unwanted toolbars

Computer questions and any issues you have with these forums.
stivis
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: unwanted toolbars

Post by stivis »

There is another one that surfaces Lucky Leap , fortunately it's an easy uninstall , , it is for creating traffic., simple search and uninstall via "add and remove programs" ...
Ask has a newer page when it's requesting installation so watch for it
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

brian f wrote:
stivis wrote:Check that the ball and rest of mouse are clean, use something like wet wipes or surgical spirits(wet wipes are the better option)

Is it a USB mouse?
If it is and you used the same port for the second mouse.
try this ....I assume that the problem keeps reoccurring.
switch off computer ......disconnect mouse..........reboot computer without mouse .......plug in mouse to different port.....make sure it's working ....then reboot computer and it should be fine

I've made the assumption it's a cable mouse
Yes it is a cable mouse Stivis i will give it a go tomorrow thanks, will let you know the outcome
OK now Stivis ,changed port no problem. thanks pal.
brian f
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by brian f »

chriso wrote:Finally got rid of the ask toolbar by simply uninstalling fire fox and the installing the latest version. How simple was that?
I also rans full scans with windows defender which takes about 4 and a half hrs , and found and removed a trojan downloader.
Hopefully there is nothing more lurking on my computer, but one never knows nowadays with all the clever hackers out there.
I noticed an add on for firefox which is called light beam,which is supposed to show who is tracking you online.
here's a link if you use firefox and are interested.
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/lightbeam/

Good news Chriso , If the full scan took 4and a half hours i should imagine it probably had to scan over 200,000 files .
Always have a quick scan when prompted it takes a minute or two.
little plum
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by little plum »

chriso wrote:I have inadvertantly installed the ask toolbar, which must have been bundled with something else Iwas downloading, and find it impossible to get rid of. I have spent hours in different forums looking for solutions but nothing has worked so far.
Chris, what you have is classed as a PUP and I'm not talking about dogs here. It's a "Potentialy Unwanted Programme" thats bundled into a download, and lets be honest , how many of us read the terms and conditions before we hit the accept button. I would suggest that you download " Malwarebytes" it's free, run the programme and remove unwanted items then uninstall.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off - Abe Lemons