Howie's Rolls - who knows the recipe

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Howie's Rolls - who knows the recipe

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

I remember being told that when Howie's in Countess Street closed the baker was Hume Black and he moved to McAllister's Kandy Bar bakery in Hamilton St. He also taught 'Bakery' at night school. Howie's rolls were unique but the closest I have seen are ciabatta styles but without the glaze. Does anyone know the recipe? My other favourite was a 3.15am purchase of freshly delivered Morton's Rolls to an all night shop on Dumbarton Road just around the corner from First bus's Scotstoun garage. But Morton's changed the recipe. Much had been put on the internet and then it was revealed that Jamie Oliver's campaign for better school food had influenced Mortons into changing the recipe. Less SALT and Less FAT. Known in Ayrshire as Glasgow rolls they are still a treat but not as good as the original .... it may be a long shot but does anyone know the original recipe?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Re: Howie's Rolls - who knows the recipe

Post by morag »

Morrisons probably had the best rolls at least in the 3toons. I don't think there was a secret recipe, probably just flour, yeast, salt,water maybe a dab of sugar to help the yeast. Brush with a salt water wash before baking for that nice crisp finish.
"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
C.S.Lewis
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

are you referring to Morrisons of Stevenston or Morrisons the supermarket?
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

The bakery in Stevenston. Pop's shop was packed after church with folk wanting 'well fired rolls' and the Sunday papers.
C.S.Lewis
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Just by chance today I bought some loose ciabatta rolls from Sainsbury's instore bakery in Irvine and although smaller and square in shape they are very close in texture and taste to HOWIE's. Let me know what you think if you get the chance to try them, thanks
morag
Mega Heid Poster
Mega Heid Poster

Post by morag »

Ciabatta rolls and bread are pretty good but the ones I've had here tend to be 'cheuch' in the crust and too open textured inside, tasty though!
C.S.Lewis
danmac
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by danmac »

I remember in the 50's there was a bakery shop situated on the corner of Raise Street just opposite the station. We used to buy our morning rolls direct from the bakery. Oh the smell was just great. Does anyone else remember it or its name?
wellparkno9
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Post by wellparkno9 »

I knew it as Elliots,but my father called it Grey Taylors
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

ARB - my brother Gordon McCallum started his apprenticeship about 1962 in Herdman's bakery (shop in Dockhead Street and bakery entrance in Countess Street) and at that time Hume Black was in charge. They both moved together when Herdman's closed to the Candy Bar. I don't know if he ever worked in Howie's?

Scott McCallum
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Vaguely remember DJ Nelson telling me it was Hume Black but it was definitely Howie's Rolls and it was Countess Street near or next to the Lanni Bro's 3 Blind Mice Cafe. I bought myself a christmas present of a basic breadmaker and am trying to recreate the ciabatta type of rolls I remember as 'Howie's' and also the original Morton's Glasgow Crispy Roll before they admitted they were persuaded to change to a healthier lower fat & salt content mix by a eejit celebrity tv chef. (see Morton's website and forum for details).
I remember some wimmin cake-bakers who attended night-classes telling me Hume Black was their Lecturer ... would that be after he retired from the Kandy Bar ?
If Herdman's was Dockhead Street was it next to Gregor Watson's ?
Scott McCallum
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Scott McCallum »

Herdman's was an L shape completely around Gregor Watson's with the shopfront on Dockhead Street and the entrance/delivery to the bakery in Countess Street (just about) across the road from Howie's bakery.

Scott McCallum
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

I have no memory of it there ... I know the Cummine's had several shops in that stretch, Bagatelle being one but also one Mrs Cummine ran as a fancy gifts shop and possibly a Pullars of Perth dry cleaners shop with green vitreous enamel panel to the side of the doorway, Ian Simpson broke it, a tale of love lost.. Off to Oz this morning, will test all their rolls and breads just for the hell of it, as long as they have butter, by the way, anybody shopping in Kilwinkie go into Beth Brownings and buy a 6 pack of tattie scones, they are like no others, the Brownings ones you see in other shops like SPAR's are not the same. World's Best 'tottie scones' !