William Landsborough - Australian Explorer (Apr 2001)

Archivist
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

William Landsborough - Australian Explorer (Apr 2001)

Post by Archivist »

To: <threetowners @topica.com>
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2001

William Landsborough - Australian Explorer

William Landsborough the son of Stevenston Parish's revered minister David Landsborough was commissioned in Australia to lead one of three search parties for the Burke and Wills expedition in 1862. Landsborough was to start from the north, at the Gulf of Carpentaria, and travel south, hopefully meeting up with Burke and Wills. Landsborough was also commissioned to explore the area, and to report on any land suitable to be opened for farming and development.

Unfortunately, Burke and Wills had tragically died before any of the search parties could reach them, but Landsborough discovered and named the Barkly Tablelands, after Sir Henry Barkly, the Governor of Victoria, and was the first white man to cross the continent from north to south. He was also at one time partner of Nat Buchannan, drover, horseman and noted cattleman in Queensland and the Northern Territory. Landsborough was noted as a skilful explorer, who had a good relationship with the Aboriginals, and learnt many things from them to his advantage, especially a knowledge of bush tucker which he was to put to good advantage on more than one occasion. He later became a police magistrate and Commissioner of Crown Lands based at Burketown on the Gulf of Carpentaria.

Landsborough re-married after the death of his first wife who had borne him three daughters. His second wife, Maria Theresa, bore him three sons, as well as having other children from her first marriage. William Landsborough died in 1886, at the age of 61, and was buried at Caloundra where he had retired after a busy life. However, the Queensland Government in its wisdom, decided he should be buried in the Brisbane General Cemetery at Toowong, and in 1913 his remains were interred there.

Hi Hugh
When I was young I went to Landsborough Church In Saltcoats. Is this any connection to the Landsborough that you mentioned?
David Young.

Hi David,
A search for the name "Landsborough" in the search engine at the bottom of the opening page at threetowners will reveal how important Dr David Landsborough has been for the three towns - specifically for Saltcoats and Stevenston.

Australia is a very young country and has little history in comparison to the UK. The Burke and Wills saga in which David Landsborough's son William played a part is one of those stories that every Australian child learns at school.

Hugh McCallum

Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001

I am looking at a painting on my wall by a Mrs Andrews of Saltcoats and there is a church which I remember well on the east front at Saltcoats near the labour club - between the Saracens head and the mission coast home - was that the Landsborough church - i wish my memory was better - has anyone ever seen the petrified forest in Saltcoats harbour - it is only see-able at the really low spring or neap tides - way out on the rocks in a line with the pavilion (gone about a year) and the custom house - wasn't that the best museum in the world for the year or so it existed about 1970

Scott McCallum

Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001

Landsborough church was a big old red sandstone building which stood on the site of the labour club across the road from the Mission Coast home, on the sea side facing Ardeer. I don't know about it being a relief church. Regarding the petrified forest, I have seen it. There was a time when they were going to deepen the harbour which would have meant using explosives but when they discovered the petrified forest, they abandoned the idea.
David Young.