimmy. I couldn't get a response from "View the latest post" and could only overcome it by clicking on the topic title, taking me back to page one, where I would scroll down to the latest post or, in bigger topics, then select the latest page and scroll down, all the latter actions were working perfectly. It was only the "View the latest post" facility that wasn't responding.

The problem passed.
Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Hi Jimmy,

Yes I've been having that problem for a while now; still ongoing. Not a huge problem, jus slows me up and annoys me a bit.

JD.
michaelm
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by michaelm »

Ditto brvhrtjimmy .. Like JD says though, It's more of a mild annoyance than a problem.

I'm thinking it might be more browser related - though I could be wrong - rather than anything to do with the forum itself. I use internet explorer and have got used to its wee nuances. And as the old saying goes .. it's better the devil you know.
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

It happens to me from time to time and I've found if it's not there in 4 seconds it best to Click the X to Stop the procedure and Click the Topic again and the page opens within 2 seconds.
I haven't found the cause yet but I suspect it is the settings within Windows for Prefetch ... after my last Windows Update almost every program I use now has issues which I'm slowly adjusting the settings back again. For the sake of system speed I Disable or set to Manual many of the processes which you can see in Services.msc but Windows update switches them all on again, so beware!
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

I used a system monitor freeware program to analyse the start-up of my pc and it identified a program which I had ' Uninstalled ' 2 months ago because I had found a better program to replace it. It's a Music playing program called Virtualdj and looks just like a Disc Jockey's double turntable and is excellent for organising a ' gig ', even your own wee garden party, however, it used up most of my RAM memory and hovered between 60 and 100% of my CPU ( Central Processing Unit, which meant that whenever another system function had to run it slowed the music down and therefore I replaced it with KMplayer (audio/visual player which is very light on system resources).
Although I had uninstalled virtualdj correctly it had left an 'orphan' file which autostarted with my pc start-up and went hunting for its related files which of course had been deleted thus it took 47 seconds of computer time before switching itself off. I deleted the orphan file and a few others I no longer needed and I am now back to a speedy startup and running.
If you want to get some technical details of everything running in the background on your pc download the freeware program 'Autoruns'.
WINDOWS 9 will be unveiled on 30th September and available in 2015.
lookee here;
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/ ... ber-named/
tartentumshi
Settling In
Settling In

Post by tartentumshi »

I've not been visiting the forum for quite a few months now, (such a shame, as I really like this forum), because it's been so slow. It is taking a good 10 to 20 seconds before anything comes up. I too have Internet Explorer, but have no problems anywhere else. I've only just this week got the latest version - Internet Explorer 11, thinking maybe that was the problem.

Have there been any changes your end, during the Summer maybe?

I'll keep trying.
Sausages are the boys!
Hughie
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Hughie »

I'm in every day and haven't noticed any slow down. I suppose all websites have instances when they are slow, but I haven't noticed it lately on our forum. I don't normally use Internet explorer - Firefox is my preferred browser.
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

For those who are still finding pages slow to load - try this, it works for me. After about 4 seconds waiting for a page I left-click on the X to the left of the wee house icon (the HOME page one) at the top left of your screen ... it stops 'loading' and is replaced by a curved arrow ( Reload icon) ... DON'T click it but click your original selection again and it should appear within a few seconds.
I've not found the exact reason yet but I suspect the page has already loaded into your computer's memory but another background process has taken over the CPU temporarily ... let me know if this method works for you or not.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

tartentumshi wrote:I've not been visiting the forum for quite a few months now, (such a shame, as I really like this forum), because it's been so slow. It is taking a good 10 to 20 seconds before anything comes up. I too have Internet Explorer, but have no problems anywhere else. I've only just this week got the latest version - Internet Explorer 11, thinking maybe that was the problem.

Have there been any changes your end, during the Summer maybe?

I'll keep trying.
Never had a problem with the Threetowners site ,apart from a wee hiccup when the server was down last week. :D