XP end of Support!!

Computer questions and any issues you have with these forums.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

XP end of Support!!

Post by stivis »

You don't need to panic , but support will be ceasing for XP, so at least an upgrade is imminent ,.But as said the system will work for years yet,
"Well the worlds your oxtar" as Dell* would say(see computer humour.........Oh please yourselves)

XP is about 12-14 years old and vista about 10 ish...Windows 7 is about 7 .so there is Windows 8 the current and Windows 9 approaching at some point
That ties you up to the Microsoft platforms, leaving Linux more for the well, generally more Geek type that is said with a high degree of respect ,or the Macs
I suppose the Macs look cool and are a bit of a fashion statement , and work well into the bargain

So what to do with XP ? I kind of fancy the Mac although I have equally been torn to Linus as ,well I don't really know .......So in eighteen months I'll still have done nothing about it
The lesson to this story is, don't panic when MS sends the notices at startup , just tick the don't show again box and well forget about it
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: XP end of Support!!

Post by John Donnelly »

Well, while as Stivis says there is no need to panic, here in NL, we are being very strongly advised by the banks to move to another platform as they no longer can guarantee the security of the internet banking system under XP.

If something goes wrong, and it can be shown that the customer has not been actively protecting their machines, (antivirus s-ware / firewalls / etc, and now an unsupported S/W), the bank can and will refuse to compensate.

I'm planning to go to Windows 8 next week; - not looking forward to that. If there is radio silence for a while, put it down to the learning curve. I'm off to the the bookshop this afternoon for the Dummies handbook. Hope it caters for my extreme dumness.

An anxious JD. Wish me luck.

PS; The processor on my current laptop, (5 years old), cannot be upgraded to accomodate W8, so I need a new machine as well. I'll see you guys in time for Xmas. :(
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

I would say that feeble excuse is typical and flawed from a bank,for the most part it's down to them ,If I was going to hack a system I would attack the main frame,unless you can worm your way from a desktop/laptop,that from what I hear is hard going,
Has RBS not had about 6 crashes from January?
the bank can and will refuse to compensate.
....While not something I'd particularly relish ,I'd drag them to court
John Donnelly
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by John Donnelly »

Not so Stivis, they'd hack me, not the bank. I've got responsibilitie too.

JD
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by stivis »

Last edited by stivis on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.