old fashioned scottish muffins - how are they made

Post your recipes here. Please use *newtopic* for each recipe.
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

old fashioned scottish muffins - how are they made

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

Brownings have now ceased making old style muffins. Does anyone know of a bakery who still makes them. The ones in Morrison's are ok! but not like the originals. They must have yeast in them I suspect and maybe need proving time and the best I ever tasted were baked in a wee bakery/tearoom in Paisley and were slightly yellow and almost caramelised black top and bottom. Help!
margb
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: old fashioned scottish muffins - how are they made

Post by margb »

Are you looking for a recipe that doesn't have yeast to prove muffins. I've an Elizabeth Craig book that has one and they are called menus muffins. I've not cooked them but ill post the recipe if you would like.
ardrossanrentboy
Heid Poster
Heid Poster

Re: old fashioned scottish muffins - how are they made

Post by ardrossanrentboy »

Thanks margb, I don't mind yeast based, in fact I suspect the reason bakers have stopped making them is the time taken for the dough to rise by 'proving', probably twice, when old style yeast is used. Some of the online recipes I've looked at rely on the instant effect of chemicals for the gases to be released but it does affect the taste. Apparently professional bakers have always retained some mixed dough for the following day and just add more water, flour and yeast for a quick start and this way the same yeast (a living culture) has survived as an entity for hundreds of years. (believable urban myth)